Parry

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Parry

Postby Andferne » Mon May 14, 2012 11:03 am

Prepare Action: You prepare your major action this round to parry an incoming blow. Should an enemies attack roll beat your Defense score. You can immediately make an opposed attack roll to parry their attack. Keeping it from hitting you. This may only be done once per round.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Parry

Postby Bardwulf » Mon May 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Hmmm, you know, I think I like it!

It's probably worth trying out but boy I bet it would get annoying if NPC's did it a lot, lol.

Have you been running with it yourself? Any comments as to how it was?
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lynata » Mon May 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Mhmm, the way I understood combat in Dragon Age, parries are already included in the normal Defense - they just "happen" even if you don't roll for them. An abstraction where you either dodge to the side, or parry a blow, or jump half a step back ... you get the idea.

But perhaps a slight rewording would do already? Something like "Focused Parry"... perhaps the player has to specify a singular opponent against whom he would concentrate his defense, taking the form of a roll-able parry against any and all attacks dished out by this enemy in that one turn?

You could even build a whole talent around this...

Novice: As your reflexes quicken, you become able to reliably deflect the blows of more than one combatant. The Focused Parry talent may now be applied to up to two enemies per round.
Journeyman: If the roll you used to parry an opponent's blow is higher than this enemy's Defense, you may immediately inflict your weapon's damage as if you had struck him in a normal attack. This "riposte" manoeuvre may be used once per round.
Master: You have mastered the art of defending yourself against multiple opponents. The Focused Parry talent may now be applied to up to three enemies per round. In addition, riposte is no longer limited, meaning you may counter-attack every single blow you manage to deflect.

Might be neat for Duelists!

Possibly somewhat overpowered, though, if you've got a player who has a tendency for high attack rolls (high weapon attribute plus focus). :(
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Andferne » Mon May 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Bardwulf wrote:Have you been running with it yourself? Any comments as to how it was?

I've done a few trials on it, but we haven't implemented it into our Saturday night sessions yet. This coming weekend will be the first time we add it in 'officially' to try and test out. We used to do something similar to this in D&D 3.5 that was built off of a skill.

Npc's who use this can become frustrating to PC's and causes them to pick their battle tactics a bit wiser.

Lynata wrote:You could even build a whole talent around this...

Novice: As your reflexes quicken, you become able to reliably deflect the blows of more than one combatant. The Focused Parry talent may now be applied to up to two enemies per round.
Journeyman: If the roll you used to parry an opponent's blow is higher than this enemy's Defense, you may immediately inflict your weapon's damage as if you had struck him in a normal attack. This "riposte" manoeuvre may be used once per round.
Master: You have mastered the art of defending yourself against multiple opponents. The Focused Parry talent may now be applied to up to three enemies per round. In addition, riposte is no longer limited, meaning you may counter-attack every single blow you manage to deflect.

Provided things go well the talent you suggested will be implemented into things down the road.

Something else to note is I've thought about assigning penalties or bonuses depending on the weapon being used against the weapon being parried. But then started to think that was over complicating things so scratched that idea. Might need to word it where you can only parry melee attacks. Then maybe let one of the Talent tress allow you to parry incoming ranged attacks, albeit a -1 or -2 penalty.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Hellebore » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 am

Seems fine, although IMO the Defensive stance stunt represent this.

Given that warriors benefit from using their Strength instead of Dex for Defence, maybe you could follow the defence style by having a stunt that allows a character to use their attack stat as a defence in melee, reflecting them focusing on parrying styles rather than dodgy styles.

Hellebore
Hellebore
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Tue May 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Kind of reminds me of an action that one of my players suggested;

Warrior, Rogue, and Arcane Warrior only, Major Action:
Fool's Guard

You drop into a more open stance, enticing opponents to attack so you may deliver an immediate counter attack. The target of this action must make a TN 13 Cunning test or fall victim to your counter attack when they attack you next. If the target fails the test they suffer damage equal to your weapon's power with all armor effects still applying as you strike from the stance. If they succeed, they see through your ruse and you suffer a -3 to your defense until the beginning of your next turn. Fool's Guard can only be used against an opponent once per encounter.

All be it I'm still testing it.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG