Our hopes for Dragon Age RPG

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Our hopes for Dragon Age RPG

Postby Ferretz » Tue May 05, 2009 8:23 am

I thought I'd start a thread on what we hope the Dragon Age rpg will be like. Ever since my favorite fantasy rpg setting stopped being an rpg, turned completely into a minis game (I'm talking about Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms), I've been missing a really good and mature fantasy rpg.

So, my hopes for a rpg based on Dragon Age:
-Rich, detailed setting, with no ripp-offs from our own medieval history (of course, most settings are inspired by something, but please don't steal names of places and legends right from medieval England and Germany)
-Mature themes (no, that doesn't mean more sex or nude amazon warriors)
-Back to the roots, meaning tall, long-lived elves, dwarves from the mountains and nasty hordes of monsters
-Focus on epic stories, the good versus the evil and such themes
-Did I mention mature themes? :)
-Please, no tragic, goth-kid punk version of elves
-A very detailed character system with lots of options
-An easy and streamlined game system with lots of options. I like to spend much time on characters, but I want the actual play to move swiftly.
-And before I forget, I hope this doesn't turn into some miniature game

So, that's my wish-list. I do believe I will be happy with this. Fingers crossed :)

Cheers,

E.
Ferretz
Bystander
Bystander

Postby _x_ » Tue May 05, 2009 8:43 am

Elves are second class citizens in this gameworld. They used to be slaves to humans, thus there is quite a big goth vibe to them.
_x_
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Ferretz » Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am

That's one type of elves, but what about the other? You have Dalish elves and regular elves? I don't know the setting at all, but Dalish elves seem like the more Tolkien-type, or? :)

E.
Ferretz
Bystander
Bystander

Postby 77IM » Wed May 06, 2009 12:48 pm

My impression of the Dalish elves is that they are like medieval gypsies. They try to remain true to their roots, but are unwanted and untrusted nomads. Or something.

My hopes for the game are:
1. It is a really good introductory system for new role-players.

That's pretty much it. Hitting that goal will involve making it awesome in several other ways that I really appreciate, so rather than list them separately, I'll just emphasize that one.

-- 77IM
77IM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ferretz » Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 pm

I just hope that the rpg will be strong enough to stand on it's own legs, and not be something that rides on the waves created by the computer game. So let's hope for many supplements and extra material, in the spirit of the old rpgs of the 80s and 90s. Boxed sets or sourcebooks with maps of specific regions and more character options would be great. :D

I just remember a little rpg called "The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game". Looked very shiny, and the first rulebook was indeed really good, although some strange rules in it. But when the movies had moved away from the cinemas, and the dvd releases had come and gone, the company that released the game seemed to forget it.

I have big hopes that Green Ronin will treat this game very seriously, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Will be great with teasers and previews this summer. :)

Cheers,

Eirik
Ferretz
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lester » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:27 pm

My hopes are that no matter what changes there are between the video game and the PnP game, that the setting - including the populace, the places, and the items - all remain intact, as I'm sure they will.

Additionally, I hope that the PnP RPG statistics for PCs and NPCs from both the video game series and the novel series are added to one or more of the four planned PnP RPG products, included as part of the collector edition of the video game, or included as an appendix in the next novel - such as how the D&D, 3rd Edition statistics for draconians were included in the back of 'Draconian Measures'.
Lester
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:17 am

My hopes for Dragon Age are that the line will be supported through several years, with multiple full-length adventures.

Green Ronin's tendency to jump from property to property (rather than staying with a game) is unfortunate.

Not that they always abandon lines, of course. But how can we know Dragon Age will be a Freeport rather than, say, a Thieves World, Black Company or (I fear) a Song of Ice and Fire?
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Nikchick » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 am

Zapp wrote:My hopes for Dragon Age are that the line will be supported through several years, with multiple full-length adventures.

Green Ronin's tendency to jump from property to property (rather than staying with a game) is unfortunate.

Not that they always abandon lines, of course. But how can we know Dragon Age will be a Freeport rather than, say, a Thieves World, Black Company or (I fear) a Song of Ice and Fire?

The Black Company license was very difficult to negotiate: one book, no PDFs. We were straight about that when we published the book, one big book.

We published five books for Thieves World and released a gift set. It's a full treatment of the property. Interest in d20 waned enough that it didn't make sense to keep releasing d20 branded adventures for the line but the material we produced covers everything that anyone would need to run a full campaign.

A Song of Ice and Fire just released this spring! We have the core book, just released the Narrator's Kit and have Peril at King's Landing and the Campaign guide coming (I've seen the manuscripts!). We've got great stuff in the pipe for this line, don't be so pessimistic! :)

Nicole
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Zapp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 am

Thank you for replying /Zapp
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby MrJones » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:26 am

LotR Movie + Decipher rpg = Disaster.
MrJones