Campaign Log: Journals of House Stav

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Campaign Log: Journals of House Stav

Postby lewisobrien » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi all,

Our group decided to begin a log on our campaign (with the GM encouraging us players with the promise of extra XP!) so before we get on to the journal entries, here's some quick history and background information on our House.

House Stav.

Founded during Robert's Rebellion in the Stormlands, Lord Ranin was elevated to lordship from a simple knight for his services. The house consists of a small castle and a hamlet, devoutedly religious, the Stav's also employ the services of a Septon, as well as a house Maester. The surrounding lands include House Mason, the trade centre of the region due to being the only nearby house with a marketplace. As well as this House Cirrus's lands lie close by, rival's to House Stav, they sided with the Targaryens during the rebellion but were forgiven following Robert's victory.

Lord Ranin Stav (PC): A 34 year old man and very pious, Ranin spent his younger years as a knights fighting against the tyranny of King Aerys and has now settled into Lordship well, although much of his time nowadays is spent trying to curb the spending of his wife, Walda.

Captain Praeston Stav (PC): At 21, Praeston has already risen well to become Captain-of-the-guard, his father died young and as such he was largely raised by his uncle, Lord Ranin. Praeston rarely goes anywhere without Hantu, his Snowcat companion and is fanatically religious.

Darmin Stav (PC): A 54 year old begging brother, Darmin is uncle to Lord Ranin and spent his early years as a sell sword, only to turn to the Seven in a time of crisis and vow never to strike another man with a weapon again. He is very well built and deadly with his fists.

Kyrilu (PC): A 35 year old retainer to House Stav, Kyrilu is the Head-Scout of the House and as such spends much of his time in the surrounding land of the castle and hamlet. He is deadly with his bow and is known in House Stav for his exceptionally blunt honesty.

Ser Freydor Haufmann (PC): A knight of Lord Renly Baratheon, Freydor is well trained in the knightly combats, mastering both sword and lance, he has been sent to Stav lands by Lord Renly due to his reputation at solving religious incidents peacefully and is aided by his good friend, Brendon Pyke, a philosopher and expert in many religions.

Lady Walda Stav (NPC): Originally of House Frey, Lady Walda was reluctant to marry into such a young House. Since her marriage to Lord Ranin however, she has attempted to fit in but to this day, her impressive abilities to pick out expensive deals has been a drain of the House's treasury.

Septon Eston (NPC): A simple, devouted man of the cloth, Aston is very loyal to both the Seven and House Stav. The religious passion that burns within him is matched only by his appetite and unquenchable thirst, leading him to spend almost as much time at the town inn as at the sept.

Stevil Stav (NPC): Lord Ranin and Walda's son, Stevil is 13 years old and his privileged background shows in his somewhat plump build. He has also been coddled by his mother and it shows in his love of fine clothes and food and lack of interest in combat training and army command.

The game is played every Sunday, starting between 15:00 and 16:00 (GMT) through Skype.
Last edited by lewisobrien on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Campaign Log: Journals of House Stav

Postby lewisobrien » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 pm

I continued with Stevil's training today, at 13 the young boy should be much more advanced and yet he lacks both the skill and motivation to become even half the soldier his father is, attempting to get out of sparring early today just because it was raining. We live in the Stormlands for the Seven's sake! I suppose the boy can't be blamed too harshly , his mother's constant coddling is the real reason for his lack of martial prowess, as she proved after the practice session, dressing him up in the most repulsive doublet that she had bought at the Mason marketplace earlier in the day.

During the evening meal Hantu coughed up a furball on Lady Walda's hearth rug, while it cleaned up fine, the good Lady Stav is still livid and demanding a new one be bought, only further spending that the House can't afford will come of it. Later in the meal we had a visit from Septon Eston, a surprising event as he was still sober despite it being well into the evening. Even more worrying was his news that a foul heretic was spreading his blasphemous lies about the hamlet, preaching of some "Red God". Quite rightly, Lord Ranin ordered us to investigate, as such myself, Lord Ranin, Darmin and Kyrilu went down to the inn to put a stop to it.

When we arrived we found the man sat at a table at the inn, robed in red he openly admitted his heretical beliefs and began preaching. Obviously a moved to silence him but was abruptly stopped by Brother Darmin, by the Seven he is strong! Although why he refused to let me strike the unbeliever I don't know. The Red Priest then attempted to convince us that he had been sent by Lord Stannis, until we have more information, Lord Ranin has deemed he is allowed to stay but is not to preach openly in the streets, a lenient choice to be sure! In his place I would have run him out of town at the very least. Later in the day a knight arrived as way of Lord Renly's response to our raven about the Red Priest, Ser Freydor has been sent to come to a peaceful outcome. He seems like a competent man, but why a devouted man of the Seven would suffer a non-believer to preach openly is beyond me.

As I thought, Lady Walda is demanding to have the rug replaced and has some how persuaded Lord Ranin to agree with her, what my uncle is thinking of I don't know but he has demanded that myself, Ser Freydor, Darmin and Kyrilu to accompany her and the money, En route to House Mason, we were stopped by some guards of House Mason who searched our goods for forbidden items. After the search we continued to House Mason, reaching their lands by nightfall, while Ser Freydor and Darmin took Lady Walda to Mason castle, myself and Kyrilu set up camp. While unpacking, I realised our gold storage box had been tampered with, upon further inspection I realised all the gold had been emptied. Immediately guessing that we had been robbed by the "guards" at the checkpoint I skin changed into Hantu who was out hunting. I was able to quickly pick up the scent I tracked the bandits to a cave in the mountains, once I returned to my own body I told the rest of the party that I believed I could track the men who robbed us, after some strange looks for collapsing from my fellows they agreed and I was able to lead them to where Hantu had tracked the bandits.

After we met back up Hantu and were approaching the bandit camp, we were attacked. Darmin, mounted atop his brave mule, Bombo, charged right at the only mounted bandit, grabbing him and dragging him on to Bombo with him, meanwhile, I was struck by a arrow from a hidden archer, I knew immediately that it was a horrific wound but tried to focus as two bandits charged at me. Hantu disappeared from view before my eyes and just a few seconds later I heard the strangled cry from the direction that the arrow had come from. While the battle continued to rage, Kyrilu continued rained arrows down on the bandits, defeating one of the bandit archers, as well as one approaching myself. Ser Freydor disengaged himself from the bandits he fought from atop his mount to aid Darmin who was losing his battle with the bandit leader. I was then able to fell the remaining approaching bandit with my halberd swiftly, before mounting back up to aid the Begging Brother. As I looked up at the fight continuing with the one remaining bandit, where both Darmin and the leader continued to fight, Bombo the brave mule, took flight, with both men still on top of him, both myself and Ser Freydor followed, eventually finding both men still fighting in the dirt. I attempted to jump from my horse straight at the bandit leader, planning to impale him with my halberd, unfortunately I mistimed the jump and hit a tree. By the time I collected myself the last bandit was defeated.

We regrouped and headed back to camp, after looting the bodies and inspecting the wounded, as well as the arrow wound I had taken, Hantu and been pierced through by an arrow but still lived and brave brother Darmin had taken a nasty wound to the head as well as a number of other injuries.

***I plan on writing a few more of these before the end of the week and the next game session as I'm around 3 weeks behind the actual events of the game***
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Postby vonpenguin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:11 pm

This is for every session except for today's

Journal of Lord Ranin Stav

As my previous journal has become full I am starting a new one. For clarity I shall summarize my previous several entries.

During a family meal with my wife Lady Walda, Son Stevil, My Nephew Preaston, our guard captain, Uncle Darmin, the devout begging brother, and cousin Cyralu, the Huntsmaster, Septon Eston came to us from his sept in the local Hamlet complaining of a heritic preaching nonsense to the smallfolk, as a devout man I offered the Septon shelter from the rain and Preaston, Cyralu, Darmin and I rode to the village to find this man. We discovered him in the local tavern, calling himself Theros of the flame he claimed to be a priest of Rylor sent by Lady Syliese, wife of Lord Bareatheon, Liege of Dragonstone and Brother to our own Liege Lord Renly Baratheon and the King himself. Convincing him to stay at out Castle while we verified this with both brothers via raven we waited several days for a response.

During this time Preaston’s snowcat, Hantu vomited on one of Walda’s rather hideous carpets. Petty but it will come into play later. We received word not from either brother but from Lord Stannis’ wife asking we treat Theros with all the respect of an honored guest. Waiting a day for word from Lord Renly we received none and reluctantly let the Red priest go under the condition he not preach openly in our lands.

Later we received a visit from Ser Freydor Haufmann, a knight in Lord Renly’s service experienced in settling conflicts of faith. On his advice we amended Theros’ conditions so that he may preach but only to those that ask of his god. Walda approached me during this meeting asking for funds and guards to replace the so called “ruined” rug. I tried to go with her to curb her wastful habits but she… convinced… me to stay. I asked my family members and Ser Fredor to accompany her instead.

The next day passed uneventfully, excepting my assisting Stevil with his carvings in exchange for him spending extra time in the practice yard, I’ll make a proper knight of the boy yet; his work really is quite good though, were he not the heir I would probably encourage him to pursue it more completely. As it is I may be able to use it to help him understand command better.

That Knight Cyrilu and Ser Freydor arrived back at Castle Nilatel, bearing most of the money they had been sent with and word that bandits posing as guards of house Mason had attempted to rob them. Darmin and Preaston were wounded in the fighting. I immediately sent a raven to Lord Mason, stating my anger at this attack on my own family members and requesting access to his lands to crush these bandits personally. The troops bgan to Muster and several of our men were unable to be found. Going into town one of the local farmers, a man named Clive, indicated a suspicious smell coming from the woods near his lands. It turned out to be our men, dressed as peasents, armed with short blades and bearing wounds from what we later discovered was a morning star. Theros of the flame claimed these men attacked him unprovoked and he defended himself. Unable to prove him wrong and him seeming sincere we asked that he leave to prevent further incidents, he refused. At the castle we had the officers question the remaining men about the matter. Having not received word from house Mason however, Freydor, Cyrilu and I took out our Cavalrymen and rode to Mason to speak face to face. Lord Mason was not there but we did discover what happened with our men, at least in part. When recounting events to Preaston and Uncle Darmin Preaston became very evasive, after questioning him he admitted to sending the men to confront the Priest though he denies telling them to attack. I will need to deal with this matter soon.

Lady Mason informed me her husband was away on business at Storm’s end, we sent him a raven with details on events, once more requesting his permission to assist with his bandit troubles. With trade for the entire region threatened I cannot imagine him denying aid. I met back with Walda as well. Apparently in lack of Pyshical coin she simply could not wait and offered to pay the merchant an extra 50 gold at a later date for her precious rug. She is worried about our house being perceived as beggars but if she does not learn control our Son will have nothing to inherit but mismatched, silk drapes!

We have just returned to our home, Now to decide what to do next.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Paedrig » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 am

Concerning Stevil it might be more than time to send him to another house (or knight) so he learn how to be the man he must be if the house want to survive. >:)
Without other alternatives (he is the only son, right?) and not many other young members of the family who could assist him, the future will look grimm if Stevil did not change significant.
And with a dotting mother and a father who seam not willing to give his boy the right lections this means...
If he stays he will allways be tempted to ask his mother for help if his training seems to hard and his teachers to harsh...
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby lewisobrien » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Once we had returned to camp we discussed what to do with the recovered gold, giving it to Lady Walda to be spent on a rug did not seem the effort and blood it had taken to reclaim it. After some discussion it was decided that the uninjured members of the party, Ser Freydor and Kyrilu, were to return with all haste with the funds to warn Lord Ranin of the attack, while myself, Hantu and Brother Darmin were to remain at House Mason with Lady Walda and await instruction.

The next day when we arrived at Mason castle, Lady Walda was not too pleased -to put it lightly- with our news that the money had been taken back to her husband, believing that the loss of her spending money gave the impression of poverty to our hosts. Due to her disfavour towards us, we decided to remain at an inn in the town known as the Scurrying Squirrel, rather than stay at the castle. While we were staying at the inn we discovered that the twins of Lord Cirrus were also staying at the Scrurrying Squirrel, while it appeared to be coincidental we kept an eye on them and made note to inform Lord Ranin when he arrived.

Three days after our arrival at House Mason, Lord Ranin arrived, with both Ser Freydor and Kyrilu. After informing us of recent developments at House Stav he told us of the mustering of our troops to march into Mason lands to deal with this bandit threat. Unfortunately at this time it was also discovered that three men of the crusaders had gone missing. When their bodies were found I realised they were the same three men that I had sent to keep an eye on and coerce the Red Priest. With some persuasion I told my uncle of my involvement, once we had returned to House Stav he decided to see fit to demote me from Captain of the Guard to Captain of the Garrison. I did not press the matter, however, why Lord Ranin would not use this excuse to remove the heretic from our lands is beyond me.

Later I chose to inspect the garrison I was now in charge of, while I tried to explain my new position to the leader of the garrison as something else, both he and the men seem to see it for what it is. A demotion. And are curious as to why. During the inspection I was informed of a disturbance in the hamlet, I took a dozen men of the garrison with me and went to investigate. Just outside the castle gates I found Lord Ranin, Brother Darmin and Ser Freydor talking with what seemed to be the leader of a large number of armed men outside the castle. Sensing trouble I ordered my men to follow and investigated. After joining the discussion I learnt that the intruders were a band of mercenaies, intending on staying at the hamlet for the night on their way to their potential employer. When asked about their leader we were told he was at the local in. Leaving 6 of my men to watch the castle gate, I accompanied the rest of the group, along with the remaining guards and Hantu to speak to this captain.

Upon our arrival at rhe packed inn I ordered the guards to remain outside, not wanting to cause an unneeded fuss and entered. The mercenaries were being entertained by a very drunk Septon Eston preaching at them while clutching two flagons and balancing on a table. Ignoring this, we found the captain of the mercenaries and he and Lord Ranin went about discussion of their stay here. It was discovered that the mercenaries new employer was to be Lord Cirrus, something Ranin took interest in, knowing that his old rival would take any advantage over House Stav. He then attempted to convince this mercenary to take employment with House Stav, thus robbing Cirrus of men and granting us more. While this discussion was ongiong I was struck from behind by a flying flagon of ale. Turning I realised the culprit was Septon Eston who, by this point was almost incomprehensible and cursing the chuckling mercenaries to the Seven Hells. Unfortunately for the good Septon, Hantu took the thrown beverage as an attack and promptly tackled him to the floor, ensuring further laughter from the surrounding men. I quickly pulled the snowcat from the drunk, angry and confused man of the faith and helped him from the inn with the help of Darmin. Once outside I left the Begging Brother to deal with the Septon and told Hantu to remain outside as to not cause any further problems in the crowded inn. I returned to our table and kept watch while our Lord discussed the conditions of the mercenaries new contract with their leader.

Around 15 minutes after this, Hantu barged back into the inn, he was soaken through from the rain and some angry curses were thrown his way when he shook himself dry. I could sense his anger at being left out in the rain, but also something else, I followed him back outside to find Darmin holding a pig while being attacked by three mercenaries. I ran to his aid but by the time I reached him he had already knocked all of his foes unconscious, and the pig was making a bid for freedom. Upon asking Darmin, I learnt that he had discovered the three men attempting to steal a pig from one of our townsfolk. At this moment Ser Freydor also arrived and we both followed after Hantu as he tracked the frightened pig. We returned it to its rigthful owner and threw the three subdued men into the castle dungeons for attempted theft and assault on a man of the faith. Not logn later we were informed that Lord Ranin had come to an agreement with the mercenaries. Upon hearing this I decided it was time to retire to the castle for the evening.

The following day, the thee mercenaries were discpilined, being given a number of lashing by Brother Darmin as punishment. We also received word that representatives of House Cirrus were to arrive in an attempt to outbid us for the mercenaries. Upon their arrival we discovered the identity of these representatives to be the twins, Drake and Dan. Identical, even in the way they dressed, they also finished one another's sentences. The two men were armed with a greatsword each and armoured in black, bearing the heraldry of House Cirrus. After taking Guest Rights they haggled for a short time over the mercenaries employment, however the ease at which they gave up leads me to believe their real reason for visiting was to make our new soldiers even more expensive, as well as to scout our holdings, only time will tell if I am corrct.
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eisen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Exelent post mate. Now we finally know what happend to the Red Preist that everyone was so concerend about ;) Also I think saying that Praeston told the soilders to 'coerse' him might be sugar coating it a little. I doubt Praeston would have lost much sleep if Theris of the Flame turned up dead ;)
Eisen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby lewisobrien » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Perhaps not, but what if Ranin found the journal and read that I had the soldiers ambush the priest in a dark alley... which he didn't anyway!

Praeston is nothing if not thorough :)
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Postby lewisobrien » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 am

Following the acquisition of our new mercenary unit, we found ourselves with very little living space in the barracks. As such Lord Ranin thought it prudent to have a new, short term barracks built, and as we had paid them well we convinced the mercenaries to be our labour for this. While maintaining my duties as Garrison Captain I oversaw this construction. This new barracks will be little more than a shaft, however its an extra cost that the House can barely afford thanks to Lord Walda's continuous spending.

Today Lady Walda has announced that House Stav will hold a Masquerade Ball. For no other reason other than to have it from what I can figure. Why Lord Ranin continues to stand for her complete and utter lack of monetary value and I can't help but feel that her constant attempts to run House Stav into the ground now far outweigh the alliance with House Frey that her marriage to Uncle Ranin bought. Now that I have been linked to the incident involving the dead soldiers and the Red Priest I dare not attempt to gain the support of anyone else from the House against her, but either way, something must clearly be done about her. Tomorrow we ride to House Mason to shop for the Ball, it will give me an opportunity to think things through, as well as pick up my new armour that I ordered from the Mason blacksmith a few weeks ago.

Before we set off to House Mason today, Ser Freydor -with the consent of Lord Ranin- took Stevil on as his squire, I'm surprised Lady Walda has agreed to this, but after watching the Freydor training him today before we left, he clearly has more patience with the boy and the time that has been freed up from training him allows me to concentrate on saving Stav from our good Lady of the House. Soon after their training session ended Lord Ranin, Lady Walda, Brother Darmin, Ser Freydor, Kyrilu and myself set off for House Mason, the 12 hour journey gave me time to formulate a plan to deal with the Lady. I could not think of anyway of removing her without her death, certainly not without causing a serious incident with House Frey. Making her death seem a tragic accident will allow House Stav to come through without losing honour. While Lord Ranin is honour-bound to love and protect his wife, I do not believe he will long mourn her passing if I am successful. I plan on using my Seven-given gift with animals to control a wild animal while at camp and attach her while she sleeps. I feel confident I can sneak by the guards with most predatory animals, however, after the deed is done the animal will most likely be killed. A pity, but a needed sacrifice. Because of this I cannot use Hantu, while Lady Walda must be eliminated, I will not lose Hantu in the process. I

made an attempt at taking control of a boar tonight when we camped once everyone except Kyrilu and Ser Freydor else had gone to sleep, however, the animal was stubborn and resisted my attemps, throwing me out of its mind. When I returned to my own body I head the beast squeal not too far from the camp. Kyrilu used the opportunity to hunt, quickly tracking and slaying the beast, further adding to the failure of my first attempt, once I am rested I could have tried to take control of the boar again, something that won't be possible now.

The following day we arrived at House Mason, Walda immediately dragged Ranin off to an expensive costume shop, leaving myself, Darmin, Kyrilu, Freydor and Stevil to explore the marketplace ourselves. I visited the blacksmith, pickign up my ordered armour and selling my old set. As usual the merchant refused to give an agreeable price, claiming the armour was badly damaged, I managed to beat the swindler up to 300 silver stags before relenting. The cutpurse will probably give the damn thing a rub down and sell it on for almost double that too.

We left House Mason around midday and made better pace than I would have thought considering some of the things Lady Walda bought. Despite this pace we had to camp in the wilderness again and I once again used the opportunity to try to sense an animal to use for my assassination. As luck would have it I found a shadowcat hunting in the lowland, a rare but not unheard of sight. I easily overcame its resistances, being used to slipping into the skin of Hantu. I took a few seconds to orientate myself, which gave the fox the cat was hunting a chance to escape. Not that I cared, I now had the means to hunt much more important prey.

In this form I was able to easily sneak by the guards and didn't even hear any indication that Hantu sleeping in my tent had heard me. I confidently prowled into the tent of Lady Walda and Lord Ranin and prepared to attack, knowing that I if the first attack failed to kill her outright, Lord Ranin and the guards outside would quickly overwhelm me.

I leapt at the Frey-woman, sinking both teeth and claws into her. Finding vital areas to attack, I knew I'd caused some grievous wounds, but not fatal ones. She awoke faster than I expected and let out an ear splitting scream of pain and fear, at this I renewed my attack, knowing Ranin and the guards would soon be upon my shadowcat puppet I lashed out again. causing more howls of pain but not the deathly silence I;d hoped for, after this Kyrilu and Hantu burst into the tent, at the same time that Ranin struck home with his bed-axe (who sleeps with an axe??). Before I could make a last desperate lunge at my target, Kyrilu sunk an arrow into my flank shortly before Hantu sunk his claws into my back, tearing me from the cat's body, I awoke in cold sweat and pain as if my body was being butchered to the sounds of battle outside my tent. I stumbled out to find Ser Freydor also emerging from his tent, as well as Ranin dumping the body of my recent host on the floor, before returning to his tent to tend to his wife. While Walda had been badly wounded she somehow survived the encounter and I cannot help but think I might have been successful were it not for my own snowcat.

As no one in the group suspects me for being a skinchanger I avoided suspicion and my only hopes were that Walda would succumb to her wounds. No one got any sleep for the rest of the night and in the morning we continued our journey home, carrying Walda in the cart. When we reached House Stav again, our Maester took over care over her while the rest of us tried to continue with our daily business, as well as prepare for the Ball which was due in just over a weeks time. During this time I continued to oversee the construction of the makeshift barracks, while hoping for word of Walda's death, knowing there was little else I could do now we were back at House Stav.

*This week was a long session and the second half of the night's thrilling events will follow in a day or two, no more possessed shadowcat maulings though I'm afraid :(*
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eisen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 am

An attempted murder most foul! Methinks your skinchanging gifts come not from the Seven, but a far more infernal source.
Eisen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby lewisobrien » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am

Maybe, but Praeston believing them to be gifts of the seven is the only way I can use them while remaining true to his character
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm

lewisobrien wrote:Maybe, but Praeston believing them to be gifts of the seven is the only way I can use them while remaining true to his character

Nah.
I smell player rationalization.
He could also be torn. Folklore is strong in suggesting it is NOT a gift from the seven.
He might still believe it to be (or wanting to believe it to be) but cracks in the conviction might be interesting in light of character development.
Sending his 'cat of to resist temptation, failing, rationalizing, praying for a sign, rationalizing a sign, etc.
Think of it as an unsettling but satisfying fetish.
Might make it more interesting than 'i have a remote-controlled tiger'.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Legate » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Wow, Dark Side Point! That was pretty dark, not to mention coldly executed. This character is definetly an "ends justify the means" type of guy (attempted to have a priest roughed up, now tried to assassinate the Lady of his own house.) This is why I wish I could get my group interested in playing this game...I live this kind of politicing. 8) Loved how his own Animal Companion helped to thwart the attempt.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby lewisobrien » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Nah.
I smell player rationalization.

Perhaps. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have made him both a devouted man of the Seven and a skinchanger, as you said, it is hard to play out convincingly, especially when you add the fact he's rather scheming and (as Legate said) "the ends justify the means" kind of a character too. Suppose I'm stuck with it now and am simply trying to make Praeston as skinchangery/pious/devious as possible >:)
lewisobrien
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eisen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm

It seems even my most innocent NPCs tend to prompt the characters to unleash all kinds of evil murderous plots in honorable religious players. Where did I dig up this lot?!?!
Eisen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Legate » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:35 pm

"I probably wouldn't have made him both a devouted man of the Seven and a skinchanger, "

It probably would not have made much difference; This guy is blindly fanatical towards his house...better watch him, this is the kind of PC that could bring the Holy Fire of an Inquisition or Crusade into the game. >:)
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Paedrig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 am

I must confess this Frey woman sounds for me in some ways a little bit mono, so to speak.
It would be better to give here at least SOME positive aspects (or did i have overread them only?).
Making such decision like killing her (only because she could not hold the money together?) more...complicated.
It is always easy to justify an killing if the target did not have at least some a little bit sympathic sides. But doing "what must be done" should not be so easy i think...

We should remember that even the fanciest dress cost "only" less than 5 gold dragons (at least in game terms). Therefore i would think the possibility to ruin the house by this should perhaps seen more...limited (1 wealth point goes for at least 200 gd). Of course a mask ball is certainly more costly than dresses and silk - but in the end it is the Lord who decides about festivities...
Like it is the lord who has to say what his wife do with his money (what she do with HER money) is of course completely her thing.
Therefore a men who is simply not strong enough to say no when his wife has more extravagant wishes (while i would say some fancy dresses are not axtravagant per se - the house must be represented), is simply a coward. >:)

So before killing her a little bit more talking with the lord (or his trusted servants) would be wise...
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby vonpenguin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:07 am

Haven't written my own side of this yet but as Ranin's player I can say this, Walda has no positive elements, she is manipulative in the extreme and even when trying to be reasonable the DM will pull me into intrigues with his seduction monster which I lose and have to do whatever she says. She treats My beloved family members (Most of the PCs) as common servants and thwarts attempts to turn our Heir into someone fit to rule.

Ranin was not intended to be a weak malleable character, he was meant to be someone devoted to the gods and Chivalric ideals but because of GM fiat I'm being led around by the libido.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vonpenguin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:19 am

Eisen wrote:It seems even my most innocent NPCs tend to prompt the characters to unleash all kinds of evil murderous plots in honorable religious players. Where did I dig up this lot?!?!

Innocent? Stevil isn't that bad granted but Walda is an evil snobby witch. The red priest is a jerk and everyone else we treat somewhat civilly.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Eisen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 am

In the Lady's defence she has been loyal to the house and very affectionate towards her husband.

That being said she certinally has her own ideas about how to raise the heir, and her life of privilege has left her with little idea of hard work and what money is really worth. I don't however make any apology for her being good at intrigue. The players are really good fighters and some can even change into shadowcats! Yet the lady of the house is not without her own defenses.

"Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same"
Cersei Lannister
Eisen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby vonpenguin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 am

She's mostly been affectionate when she wants something. Also the mistreatment of those people he holds dear to him and his own personal values indicates that she's really only nice to him for her own gain.

The problem isn't that she can intrigue, it's that any time I don't say "yes dear" it's "roll status for initiative".
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Legate » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 am

I have one suggestion to Lord Ranin...get better at Intrigue! :wink:

The Lady sounds a right witch, but deserving of being mauled to death by a Shadow cat...not so sure.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vonpenguin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 am

I'm working on it. Picked up the dutiful quality specifically to help with that. Plan on raising will or cunning next to stop her two shoting me.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Paedrig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am

You should remember that you can also quit an intrigue if you want. This might bring the Lord in a not so good position (inPlay i would say he gets rather harsh and say 'so it must be done!) and can't be used every time, but it is still an option.

And to go for the kill only because the opponent is to good with words...am I the only one who did notice how lousy such an excuse is? >:)
Reminds me of a certain king who once time shouted "Is there no one who helps me to get rid of this priest!...'
This episode did not end very well for him (AND for the priest but at least he became a saint)

And there was also a man who said 'violence is the last tool of the unable...' :wink:
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Kajani » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 am

If the lady is so good in intrigue (which includes in many cases a good empathy), she might soon or late realize that her want-be-murder did hate her - if he is not very good in hiding his thoughts. Thit COULD lead to some counter-actions... :)

But I must, killing her only because she spents a lot of money seems even for Westeros a little bit extrem, I mean she is from high birth and so... Could no one join forces and influence the lord instead?
Kajani
Booster
Booster

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:37 am

Well there is a certain satisfaction in showing someone that the sword is mightier than the pen... or the tongue.
And such 'problem solutions' worked quite well for a lot of rulers.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Next

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG