New spell- Bloodrite of Brotherhood

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

New spell- Bloodrite of Brotherhood

Postby ColdSteel1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Feedback is desperately needed!

Bloodrite of Brotherhood-

Magic School: Entropy

Spell Type: Enhancement

Mana Cost: 4 MP

Casting Time: Major Action

Target Number: 12

Test: None

Considered to be vile Blood Magic by The Chantry, The Bloodrite of Brotherhood is an ancient ritual used by Avvari shamans to grant honor to two warriors whose bravery in battle and friendship toward each other is unquestioned. The shaman uses a ceremonial dagger to make deep cuts in the two warriors' hands. Then the warriors clasp each other's bleeding hands, their blood mixing while the shaman chants the spell that completes the rite.

The Bloodrite grants said two warriors (now known as blood brothers) a bond through their blood that enables them to fight more effectively with +1 bonus in Strength as long as they are within 100 ft of each other during combat. If one blood brother dies then the other suffers a -1 in Strength and Willpower due to the physical and emotional trauma.

Despite the name, Avvari women have often been known to use the Bloodrite as well.
It all comes down to blood and choice.
ColdSteel1
Bystander
Bystander

Re: New spell- Bloodrite of Brotherhood

Postby shonuff » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

I think the school should probably be Blood Magic, not Entropy.

I would be careful, because it looks like it's just a bonus to PCs without any repurcussions. I would add a penalty if the characters are fighting outside of the bonus range... or at least a good deal outside of the bonus range. I would also increase the death penalty.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby ColdSteel1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:00 pm

2nd draft:

Bloodrite of Brotherhood-

Magic School: Blood

Spell Type: Enhancement

Mana Cost: 4 MP

Casting Time: Major Action

Target Number: 12

Test: None

Requirements: Blood Mage Specialization (Journeyman)

Considered to be vile Blood Magic by The Chantry, The Bloodrite of Brotherhood is an ancient ritual used by Avvari shamans to grant honor to two warriors whose bravery in battle and friendship toward each other is unquestioned. The shaman uses a ceremonial dagger to make deep cuts in the palms of the two warriors' hands. Then the warriors clasp each other's bleeding hands, their blood mixing while the shaman chants the spell that completes the rite.

The Bloodrite grants said two warriors (now known as blood brothers or sisters) a bond through their blood that enables them to fight more effectively with a +1 bonus in Strength as long as they are within 100 ft of each other during combat. If they are separated and outside the range of the spell, then the blood brothers fight at -1 Strength. If one blood brother dies then the other suffers a -1 in both Strength and Willpower for 1d6 weeks due to the physical and emotional trauma. The shamans do not often grant the Bloodrite a second time to those who lost a comrade in arms and a clansman asking such things would be regarded as a callous wastrel.

Despite the name, Avvari women have often been known to use the Bloodrite as well.
ColdSteel1
Bystander
Bystander

Postby 5trangeCase » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 am

I had an idea for something vaguely similar.

But this really does not sound like a Major Action. Avvar are fond of their rituals, so it should be a ritual that takes maybe thirty minutes if they cut out the pomp and ceremony. That's not exactly going to cause problems because no one is going to do this in the middle of battle right? For that reason, perhaps the mana cost should be higher?

I would add something from my idea for a similar blood bonding, have the two blood brothers also have a preternatural sense of each other, so if they do get separated, they can find each other. Not something like "he's in the tavern", a finding ability, rather than a knowing ability.
5trangeCase
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Elfie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 am

Also, this doesn't sound like it has a duration. If this truly lasts for the entire life of the subjects, the TN should be MUCH higher.

100 ft still seems like a pretty wide range. That ends up being 16.6 hexes/squares. Maybe notch it down to like 12 yards (36 ft)?
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shonuff » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:57 am

Agreed with what was stated above... the casting time should be much longer. Also, IMO, there doesn't really need to be an MP cost associated with it -- or maybe it should be much higher.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Elfie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:40 am

I guess the question is... are you looking for this to be something that a PC will be able to cast? Or are you looking to have this cast on PCs? Because if it's just going to be cast ON them, you don't really have to come up with the specifics of TN, pre-requisites, etc. You can just describe a week-long ritual that results in them becoming blood brothers, which has such and such permanent benefits and penalties.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shonuff » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:21 am

Elfie wrote:I guess the question is... are you looking for this to be something that a PC will be able to cast? Or are you looking to have this cast on PCs? Because if it's just going to be cast ON them, you don't really have to come up with the specifics of TN, pre-requisites, etc. You can just describe a week-long ritual that results in them becoming blood brothers, which has such and such permanent benefits and penalties.

Right, and if I were to use something like this, it would be for NPCs so the specifics wouldn't matter very much. I would probably also avoid stat increases because then you get into the question of whether it's an ability advancement or an increase.

What you might want to think about is looking at the stunt system. If the blood brothers are in the given range and one generates stunt points, then the other receives a certain amount. Either full, half, one, or some other number. It wouldn't have to be a given, either, like the second blood brother would have to roll a 6 to receive them, or something.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Lynata » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Elfie wrote:I guess the question is... are you looking for this to be something that a PC will be able to cast? Or are you looking to have this cast on PCs? Because if it's just going to be cast ON them, you don't really have to come up with the specifics of TN, pre-requisites, etc. You can just describe a week-long ritual that results in them becoming blood brothers, which has such and such permanent benefits and penalties.
Perhaps it could be something that the characters need to "buy" in place of a talent - given that it effectively results in a free stat increase (assuming that it won't actually happen very often that any of the penalties kick in)?

Also agreeing with Elfie on the range - something like 10 meters sounds fitting for bloodbrothers fighting side by side. On the upside, if they are "out of range" they could be able to sense each other's direction, as 5trangeCase suggested.

Maybe the cut would never fully heal but always remain a scratch. If the bloodbrothers are close it will glow in an eery light. The further away they are, the weaker the glow - but it will glow slightly stronger when the arm is pointed into the general direction of the other, making it possible to find them.

This is how Circle phylacteries work, anyways @ glow

Needless to say, said glow would also make an excellent plot device making these warriors suspicious for Chantry folk, or basically anyone in Ferelden who is sceptical of magic. Might be a good idea to buy a glove ...
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Koeran » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:59 pm

It's essentially a permanent Heroic Offence, only with some additional conditions. Unless those additional conditions are actually going to have a dramatic effect, it's way over powered. Which at this point I think it is. Especially as it would stack with Heroic Offence.

I wouldn't make it +1 to Strength. I'd make it +1 to attack and damage, but only if the characters were fighting adjacent to each other, or attacking the same target. As the spell gives them a subconscious intuition as to what their companion is doing, allowing them to co-ordinate more effectively.

As a downside I'd make both subjects loose 10 HP permanently. If their companion dies, they can non longer gain the bonuses, and the HP loss remains permanent. A penalty to resist disease/infection may also be appropriate.

With that in mind, I'd adjust the ritual such that they get a deep cut on their chests (Shaking cut hands has been done to death) which never fully heals. The companions can embrace, or not, as you prefer for the ritual. It's magic after all, physical contact doesn't have to be necessary.
I'd also say that it's typical for the companions to supply their own blood to power the spell (Which can be done with the Journeyman level of the Blood Mage Specialization).

I'd make the spell an hour long casting time, to bring it in line with some of the larger ritual like spells (specifically Weather Weaving). TN 16ish, Mana cost at least 7 (essentially 3.5HP per companion, supplemented as necessary by the Mage casting the spell).

I'd also be inclined to give the companions a +1 to all Communication, Perception (Empathy) and Willpower (Morale) tests when interacting with each other. And maybe force a Willpower (Self Discipline) test when the companion drops to 0HP to immediately go to their aid, no matter the dangers. A failed test could result in the character jumping off a cliff to save their fallen comrade for example. :o You could tone that idea down, but something similar would be appropriate.

I'd also rename the spell "Blood Bond" just to avoid any gender specifics.

I also like the previously mentioned homing beacon effects.

Or, if you don't want hefty permanent penalties, I'd make it a talent as previously suggested.
Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.
Koeran
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ColdSteel1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks all of you for the input. I will incorporate most of what has been said in the posts thus far although i am a little uneasy about the whole "Corsican Brothers" aspect outside of combat situations. Still since each Avvarri clan has its owns traditions and beliefs then it would not be out of place if there are several versions of the ritual practiced by the shamans.
ColdSteel1
Bystander
Bystander

Postby 5trangeCase » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 am

Love Koeran's ideas. Except that losing 10HP permanently could be pretty major (it's permanent anyway seeing as the Blood Bond can't be undone right?) depending on what level they are, their constitution and their class. Losing 1 Constitution is less influential in my opinion.
5trangeCase
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:04 am

Before creating any effect that means a permanent irrevocable loss, ask yourself the question:

"Would I find it to be fun if it was cast by a NPC at my own character?"

No, I didn't think so either.

Create an "out" and you'll be fine. (Whether this means just resting until the next day, or embarking on a long quest involving blood of the harpy and the feather of a griffon isn't important, as long as your reply as GM isn't "the only way you'll ever get back those lost points is by creating a new PC")
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby shonuff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:08 am

Zapp wrote:Before creating any effect that means a permanent irrevocable loss, ask yourself the question:

"Would I find it to be fun if it was cast by a NPC at my own character?"

No, I didn't think so either.

Create an "out" and you'll be fine. (Whether this means just resting until the next day, or embarking on a long quest involving blood of the harpy and the feather of a griffon isn't important, as long as your reply as GM isn't "the only way you'll ever get back those lost points is by creating a new PC")

I would think you would have to be a willing participant for this rite to work, however. That, and many would gladly trade 10 HP for +1 strength.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Koeran » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 pm

I should clarify, it doesn't have to be "loose 10 HP" permanently. That was just a suggestion that worked within the concept that was being discussed so far.

What it does need is to be sufficient enough to give anyone pause before deciding to go ahead with it. It needs to be high enough that they don't immediately say, "Hell yeah", and not so high that they'll never go ahead with it. And it needs to be something that will effect them just as often, if not more so, than the bonuses from the spell.

For my money, the spell as it was originally described (and even the second iteration) would always be a "Hell Yeah". The conditions for the penalties just wouldn't show up enough. And the bonus of +1 Strength, is awesome. Especially as I tend to play warriors.

I like Zapps suggestion of a quest to undo the permanent effects upon the death of a bonded companion. Although, you could just have the permanent HP loss, fade over time. Say by 1 HP per week, or month or something. I admit, that I didn't notice the effects fading when I read through the second iteration of the spell.

Another idea, upon the death of one of the bonded companions, would be to have the other companion absorb some of their life force/soul. And become some kind of amalgamation of the two characters. Would make for some awesome role-playing potential.
There would be ways to do that mechanically as well as on a roleplaying level. Average out the Attributes (it may be better to do it on an overall Attribute point level, than on an Attribute by Attribute basis), keep all Foci that the charactes share. Keep the other foci on a 50/50 basis. Same for Talents and spells as with foci. Average out HP and Mana.

"My brother is not dead. As long as I live, he lives within me!"

Although, that could be taking things a little too far.
Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.
Koeran
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ColdSteel1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:07 am

Koeran wrote:
Another idea, upon the death of one of the bonded companions, would be to have the other companion absorb some of their life force/soul. And become some kind of amalgamation of the two characters. Would make for some awesome role-playing potential.

"My brother is not dead. As long as I live, he lives within me!"

Although, that could be taking things a little too far.

It might. It could be that the companions' ghost (or at least part of his/her personality and memories) can enter the survivor's body... which might tempt a demon or spirit who notice the severed link and tries to get "a free ride" as it were into the survivor's body.

Then again it might as well be a psychological side effect of the companion's death like schizophrenia.

Avvar warrior: "My blood brother tells me you are not to be trusted, lowlanders. No i am not mad, so why are you all looking at me like that?"

Circle mage: "Your blood brother was eaten by an ogre less than two weeks ago, why all of a sudden is he speaking to you now while you're still sober?"

Avvar warrior: "DIE LOWLANDER DIE!!!"
ColdSteel1
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG