First Session Done (incl. House Rules)

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

First Session Done (incl. House Rules)

Postby Krovikan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Just finished running first session, allowed one character to pick up a war dog, 2 players, 4 PCs.

Human Circle Mage, Healer/Dmg
Dwarf Warrior, Tank
Mabari War Dog, Off-Tank/Dmg
Elf Apostate, Healer/Utility

House Rules Created:
    *Player Death Rules Apply to ALL NPCs
    *Any Stunts that say you can no longer gain stunt points, no longer say you can no longer gain stunt points. (this got pretty sick when the rogue got 8 attacks in one round, only dropped 3 mob members but I loved it made an epic part to the encounter)

Made it up to road ambush leaving town, War Dog dropped during first battle. Actually barely made it out of that scrape pretty brutal fight (not sure if healing spells wake up allies, accidentally did this went off healing rules after). War Dog dropped again during second battle, human mage decided to heal dog right after it dropped, moving with in melee. Mage was attacked by everything that the dog was being attacked by (4 angry citizens) and dropped in two turns. No combat in Mob scene.

Gave out 500xp, 300 for first encounter, 100 for mob, 100 for ambush. For tomorrow I will be creating some better rules for the Mabari War Dog, it kinda sucks in combat.
Krovikan
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby bushido11 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm interested as to what house rules you've been using for the Mabari war dog. As for their off-tank role, they're poorly suited for that in this game, as they have 0 Armor Rating. Perhaps if you had made it elite or heroic, it would be more durable in combat. Perhaps taking on a specially-modified version of a rogue or warrior class could've helped out as well, such as sneak attacks and whatnot.
"Est Sularus oth Mithas." My honor is my life.
bushido11
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Krovikan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 pm

bushido11 wrote:I'm interested as to what house rules you've been using for the Mabari war dog. As for their off-tank role, they're poorly suited for that in this game, as they have 0 Armor Rating. Perhaps if you had made it elite or heroic, it would be more durable in combat. Perhaps taking on a specially-modified version of a rogue or warrior class could've helped out as well, such as sneak attacks and whatnot.

Ya I need to fix some of the War Dog's stuff for off tank, as you can see for the battles he hasn't been working that great for it. How it works is commands are shouted by the owner and the dog listens, if the command is no longer valid I dictate several instinct actions and let the player decide what the dog does. Mostly the stats, stunts, ect are from the Mabari War Dog. I haven't decided if I am going to let it level or not yet, so far I'm leaning towards no and gear upgrades only.
Krovikan
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby angel_lord » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:50 pm

It's interesting to read this. Congrats on starting your game.

I am gearing up for our Dragon Age Campaign - creating Major NPC's, creating a few small settlements to fit within Ferelden, etc. I would be curious to hear more about the decisions you make pertaining to the Mabari especially.
angel_lord
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG