3rd Box set?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

3rd Box set?

Postby Dustin » Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Why not forgo the 3rd box set and just release a rule book that combines all of the core rules? That would be awesome! :wink:
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: 3rd Box set?

Postby newbiedm » Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 pm

I'd rsather get a third box set just to finish the Dragon Age line with a consistent look, then give me a nice hardcover AGE rulebook, stripped of the DA setting, with more complete rules on warfare, vehicles, etc...
newbiedm
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 pm

I'd like a third box for additional supplements -- maps, adventures, etc. Then I'd also like a hardcover compilation.... hopefully with a table of contents and appendices in the back!
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Dustin » Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 pm

shonuff, I wouldn't mind that too. I just like all my rules in one book and since these box sets are close to the $40 range, why not just go all the way with a hard cover
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby ppiluk » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I have lot of money already invested in Dragon Age, I have purchased everything. The last think I want to do is to have to repurchase stuff I already own...like I do with some other company.

I personally love the boxed sets. The boxes hold the additional supplements nicely.
ppiluk
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Tue May 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Dustin wrote:shonuff, I wouldn't mind that too. I just like all my rules in one book and since these box sets are close to the $40 range, why not just go all the way with a hard cover

I do, too. Having both, though makes it easy if not every player has a copy... especially someone new to RPing.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Bardwulf » Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 pm

If it meant having some content now rather than wait, I'd rather they revert to their original plan and release this in 4 boxes. I'd pay for 4.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zapp » Wed May 16, 2012 6:06 am

shonuff wrote:additional supplements -- maps, adventures, etc.
+1!
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby jgladeb » Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

Once Set 3 releases I would love to see them release compiled Players Manuals separately. I don't mind getting the sets individually as they come out as a GM, but a complete ruleset manual for players that can be purchased separately is a no-brainer I would think.

For the most part I really like AGE as a system and a complete rulebook for GMs would be great as mentioned above. I would even consider buying a complete Dragon Age Game Master Manual once everything is out so I could have one book with all the rules at my fingertips. They could cut all the adventures and whatnot from them and just focus on world lore and rules.

One of the biggest problems I have with the way the individual sets are released is that when new sets add more rules and options to players to existing material, it makes some of the material I've already purchased less useful.

Case in point: the GM screen, I love it. It's got nearly everything I need for quick reference as a GM and it's one of the best I've used. Until Set 2 came out. Added Combat Stunts and the new Exploration and Roleplay Stunts (which I think are rather stupid and not intuitive) make it harder for me to keep up with players that have the cards that were included with Set 2. One of them want to do the All Out Attack stunt. I look at my GM screen, where is that? Oh, right! It's new...

I understand why they do it, and I understood going in that this was a work in progress. But again, some of the additions I really don't like. I'm actually strongly considering not using the Exploration and Roleplay Stunts altogether. Why take Roleplaying away from the players? Exploration stunts I'm less opposed to, but even some of those require that if the player rolls doubles and uses stunt points, as the GM, you suddenly have to give them more on the spot. More info, more loot, you name it.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this in to a rant. Just some things I've noticed as the Dragon Age system has 'evolved'.
- It's always darkest before it goes pitch black...

My custom Dragon Age miniature related downloads: http://www.daddymonsterstudio.com/downloads.html
jgladeb
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dustin » Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am

Man, I love the RPG stunts (even tho the players are not past 5th level, I included some of the box 2 stuff). It livens things up quite a bit for us, since sometimes people are not good at coming up with stuff that their characters say in back & forth debates and stuff).

And that minus the part were it does not have the new stunt tables, that is also one of my favorite GM's screens. The main reason why I love the three panel screens is that they fit nicely on those TV trays (since we play around a coffee table instead of the dinner table... it's all about those comfy couches and chairs for us).
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby jgladeb » Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 am

Maybe that's the difference. My group can talk and talk. The trick is getting getting them to shut up... :wink: Perhaps I should give the stunts more of a chance. I'm running a session on Friday night with a new player that's never played tabletop RPGs before, so perhaps that's a good chance to really try and put them to some use and see how I really feel about them.
- It's always darkest before it goes pitch black...

My custom Dragon Age miniature related downloads: http://www.daddymonsterstudio.com/downloads.html
jgladeb
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dustin » Wed May 16, 2012 2:35 pm

I think of them as inspiration in "scripting" how you have an edge over someone. It can be used for those who dictate what they say (not giving the exact words, but conveying the meaning of what their character says) and those who full out role-play. I also like how it can be used in an opposed and advanced test.

But, the cool thing is it is easy to drop if it does not work in a certain group.

The game Burning Wheel has rules that give you these attack and defensive like moves you can make in social combat, but the rules are a little more involved that I prefer. I like this system better (maybe because I don't fully understand how Burning Wheel works?).
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG