I am really looking forward to this! I too entered the hobby with the red box D&D, and since then, I have been a fan of rules-light games, and when I want to introduce new players, my "go to" game of choice is still that red box.
One thing I liked about the D&D boxed sets was the fact that they slowly expanded both the rules of the game, and the "scope" of the game itself, which was useful not only for new players, but for veterans alike.
Hence my questions:
1) Will the Dragon Age boxed sets follow the same pattern?
2) Which kind of rules expansions can we expect to see in the other boxed sets? (I am thinking about mass combat, kingdom management just to name two)
3) Will the character classes (and races?) be built as monolithic blocks like D&D boxed sets? Actually, over the course of 36 levels, the classes did not get much in terms of variability (with the exception of spellcasters)
What I would like to see is some customisability like d20 D&D, though not at so detailed a level.
4) Will the game use a skill system?
5) Will the game require a battle mat to use?
Thanks for any and all information