"Dawn of the Seeker" preview

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

"Dawn of the Seeker" preview

Postby Lynata » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:35 am

Just to spread the link, this is a repost from the Bioware Social Network:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aMaCp_mMRI

I have to say that, whilst I do not mind the anime approach at all (I have fond memories of Record of Lodoss War, and Ghost in the Shell or Jin-Roh have shown how mature and deep this form of media can get), I would have preferred a more "classic" approach rather than 100% CGI. Still, it looks interesting, and I'll definitively check it out as I want to know more about the story.

In addition to this, I am surprised that Dragon Age has tapped the TV market so quickly - something that other, larger and older franchises still have to accomplish. WoW and Mass Effect have announced plans for a movie, but so far there's not much solid proof for progress. 40k took 20 years to get a single DVD movie done, and it was mediocre at best. I wonder what this means for the future of Dragon Age?
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Re: "Dawn of the Seeker" preview

Postby Big Ned » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:35 pm

That does look rather cool.

I'm impressed too with how much Bioware is doing with thw Dragon Age franchise.
The one, the only and totally original Big Ned
Big Ned
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lynata » Fri May 11, 2012 3:04 pm

/push

Just a few more days until release, and Funimation has released a new trailer showcasing both some pretty impressive effects of the movie as well as its English voice-overs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2yLE5lm8Cg

Enjoy! :)

[edit]

Here's another one - the official launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4i2nWg0ea8
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Bardwulf » Sat May 12, 2012 3:02 am

Oh come on! The two creative themes don't mesh well at all! What are you thinking Bioware? When I first saw it I thought it was a joke.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lynata » Sat May 12, 2012 7:18 am

What are you referring to with creative themes exactly?
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Sat May 12, 2012 9:32 am

I can understand why Bardwulf is so apprehensive about the movie, but I myself think it looks pretty cool. And being a fan I'm pretty much obligated to buy it. Here's hoping the next thing we hear from DA though is info on the third game...or third set for the RP.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kronovan » Sun May 13, 2012 10:33 am

I don't mind it being an anime and I don't even mind it being CGI, but Oxybot as the studio? Bleh! I didn't like their Vexille much at all. I'm a fan of anime though, so I'll be cautiously optimistic about this one.
kronovan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Bardwulf » Mon May 14, 2012 8:56 am

Lynata wrote:What are you referring to with creative themes exactly?

Now don't get me wrong. I love Japan. I am a student of the language. I intent to live there in my old age. However, anime is a creative theme. Seen one, seen them all. This is coming from a hardcore Naruto fan who has watched the anime and owns all of the manga for it, as well as manga for quite a few others classics (e.g. Lone Wolf & Cub) but those silly unrealistic physics, body fluidity actions and behaviour just brings that typical Japanese boring slant onto a totally western feeling world.

When it comes to Japanese on my TV screen, it's gotta be Akira Kurosawa...
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lynata » Mon May 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Bardwulf wrote:Seen one, seen them all.
There I'd have to disagree, and strongly. In my own experience, one cannot simply throw all anime into a single pot as if there'd be no difference in how they tell their story. Much like you cannot just condense all life action movies, claiming that, say "Children of Men" is like "Rambo". Both animation as well as real actors are just media to deliver a story, and both media can use different styles and tones depending on how they want to convey it.

I only have to bring up Jin-Roh to back this claim up. I'm quite certain you will not be able to find silly unrealistic physics, body fluidity actions, or behavior in that one. On the other side, I can name various Hollywood productions where you will have them aplenty. So, in my opinion, it comes down to the individual product, and one cannot condemn an entire medium for a particular subset. That is a dangerous path also treaded by those people who advocate a ban on any and all PC games considered "violent" because they supposedly turn people into homicidal criminals.

Now, anime certainly leans towards certain art styles used to emphasize the characters' emotions (which I think is the entire point of it, and is also considered somewhat more important than in western media which focus on different aspects), yet there are various ways how this is done, and how strongly. For example, I highly doubt we will see plate-sized eyes or massive sweat drops hanging from the characters in the Dragon Age anime, even when they are surprised or embarassed.

Criticism which I would share with you, however, is the apparent defiance of physics in the platemail jumping that we can see in the trailers, and I am confident that the movie would have been better without this - I can buy this sort of stunt if it happens in light clothing, but not in this kind of armour.
On the other hand, and this needs to be mentioned as well, we already had such silly moves in Dragon Age 2, so if anything the anime is simply being consistent to its "western" origin. :P

My second point of criticism would be that some of the monsters - the dragon and the pride demon in particular - seem "too realistic" to really fit in with the backgrounds and the characters. On this one, however, I'm reserving judgment until I see the final product. Perhaps this will not really be noticeable in the "heat of the moment" when I focus on the story and the action.

On the plus side, I for one do like how they made the characters look, and am especially impressed with Cassandra's facial expressions. The English voice actors also seem to be an okay choice.

PS: I wonder if the tower the Divine is speaking from is supposed to be the White Spire?
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Bardwulf » Mon May 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Let's face it, DAO2 started going this way...with characters sliding along the ground into battle or leaping unrealistically into the air with a jump attack...they aren't f***ing Jedi! lol.

Oh well. Well I reserve the right to burn the disc when released if it has characters running along so fast that they leave their arms behind them hanging or in any way acting like overblown ninjas...even warriors. Heck I might even buy the thing first before burning. :P

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Bardwulf wrote:Let's face it, DAO2 started going this way...with characters sliding along the ground into battle or leaping unrealistically into the air with a jump attack...they aren't f***ing Jedi! lol.

Okay I'll have to agree with you there. One reason I liked DA:O so much is that it took the high/low fantasy setting but made it believable; like that was the way you'd fight if you had a sword that big, or magic, or a bow. When Hawke or Fenris first executed mighty blow and leaped about 5 or 6 feet into the air, slammed the sword or hammer into the enemy, and kept fighting like nothing happened I actually said, "Well that was cool but makes no sense." Especially with Hawke who on top of carrying a weapon that might border on 100 pounds is more than likely wearing armor that weighs just as much if not way more. Now I'm no doctor but if you were to do that you'd at least be sore to some extent, if not you'd have at least a few sprained bones. All that said, I still liked Dragon Age 2 but it was the departure from the semi-realism to the full blown over the top nature that really turned me off from it compared to the original. Now again I can see from that comparison how the movie seems a little out there, and you are indeed entitled to doing what you want with the movie when you have it, but I'm also a bit skittish towards the over the top nature and I'm still going to give it a chance in the end. If it ends up being a steaming pile of dog poo then I'll treat it as such and flush it down the toilet. What I'm trying to say is at least give it a chance. Everything at least deserves one chance.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lynata » Tue May 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Well said. ;)

Now, DA:O also had a few silly bits (people did crazy jumps in platemail there, too), but they happened rarely and were better integrated into an overall "grittier" combat style, so I guess such stunts are okay'ish if used sparsely. Also, I think DA:O had a generally darker, gloomy, realistic atmosphere than DA2 - though I am unsure how much of this can be attributed to a change in artstyle and how much to a simple change in location (Kirkwall = sunny place).

Ironically, from all I've seen so far this movie will be more realistic than DA2. At least it'll not have stuff like exploding bodies and 2 meter swords. :P
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 am

Lynata wrote:Now, DA:O also had a few silly bits (people did crazy jumps in platemail there, too), but they happened rarely and were better integrated into an overall "grittier" combat style, so I guess such stunts are okay'ish if used sparsely.

Ah of course, how could I possibly forget those awesome kill moves. Something ALSO missing for the most part from DA2. And I guess you are right, I can see those moves being a bit...out there. Specifically the one-hand/dual-weild kill on high dragons where you literally get tossed off of the head and barrel roll back onto it. Or a two-hand character getting slammed back into the ground as the dragon falls. But as you said, these seemed to add to the combat in the end. Besides, when you've got an epic boss, you need an epic kill.
Lynata wrote:Also, I think DA:O had a generally darker, gloomy, realistic atmosphere than DA2 - though I am unsure how much of this can be attributed to a change in artstyle and how much to a simple change in location (Kirkwall = sunny place).

I agree, DA2's atmosphere just didn't cut it for "Dark Fantasy." It was more like, "Life in Kirkwall" than "War in Kirkwall." Such a dramatic change in pace, scenery, and the almost non-existent character development (WHYYYY!!??) were all a means to an end for me. Also, the redesign of the elves just seemed...unnescessary.
Lynata wrote:Ironically, from all I've seen so far this movie will be more realistic than DA2. At least it'll not have stuff like exploding bodies and 2 meter swords.

Ugh, the whole exploding bodies crit-kill thing was just so..."Whaaaat?" Its another one of those things that was completely unnecessary for anything other than "Wow factor." No more decapitations, no more vicious kill moves from the last game, just...BOOM!! It was like all of the bandits, darkspawn and other enemies were all strapped with a small block of C-4 each. The only time a body should explode like that in the DA universe is from the effects of Walking Bomb or from a direct hit from an explosive or a fireball-like spell. At least we won't be seeing that from the movie...I hope...
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lynata » Wed May 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Guardian of the Peak wrote:Ah of course, how could I possibly forget those awesome kill moves. Something ALSO missing for the most part from DA2.
You said it. Wow, I made so many screenshots in DA:O. That first fight against an ogre? Epic!

Guardian of the Peak wrote:I agree, DA2's atmosphere just didn't cut it for "Dark Fantasy." It was more like, "Life in Kirkwall" than "War in Kirkwall." Such a dramatic change in pace, scenery, and the almost non-existent character development (WHYYYY!!??) were all a means to an end for me. Also, the redesign of the elves just seemed...unnescessary.
I actually liked the idea of a Dragon Age game with such a narrow focus, but I feel it could have been pulled off in a better way. Props for the stuff about Hawke's family, though. Facing mother after the sister's death was harsh. And then mum died as well. The scene with the "ghosts" of my Hawke's family was very well done. Cineatic drama.

Also, definitively agree about the elves. You don't just go and change something like this "just because" - and especially not if you're using a term that comes with certain expectations in terms of appearance. Let's face it, fantasy elves are humans with pointy ears. If you want to implement something "new", at least give it another name.
I mean, seriously. What's next, are they going to change the looks of dwarves and dragons, too, because they are "too generic"?

Guardian of the Peak wrote:Ugh, the whole exploding bodies crit-kill thing was just so..."Whaaaat?" Its another one of those things that was completely unnecessary for anything other than "Wow factor." No more decapitations, no more vicious kill moves from the last game, just...BOOM!!
Fortunately, a fix seems to have limited it somewhat later on. After seeing the initial previews of the game, I did not dare pre-order it and instead waited until it became a budget title. Good decision. For $20, it's still a very good game (the characters are its saving grace, esp. Varric and Isabela), even if it's no true successor to Origins. Plus, apparently I never had to see the pre-patch explosions.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 25#6894444

Do click it. The images in that thread are ... "awesome". :green:
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Dustin » Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Um, the action in the novels and the comic book (I have not read the newer comics, tho) lend DA to an anime feel. It's not a stretch to me :-)
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 am

Lynata wrote:http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 25#6894444

Do click it. The images in that thread are ... "awesome". :green:

Hah, "Awesome" indeed. As "awesome" as the blood explosions were- ...wait I already said that. Never mind.
Dustin wrote:Um, the action in the novels and the comic book (I have not read the newer comics, tho) lend DA to an anime feel. It's not a stretch to me :-)

I don't mind it looking a bit anime-ish or having some slightly over the top action but the series is and always was, supposed to be, based on gritty semi-realism. I don't mind a little off the wall action every now and then but don't make it the basis for the whole series and throw the established style away.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dustin » Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am

Warhammer Fanatsy Roleplay! That is as gritty as it gets! (lol)

I have always described DA as dark gritty fantasy with good looking heros (as opposed to Warhammer). I love the art for Pathfinder and Exalted, so I don't mind the cartoon or the first graphic novel having that anime look to it (even though I am really not an anime fan). That is just me tho.

We are finishing up our Dark Heresy game this month and before we start a new campaign for our Dragon Age game, I thought we can all have a CD watching party before our first game and maybe even have them make their new characters too.
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bardwulf » Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Dustin wrote:Warhammer Fanatsy Roleplay! That is as gritty as it gets! (lol)

I have always described DA as dark gritty fantasy with good looking heros (as opposed to Warhammer). I love the art for Pathfinder and Exalted, so I don't mind the cartoon or the first graphic novel having that anime look to it (even though I am really not an anime fan). That is just me tho.

We are finishing up our Dark Heresy game this month and before we start a new campaign for our Dragon Age game, I thought we can all have a CD watching party before our first game and maybe even have them make their new characters too.

Whoa, you're like an alternate version of me...I'm a warhammer fantasy fan and have played WHFRP 2E. I'm playing Dark Heresy and will be wrapping it soon I think and am playing Dragon Age as well, in between DH sessions...
That's odd. Never met another person with my combo.

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lynata » Thu May 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Until my office shifts forced me out of that group, I used to play Dark Heresy a lot, too. It's a nice setting and I like the ruleset, though I maintain there are some flaws in how both were handled. Then again, nothing is ever perfect. ;)

WFRP I only played one campaign, but that has been a fun experience, too. The one thing I remember most fondly was how the other players had to slap the back of my wounded character's horse to get her out of combat before she'd die to a superior enemy force she refused to retreat from. Norscans can be quite a bit thick-headed or too proud (or stupid) for their own good. The best thing was that all the characters later agreed the horse was to blame for bolting so "suddenly". :P

Dustin wrote:We are finishing up our Dark Heresy game this month and before we start a new campaign for our Dragon Age game, I thought we can all have a CD watching party before our first game and maybe even have them make their new characters too.
That sounds like a grand idea! Good to get people in the mood. :)

If the movie is good. But I'm applying a moderate amount of premature optimism to this one. :roll:
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Dustin » Fri May 18, 2012 6:41 am

Well, Warhammer Fantasy 2nd had some awesome writers :wink:

The funny thing about Dark Heresy is that I was never a 40K fan until that came out and I suggested it to the other GM who is a HUGE Warhammer Fantasy and Call of Cthuluh rpg fan. It now seemed to replace both of those for us.

But, I need my medieval fantasy, and dark at that. So, I'm back here again \m/
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 am

One of my friends, as well as one of my players, has been thinking about getting Dark Heresy for a while now. He's a big fan of the Warhammer universe and I've always intended on getting into it myself. I understand the core behind it and the basics of the story and such, but I've never taken time to actually read into it deeply. I will soon but right now I've got more important things on my mind, like being sick...and planning my group's next adventure.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bardwulf » Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Guardian of the Peak wrote:One of my friends, as well as one of my players, has been thinking about getting Dark Heresy for a while now. He's a big fan of the Warhammer universe and I've always intended on getting into it myself. I understand the core behind it and the basics of the story and such, but I've never taken time to actually read into it deeply. I will soon but right now I've got more important things on my mind, like being sick...and planning my group's next adventure.

Well, WHEN you do, check out this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFCFAE6A101F06E53

There's a lot of content to play with there.

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Return to Dragon Age RPG