Anyone have any character types they want to try out first?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Anyone have any character types they want to try out first?

Postby Iltsuger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:34 am

If you were given the chance to create a Dragon Age character, say in the pen and paper version (although we can pretend for the moment that the mechanics are similar enough for the purposes of discussion), which would you create and why? Feel free to go into detail, if you want :)

I guess I'll start:

One of the first things I found intriguing during the pre-game hype was the alternate role for elves. Normally I like to play humans, but the idea that there's a vengeful elf underclass sounds pretty neat to me, so I'd try out an city elf rogue, mabye with an assassin specialization eventually for quick kills.
Iltsuger
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Krovikan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:00 pm

*** Warning: includes in game (console) information***

I'm actually thinking of being the GM for my first game, and I have an interesting idea to explore the aftermath of the Blight (post game) and the effects it has on the dwarfs.

Specifically, the heroes of the game convinced the Legion of the Dead to join them topside. I would like to explore the Deep Roads and have a campaign around the ground lost when the Dark Spawn come back and the battle to gain back the land lost because of the Legion leaving for the battle.
Krovikan
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby miburo530 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:59 am

ooo, thats an interesting idea. my plan for the first campaign is to set it just before the game, and take my characters to Ostagar, which could be fun.

However, my ultimate plan is to set a story a few hundred years in the future, and a campaign centered around the Sixth Blight, as Razikale rises to lead a new darkspawn horde against Orlais.

As for trying out characters, I'll probably try running a mage who goes down the blood mage specialization, just for fun! >:)
miburo530
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Krovikan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:13 am

miburo530 wrote:As for trying out characters, I'll probably try running a mage who goes down the blood mage specialization, just for fun! >:)

Interesting idea, I was always intrigued by the amount of xenophobia in the game, weather it be the dwarves vs everyone, humans vs elves, everyone vs blood mages and templars/chantry vs mages. It seemed to me a lot of the problems in Ferelden were caused by their own xenophobia.

Specifically for the mages rather then setting up institutions to help the mages control and grow there way in a better way for society, they locked them up or hunted them like animals. It would be interesting to have a party member Blood Mage (PC or NPC) be crucified by society once discovered and at crucial points during the campaign the party has to make decisions on backing the blood mage or killing them. Of course once they make it to the end of the campaign they realize they need the blood mage and all is lost if they killed them.

Make the players choose without knowing the happy ending or sad ending way before and of course nice story on why xenophobia is bad.
Krovikan
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby SnowDog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:05 am

Sounds like cool ideas. This game (the console game, too) seems pretty interesting after all. Maybe I have to spend some of my tax returns on it :)

But back to topic, I would probably choose a city elf rogue, too. There just is something about that kind of characters that I like :yar:
SnowDog
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Anyone have any character types they want to try out fir

Postby Jeff Tidball » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Iltsuger wrote:One of the first things I found intriguing during the pre-game hype was the alternate role for elves. Normally I like to play humans, but the idea that there's a vengeful elf underclass sounds pretty neat to me…

Ditto. This interesting, non-standard take on elves is what sold me on the game and the line.
Jeff Tidball
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Anyone have any character types they want to try out fir

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Iltsuger wrote:One of the first things I found intriguing during the pre-game hype was the alternate role for elves.

Also a good opportunity to mention that the Dalish feature prominently in the first Dragon Age adventure in Set 1. 8)
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Return to Dragon Age RPG