Stats Layout Question.

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Stats Layout Question.

Postby discuit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:36 am

Could you please tell us how the players stats will be displayed?

Please say it will be a simple -3 to +5 which is also simply the modifier you apply to the roll, not some silly roll 3d6 add them together, take away a donkey, add a chicken and then cross reference them to a table to see what your modifier is and never actually get to use that original 3d6 total in the game ever again! ;)
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby lordmalachdrim » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:43 am

I'd think with statements like. Characters start with stats ranging from -2 to +5. And the core mechanic is 3d6+ability that they would be the way you're hoping.
lordmalachdrim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby discuit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:07 am

Ohh crap where was that stated, i thought i'd read all things DA, but it seems i have missed an article or just forgotten it! Linkage please?
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby discuit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:09 am

Doh, never mind i see it now in the dev diary 2! Either way that is good news! Simplicity is big turn on for me. ;)
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mhensley » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:04 am

I wonder how level effects mechanics. When you level up, do you just get points to add to your attributes - like The Fantasy Trip?
Mike
hack/
mhensley
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby discuit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 am

That would also tie in with the way the pcrpg leveling works i guess. Maybe like 1 extra attribute point every 3rd level or something? With talents taking up your other level ups?
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby miburo530 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 am

And I wonder how stats are going to be attributed? Will there be a point-buy, or will it be randomly set?

Also, I don't like adding conversation and perception to the attributes. I liked that in the vgrpg, coercion was a skill only slightly connected to an ability score, which allowed even the biggest tank to be good at conversation. that is rare in rpgs.
miburo530
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Krovikan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 am

miburo530 wrote:And I wonder how stats are going to be attributed? Will there be a point-buy, or will it be randomly set?

Also, I don't like adding conversation and perception to the attributes. I liked that in the vgrpg, coercion was a skill only slightly connected to an ability score, which allowed even the biggest tank to be good at conversation. that is rare in rpgs.

complete guess here, but if average is 1 which I think I read on a post then point buy would be the way, because then you could bring a stat down to -2 from start. that is a lot of assumptions though.
Krovikan
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG