Greetings. New to the boards.

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Greetings. New to the boards.

Postby FCWesel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:09 am

Hello. Just thought I would stop a second and say hi to everyone as I am new to the GR boards.

I do have a question or two in RE: True20. Is there a release date for the game? And how does it differ from Blue Rose, which I just recently picked up?

Thanks.

fcw
FCWesel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby skywalker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 am

Release date is March so very soon.

As to differences to BR there a number of reasonably significant ones. These have been detailed on these boards, RPGnet and on the BR boards. A search should find you a significnat discussion on the topic.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby The Shadow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:48 am

I'm not very versed in Blue Rose, but I do know that some of the larger differences are:

1) Escalating Toughness. Blue Rose Toughness saves go up with level, True20's do not.

2) Arcana/Powers. In Blue Rose, one buys a magical Talent as a feat, then individual powers in it two-to-a-feat. In True20, one just buys powers one-per-feat.

3) Skills. Blue Rose has a somewhat more complicated skill system, with the equivalent of "in-class" and "cross-class" skills, and the possibility to have a skill at half-ranks.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jonathan Moyer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:41 pm

The main differences are:

1. Skills - there are no favored skills in True20, only Known skills (which are Level + 3 ranks, like a Known and Favored skill in BR).

2. Base Attack and Base Defense - There is only one "Combat" score in True20, which is used for both attack and defense. That is, if you have Combat +3, your base Defense and base Attack are +3.

3. Str doesn't add to melee attack rolls - only Dex adds to attack rolls. Str still adds to damage, and it can add to Parry defense.

4. Toughness does not go up with levels. You have to buy Feats to increase toughness.

5. There are no Arcane Talents, just one "Power" feat. The ranks in all Power feats are Adept Level +3.

6. Only Adepts can learn the Power feat. Non-adepts can learn Wild Talent, but Wild Talents can go awry if a PC is stressed out.

7. There is only one kind of Expert in True20 (the two good saves version) - experts cannot get a good defense progression.

8. Adepts can chose Int, Wis, or Cha as their key ability for their arcana/powers.

9. There is no Corruption mechanic.
Jonathan Moyer
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Dragonspawn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Greetings FCWesel

looks like I've been beat to your questions, but I wanted to say welgome to the True20 boards. :)
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby FCWesel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks to one and all for both their helpful posts and their welcomes.
FCWesel
Bystander
Bystander

Return to True20 Archives