Can I have some sympathy?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Can I have some sympathy?

Postby Bill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 am

I have wanted to run a Dragon Age game for quite a while now.

I know a lot of gamers, and they keep insisting we play Pathfinder.

Ughhh....

I really do not want to play 'dnd' flavored Dragon Age.

So I ended up doing the Dark Sun setting.

*sigh*

Can't get the players motivated to use a new system.
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Can I have some sympathy?

Postby vonpenguin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 am

That's a shame. It really is an elegant little system. Have you tried online gaming to sate your DA thirst?
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Arimmus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 am

I'm sure there are a few dozen of them out there. I run one... well I will be again once I get used to working again. And things calm down at work... gd I hate being understaffed... part time employee making 42 hours a week is BS.
Arimmus Thoma

" I has a maptool framework coming along for DRAGON AGE! "
Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vonpenguin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 am

Don't worry Arimmus. Your players love you.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Lynata » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm

By the Maker.

Your players are missing out! You have my sympathies.

Have you tried convincing them by showing them the many positive reviews out there? What is it in particular that they do not like? Or is it just unwillingness to bother with any new system regardless of how good and easy-to-learn it is?
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby FSchuttee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I've been in the same boat too. Most gamers reluctant to try something new. Usual reasons I get are: 1) do not want to be tempted in buying into new system timewise and/or financially; 2) hate having to learn something all over again (i.e. lazy IMO); or 3) they would rather play RPG's in videogame form since they won't have to travel anywhere or use...gasp...their imagination. :x

Right now I am lucky I have a group willing to try it even though they had more of a preference for D&D until I pointed out that I knew them well enough in that it would take them several sessions just make a character due to the amount of choices D&D now allows and their own indecisiveness. :wink: Dragon Age I pointed out was a fairly well developed world and covered the basics of fantasy -- monsters, loot, mysteries, magic, plus it had elements of political intrigue (political leaders -- banns, kings, and such, the Chantry/Templars and the Circle) that some of them like to a degree. So it did not take too long to get the campaign up and running. :)

Still though, I will admit to not being too optimistic about the future of traditional RPG's as I know them as it is getting harder to find new players willing to throw the dice around versus clicking something... :(
FSchuttee
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Arimmus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:18 am

I blame WOTC and their failed attempts at Video games and VTT's. Just cuz I DISLIKE WOTC.
Arimmus Thoma

" I has a maptool framework coming along for DRAGON AGE! "
Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Bill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 am

vonpenguin wrote:That's a shame. It really is an elegant little system. Have you tried online gaming to sate your DA thirst?

I have not tried online gaming yet.
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:20 am

General reply to everyone that responed above:

I actually know quite a few gamers. four gaming groups even.

Two groups pretty much insist on playing Pathfinder, one has so many GM's I am about fourth in line to run a campaign.
One group only does 4E dnd.

One guy who was not initially interested in playing Dragon Age recently started playing the computer game and....he likes the setting now. Some of them just don't seem to get that using a game tailor made for a setting is generally a good idea.

Why the %$#@# would I want to use Pathfinder to do a Dragon Age setting campaign?

*grumble*
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Woodclaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 am

Bill wrote:General reply to everyone that responed above:

I actually know quite a few gamers. four gaming groups even.

Two groups pretty much insist on playing Pathfinder, one has so many GM's I am about fourth in line to run a campaign.
One group only does 4E dnd.

One guy who was not initially interested in playing Dragon Age recently started playing the computer game and....he likes the setting now. Some of them just don't seem to get that using a game tailor made for a setting is generally a good idea.

Why the %$#@# would I want to use Pathfinder to do a Dragon Age setting campaign?

*grumble*

While I can see the reasoning for not wanting to use a CRPG setting to play a PnP game (I had some disastrous experience trying to convert Fallout), I generally hate dealing with gamers that don't want to try anything new. The worst case I remeber was guy I went to college with: he had played the same character for over 8 years (using AD&D rules) and he always wanted to play that character. The only time we played I spent a hour arguing with him that it wasn't appropriate to allow him to play a 30th level character in a 5th level campaign.
"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?"
[i]'Gentleman' John Marcone[/i]
Woodclaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 am

Was he really that clueless, or was he actually expecting to play 'Superman' ?
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby FSchuttee » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:10 am

I wouldn't say clueless, more like stubborn, lazy, or someone I wouldn't consider a "True Gamer." Of course, there are also the "power" gamers who do want to be the ultra-powerful characters who literally roll over every obstacle or avoid the ones that actually require real "role-playing" as opposed to "roll"-playing. :x

I will admit I do enjoy playing video rpg's, but also don't view them as real rpg's in the sense they are by nature limited in structure (computer programs). Compared to the traditional pencil/paper/dice versions, the video versions are limited in terms of character dialogue, plot structure (limited options in how to respond to events in the story and how they affect future events)*, and that they also limit actual social contact with other people -- i.e. actually meeting and socializing with new people, thus broadening one's social circle and social skills. Nothing like getting together with people, interacting, and combining the imaginations of several human brains versus a bunch of computer programming. :wink: Unfortunately, too many potential gamers now limit themselves to the PC monitor/TV screen, hacking/slashing and looting (like the early days of rpg's), and mostly playing by themselves or with a few friends or a bunch of strangers. I remember in the early days of rpg's, we gamers were viewed as socially isolated, basement dwellers...smart but lacking social skills... and who may be subject to joining Satanic cults and whatnot. It seems the video games of today are fulfilling that outlook (except for the cult part I hope). I have also noticed the decreasing numbers of those of us "old school" gamers doing traditional rpg's as the groups I know of in my area are fewer, smaller, and more clique-ish, and that the local game stores now devote more space to the boardgamers and CCGers. I like those things too, but I do worry about the future of traditional rpg's. :(

*I do realize some of the newer ones do have this feature, but when compared to an actual group of people doing it the traditional way, I still view the outcomes as limited in comparison.
FSchuttee
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Woodclaw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Bill wrote:Was he really that clueless, or was he actually expecting to play 'Superman' ?

FSchuttee wrote:I wouldn't say clueless, more like stubborn, lazy, or someone I wouldn't consider a "True Gamer." Of course, there are also the "power" gamers who do want to be the ultra-powerful characters who literally roll over every obstacle or avoid the ones that actually require real "role-playing" as opposed to "roll"-playing. :x

The guy pretty much argumented that the 30th level monster was "HIS" character, his alter ego in every possible thing and, having boosted him up from level 1 to level 30 he had no intention of using any other character because it wouldn't be "him".
The worst part. I tested this character with the Munchkin test and her scored 90-95%. That character used the Excalibur as a backup weapon and player thought it was cool because he had a weapon even more powerful... so sad...
"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?"
[i]'Gentleman' John Marcone[/i]
Woodclaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zaki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 pm

I sympathise with all of you who can't find players willing to try this great rp.

Guess I'm lucky then. The group I play in is mixture of old and young gamers and they are all willing to try anything. Right now I am nearing the end of my Pathfinder campaign. Maybe I should try Dragon Age...
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knightwolf64 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 pm

I feel your pain in this aspect. It seems to me that the large following of Pathfinder or D&D groups have dominated the playing field in game shops or even in private settings. Let me point out one VERY MAIN POINT. even generic systems such as GURPS. That can convert everything into it. This is not duct tape for RPG'S it cant hold up the RPG world. But on a more lighter note the best method that i have learnt from numerous other people is relate to them in a way of pros and cons about what the systems can do and cannot do for the group are playing with. Take the part of the group that wants to be adventureous and play the other system and play with them. Either the other people will come along or will simply go find a game elsewhere. After that try to find people that are more open minded about trying a new system. In time you will get a group together that will be in harmony. :D Just be patient.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby superduper » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:00 am

Well since they can't seem to get the ball rolling on Set 3, go ahead and play Pathfinder, I just converted using HERO LAB all my stuff into Pathfinder, made it easy 'SNAP!'....Got tired of waiting on GR. :mask:
superduper
Bystander
Bystander

Postby superduper » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:03 am

Knightwolf64 wrote:I feel your pain in this aspect. It seems to me that the large following of Pathfinder or D&D groups have dominated the playing field in game shops or even in private settings. Let me point out one VERY MAIN POINT. even generic systems such as GURPS. That can convert everything into it. This is not duct tape for RPG'S it cant hold up the RPG world. But on a more lighter note the best method that i have learnt from numerous other people is relate to them in a way of pros and cons about what the systems can do and cannot do for the group are playing with. Take the part of the group that wants to be adventureous and play the other system and play with them. Either the other people will come along or will simply go find a game elsewhere. After that try to find people that are more open minded about trying a new system. In time you will get a group together that will be in harmony. :D Just be patient.

This isn't always true, I have tried this before and it ends up A) you end up with no group to game with at all, or B) you just bite the bullet and GM what the group wants to play, I prefer to game so I go with B.
superduper
Bystander
Bystander

Postby selderane » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Bill wrote:I have wanted to run a Dragon Age game for quite a while now.

I know a lot of gamers, and they keep insisting we play Pathfinder.

Ughhh....

I really do not want to play 'dnd' flavored Dragon Age.

So I ended up doing the Dark Sun setting.

*sigh*

Can't get the players motivated to use a new system.

You're the GM and your players are deciding what games you'll run? Yeah, tell them to shove it.

I live my gaming life by one rule: If you want to play a game, you'd better be willing to run it.

Were I in your shoes my response would have been, "If you want Pathfinder, one of you is running it. I'm running Dragon Age." If they don't cotton to that, well, it's time to find a group that respects the work the GM has to put into making a game fun. You're not their employee.

Man that attitude ticks me off.
selderane
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Etarnon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 am

Agreed. It's too much work. run what you want.

You might have been a D&D DM for them before. You want to run something new.

Run the new thing.. If they want to play, they will, or you find new players.

Otherwise you are not having fun working for other peole that are too demanding, for low pay.

That kind of crap falls squarely into "the loudest player who rides the GM to the game decides what game the GM is running, or the DM gets no ride to the game."
"GM, do what we say or you get no ride home."

I've seen that on other forums, players and GMs in distress
It's a setup for real bad feelings. Power trips.

I last ran a Conspiracy X game in December, 2011. The group broke up.

Everyone wanted me to run something different. Lord of the Rings, Conan, Star Wars.

I told them I wanted to run Traveller. NO responses. Okay, so I am running D&D for a seperate group, and looking for Traveller players, 11 months later. Some have moved on, so what. If they want to push me into something I don't want to do, THEY ARE NOT MY FRIENDS.
Organizer, Steel City Gamers Meetup, Pittsburgh
http://www.meetup.com/Steel-City-Gamers/
Etarnon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 pm

You know, the end result is that neither your players nor you are playing Traveller. Both players and GMs are necessary, and I've never liked playing with "my way or the high way" anyone.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Bardwulf » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 pm

I am a firm believer that players have to somewhat concede to what the GM is feeling the energy to want to run. If he doesn't have that energy that drive, it may as well not happen. Results will be lacking.

That said, while the GM will be doing a good job initially, his players will then not input the energy they should be feeding him, which in turn will have a knock on effect.

I think the only solution is for a GM to disband and remake a group per system, if there is contention.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Etarnon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Well, I feel like They wanted Conspiracy X for a year, so i ran it. Then I want a few or more sessions of Traveller, they say no, we only want to play D&D.

So now I went 20 miles and found a new, enthusiastic group of completely different people to play Dragon Age (which I've just discovered.)

I'm not playing Traveller, but I found people that want to play a dark fantasy RPG and not make it about sex jokes and monty haul gaming.
Organizer, Steel City Gamers Meetup, Pittsburgh
http://www.meetup.com/Steel-City-Gamers/
Etarnon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zaki » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:12 am

I think it should be a decision, you make with your players. If they don't want to play the game, you want to run then there is no point in running the game

But you shouldn't be forced into running a game. Being a GM is hard work and if you don't have the motivation to run a game don't run it. No one benefits from a dismotivated game master.
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Inschskye » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:55 pm

I think its a shame that you can't get to run the DA game. I GM RPG's for my son, because he enjoys them and there is no-one else locally to play them with. We started using the AGE system, then I kinda hit a sticky spot with it and we changed system - going through Pathfinder and Warhammer among others - and now we have gone back to AGE system because its such an easy and flexible system.
Inschskye
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:55 am

When boxed set 3 arrives, I will have to put my foot down and possibly start a new group.
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG