Some info

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Some info

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:38 am

Hello all,
I am really looking forward to this! I too entered the hobby with the red box D&D, and since then, I have been a fan of rules-light games, and when I want to introduce new players, my "go to" game of choice is still that red box.
One thing I liked about the D&D boxed sets was the fact that they slowly expanded both the rules of the game, and the "scope" of the game itself, which was useful not only for new players, but for veterans alike.

Hence my questions:
1) Will the Dragon Age boxed sets follow the same pattern?
2) Which kind of rules expansions can we expect to see in the other boxed sets? (I am thinking about mass combat, kingdom management just to name two)
3) Will the character classes (and races?) be built as monolithic blocks like D&D boxed sets? Actually, over the course of 36 levels, the classes did not get much in terms of variability (with the exception of spellcasters)
What I would like to see is some customisability like d20 D&D, though not at so detailed a level.
4) Will the game use a skill system?
5) Will the game require a battle mat to use?

Thanks for any and all information

Antonio
rabindranath72
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ryngard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 am

I can try to help with a few...

1) Will the Dragon Age boxed sets follow the same pattern?

Yes. There will be four boxed sets. The first covers levels 1-5, the second 6-10, etc. The boxed set will contain EVERYTHING you need to play those levels. Player and Gamemaster. This isn't a dumbed down version of the "real" game like the D&D boxed sets for 3e were. This is just the format they are doing and I for one love it!!!

2) Which kind of rules expansions can we expect to see in the other boxed sets? (I am thinking about mass combat, kingdom management just to name two)

No word on this, though I do expect as we get higher level and face larger tasks like those, we'll get some rules for it. Their biggest goal is to get back to gaming roots with less encumbering rules systems and to have fun!

3) Will the character classes (and races?) be built as monolithic blocks like D&D boxed sets? Actually, over the course of 36 levels, the classes did not get much in terms of variability (with the exception of spellcasters) What I would like to see is some customisability like d20 D&D, though not at so detailed a level.

I expect they will look/feel like a cross between D&D and Dragon Age: Origins.

4) Will the game use a skill system?

Again, not stated but I expect so. It will likely be simple like the one in the game (which works great)

5) Will the game require a battle mat to use?

I don't think it will REQUIRE it anymore than D&D does, however I expect that a battlemat and minis will be helpful for tactical combat. THOUGH I thought I read somewhere that it will be more... flowing than D&D has become.
Ryngard
Henchman
Henchman

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:10 am

Hi,
thanks for the answer!
Everything you said sounds cool to me. My only concern is about the practically mandatory use of a mat like 4e, where the skills and powers of characters are designed with tactical manoeuvering in mind (something which I hate). If it's something which can be played on a mat just for clarity, like all the other versions of D&D prior to 3.5, then it will be excellent. If not...I may have to pass. :(
rabindranath72
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mhensley » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am

rabindranath72 wrote:My only concern is about the practically mandatory use of a mat...

Steve Kenson wrote:No, the game does not require minis. There is a brief sidebar discussing the use of miniature figures in Dragon Age for those who want to employ them, but the core game rules are built so you don't need minis. Ranges and distances are in real-world measures (feet and yards), not squares or hexes.

See this thread-

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7863
Mike
hack/
mhensley
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 am

Cool thanks! I guess I am sold :D
rabindranath72
Bystander
Bystander