SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re: SIFRP QUESTIONS

Postby Anyxyl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 am

I have a question about weapon grades. To my knowledge, the core rulebook explains the various weapon grades possible (common, castle-forged, etc) but doesn't list an actual cost for any of them. Naturally, a castle-forged steel longsword would be more pricey than a common one, but I can't figure out just how much. Any ideas?

Page: 128

Thanks.
Anyxyl
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:10 am

It is suggested in errata that castle forged should be double listed cost.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Shinkatsukyu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 am

Hello guys, I am new to the A Song of Ice and Fire RPG and have a Question.

If an Character with Fighting 6 (Bludgeon 4B), using a Flail, wants to sacrifice his Bonus dice for Bludgeon Fighter III, does he Attack with 6-2D dice (Sacrificing his Bonus dice for Bludgeon Fighter III first and getting two penalty dice for the Training requirement) or with 6 dice (Losing two of his Bonus dice first for the Training and sacrificing the last Bonus die after this)

I am sorry if this was asked before, I could not find it.

I would be thankful for an answer.
Shinkatsukyu
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Willem Manderly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:56 pm

With the unit Warship, does that include the sailors on it? You can also buy units Sailors and Engineers and Archers, the types of people you'd expect to crew those vessels.

For example, if a warship carrying a unit of infantry lands and the infantry disembark and get tied up in battle, can an enemy unit swarm the warships? Is there anyone defending them?
Willem Manderly
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Legate » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:05 am

I believe each warship unit comes with the necessary amount of sailors to crew it, and has its own contingent of Marines to repel boarders.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Dear Green Ronin

If i have 2 points in common language and i decide to learn two more languages, each at one point. I must spend 20 points or i must spend 40 points?
Nizan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am

10+10 during character creation, 30+30 if in play.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Nizan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:17 am

Nizan wrote:Dear Green Ronin

If i have 2 points in common language and i decide to learn two more languages, each at one point. I must spend 20 points or i must spend 40 points?

Zorbeltuss wrote:10+10 during character creation, 30+30 if in play.

Can a mod confirm that?
Nizan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tao Jones » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 am

Shinkatsukyu wrote:Hello guys, I am new to the A Song of Ice and Fire RPG and have a Question.

If an Character with Fighting 6 (Bludgeon 4B), using a Flail, wants to sacrifice his Bonus dice for Bludgeon Fighter III, does he Attack with 6-2D dice (Sacrificing his Bonus dice for Bludgeon Fighter III first and getting two penalty dice for the Training requirement) or with 6 dice (Losing two of his Bonus dice first for the Training and sacrificing the last Bonus die after this)

I am sorry if this was asked before, I could not find it.

I would be thankful for an answer.

Now this is a good question, I am really curious to see the answer, as it seems like a judgment call over whether you apply Training penalties before you factor in Benefit use or after. Intuitively, I am inclined to think it is the former, since the Training always applies, and the Benefit only sometimes, but I could see it going either way.
Tao Jones
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Paedrig » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 am

Following the Errata a Flaw in Agility/ Athletícs or Awareness did also lower your Combat Defense (-1).

My question is - did a wound (-1d on all tests) also reducing your CD by -1?
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby coldwind » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 am

Paedrig wrote:Following the Errata a Flaw in Agility/ Athletícs or Awareness did also lower your Combat Defense (-1).

My question is - did a wound (-1d on all tests) also reducing your CD by -1?

Combat and Intrigue Defense are derived stats, not tests, so injuries, wounds, and frustrations do not modify them.
coldwind
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Carriker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Nizan wrote:Can a mod confirm that?

Consider it confirmed.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Schmacky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:12 pm

My question is regarding Cavalry. (And I'm sorry if this is a repeat; so far I haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere on the forums.

I have the Game of Thrones editions of the game.

On page 111 It says that cavalry are often combined with other units. Furthermore, it says that Cavalry can dismount to become infantry. Page 109 says, "Each unit consists of 100 men, 20 men and horses, or 5 warships."

My concern is this: If you have a unit of infantry (100 men), then at a later date upgrade them to be combined infantry/cavalry, do 80 of the men just leave because cavalry is only 20 men? Furthermore, when either the aforementioned infantry/cavalry unit or a regular cavalry unit dismounts are they considered to be fighting full strength as if they had 100 men? or are they diminished to counting as two squads of 10?
Schmacky
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Emerald Viper » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:33 pm

babayaga wrote:A minor house of the north has three heirs -- from the oldest to the youngest a son, a daugher, a son.

.... my players were thinking of playing the three young sibllings above; and if Influence is not enough to purchase all their characters as Heirs, ...

Influence does not limit the number of children a house can have, but rather how many heirs with a significant status.

According to chapter 4, heir to a minor house has status 4, member of a minor house status 3.
Emerald Viper
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Shinkatsukyu » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 am

I have another Question.

In my dead-tree version of the "A Game of Thrones Edition" Braavosi Fighter 2 reads:

"[...] for every full 5 points of your test result, you also increase your Combat defense by 1 [...]"

In the Eratta found on the Green Ronin Website (http://greenronin.com/2012/06/ronin_round_table_chris_pramas_4.php at the bottom of the Page) no change to this Benefit is mentioned, but in the corrected Version of Chapter 5, on the same Website, Braavosi Fighter 2 reads as:

"[...] for every degree you increase your Combat defense by 1 [...]"

Wich one is correct?

Or as an Example:

Fighter A attacks Fighter B and scores a 16 as his Test result against Fighter B's Combat defense of 9
Does Fighter A get +3 Combat defense until his next fighting test (+1 for every 5 full points of his test result) or does he gets +2 (+1 for every degree of Success)?

I would be happy if I could get an official answer.
Shinkatsukyu
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Shinkatsukyu wrote:Wich one is correct?

The errata'd answer is. It should be based on degrees of success.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Shinkatsukyu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:09 am

Thank you very much for this fast response, Carriker :-)

If you also have an official answer for my other question, further up on this page, I would be very happy.

best regards
Shinkatsukyu
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 am

Shinkatsukyu wrote:If an Character with Fighting 6 (Bludgeon 4B), using a Flail, wants to sacrifice his Bonus dice for Bludgeon Fighter III, does he Attack with 6-2D dice (Sacrificing his Bonus dice for Bludgeon Fighter III first and getting two penalty dice for the Training requirement) or with 6 dice (Losing two of his Bonus dice first for the Training and sacrificing the last Bonus die after this)

Good question. The on-the-spot penalties levied by combat Benefits are applied after any Training requirements. So, you'd roll six dice.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Tao Jones » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the ruling, Joe! I was curious about that one too.
Tao Jones
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Shinkatsukyu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Ok, thanks for clarifying this.
Shinkatsukyu
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flagg » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:50 pm

I saw this question asked on page 5 of this thread, but never answered:

Does the "Powerful" weapon attribute add the Athletics bonus to the weapon's base damage, or is it added after multiplying damage x degrees of success?

Thanks.
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Flagg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:24 am

Anyone?
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby BeardedDork » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:24 am

I believe it's damage + powerful x success, that is how the official excel character sheet provided here calculates it anyway.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Flagg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:05 am

BeardedDork wrote:I believe it's damage + powerful x success, that is how the official excel character sheet provided here calculates it anyway.

Oddly, when I enter in "warhammer" for example, it doesn't include "Powerful", which it clearly has in the book. What weapon were you using when you saw that?

Edit: I found the answer in the FAQ, which for some reason wasn't coming up as a hit when I searched:
Q) When does the extra damage from Powerful apply? Before or after multiplying by degrees?
A) The property reads “For every bonus die invested in Strength, you can increase a Powerful weapon’s damage by 1.” So, this extra damage applies before multiplying by degrees.

I'm still curious about the spreadsheet though.
Flagg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby BeardedDork » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am

Powerful is not listed in the weapon traits in the weapon section of the character sheet, but it is factored into the damage, I wish the trait was listed but I can see how there might be some very broken misunderstandings if it were.

To test it, go ahead and equip a character with a warhammer or a greatsword and play around with the character's strength bonus, you'll see the weapon damage change.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG