Apostate Elves & Dalish Elves

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Apostate Elves & Dalish Elves

Postby Dustin » Thu May 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I had assumed that Apostate Elf Mages were Dalish, but my wife pointed out that it is not really clear in the Player's book for box set 1.

Does the rules leave it open for interpretation for them to be either city or dalish elves?
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Apostate Elves & Dalish Elves

Postby Sidmen » Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah, the rules can be used for any elvish mage that isn't part of the circle - whether dalish or city or other (non-dalish that doesn't live in the city are totally valid).
Sidmen
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dustin » Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Okay, cool. That works out then because I am giving each of my players a hook into our story and my wife's Apostate Elf would work well to be a Dalish elf (and unknown to her, it will not only be a boon, but cause a lot of trouble for them too .... MMMAHAHAHA). After all, her character knows elvish, I figured that helps, right?
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Loswaith » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 pm

The way it works I suspect that any Dalish mage will be an Apostate, given the Dalish avoid humans it is unlikely one would recieve circle training as opposed to being trained by their own clan. Any other human or elf mages can be either a circle mage or an apostate.

Keep in mind that Dalish tend to tattoo their faces, it's uncertain when that happens. Though if a Dalish elf grew up with city elves (from a very young age) I'm not sure there would be much difference from a city elf anyway as the seperation seems more cultural than genetic.
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby shonuff » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Loswaith wrote:Though if a Dalish elf grew up with city elves (from a very young age) I'm not sure there would be much difference from a city elf anyway as the seperation seems more cultural than genetic.

Right. And city elves can run away and join the Dalish. I don't think being a secret Dalish would matter. Regular elves are hated enough already.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Alchemus » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:10 am

Just to add in, Dalish mages are often traded among the different clans so that each clan can have a Keeper and a Keeper's first. So if a clan has several mages and another clan doesn't have any then one or more may be sent to them.

Perhaps your wife's mage was taking part in one of these transfers, but it went wrong and she never made it to her new clan. Then she could've been picked up by travelers and taken to the nearest alienage, and that's why her Dalish heritage is unknown.

Not trying to tell you how to do your thing, just tossing out ideas.

+ Alchemus
Alchemus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dustin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks for the info and advice!

She decided that after her magic teacher was killed by Templars she decided to seek out Dalish elves to join and clans she can find.

So, she has a goal. YAY! Now if I can get the other two to do that ;-)
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG