My take on space combat using AGE

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

My take on space combat using AGE

Postby newbiedm » Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 am

I am writing a Star Wars version of AGE.
Here's my take on space combat.
Basically, at its core, it is Ship=Character
So a ship will have a defense like a character, 10+Pilot's Dexterity(Piloting)

Here's the report on a playtest I ran:

http://newbiedm.com/2012/05/15/space-co ... wage-hack/
newbiedm
Bystander
Bystander

Re: My take on space combat using AGE

Postby Zapp » Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 am

I would have preferred that shields = hp and that unshielded ships (larger than shuttles and fighters that is) just take critical damage (instead of simply dying at 0 hp, they lose "limbs" such as the cargo compartment, turrets, your combat droid etc).
With just 35 Health, that tie is at 11 hp now!

I would expect TIE-fighters to be one-hit kills. Set their Health to 10 to allow for "glancing" (=weak) blows (like the hit that crippled but didn't destroy Darth Vader's TIE) but generally ensure a one-shot kill.
Gunner 2: I go after Tie 2.

Any particular reason you wouldn't want to gang up to finish off weakened ships (since one hit won't be enough to kill)?

Meaning: why did Gunner 2 attack TIE 2 and not TIE 1? Something about firing arcs (not part of this example but part of your ruleset) perhaps?

Astrogation: I botched my roll! All these maneuvers are throwing off the computer, it can’t pinpoint our exact location! Argh! We need a droid, he has a better chance than me! Turn is over.

Tie 1: His move of 11 easily puts him close to your ship, he takes a shot, but misses!

Tie 2: He moves adjacent to his ally, remember that his Howlrunner Formation maneuver is still active, so he attacks you at a +2, and he hits! You take 11 points of damage.

Astrogation: I rolled a 14, beat the test! And a 6 on the Force Die. My threshold count is now at 11, 4 more and we’re outta here! Keep us alive guys…..

Did I miss something or did just Astrogation guy get to act twice?
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Return to Dragon Age RPG