Awesome Job!

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Awesome Job!

Postby discuit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:48 am

Picked up my pdf copy last night and just finished my second read through. So just wanted to say great job! The system seems simple yet robust!

The only "bones" i have to pick are:

1. The profile picture of the blacksmith in the adventure notes is all blury and pixelated, oh and the the one of the innkeepers has the guy wearing modern looking glasses. :oops:

2. The Dragon die concept is awesome, but i must say i agree with others that have mentioned that the harder the task is the better you will succeed at it is a bit odd. I think i'll just get my players to roll a 4th smaller d6 (we have these little d6'ers) and use that as the dragon die. Problem solved!

Conclusion: Money well spent and it will definately get played which is the main thing!
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Awesome Job!

Postby jaguar451 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:20 pm

discuit wrote:2. The Dragon die concept is awesome, but i must say i agree with others that have mentioned that the harder the task is the better you will succeed at it is a bit odd. I think i'll just get my players to roll a 4th smaller d6 (we have these little d6'ers) and use that as the dragon die. Problem solved!

Not easy to invert the value? 6 is minimal success, 1 is awesome success. Does break the harmony of 'higher is better', but....

Or would it work with not using the Die at all, and just using the difference between the target number to succeed and the actual roll (max of 6) to determine degree of success?

(I don't have the game yet, but am thinking about it...)
jaguar451
Bystander
Bystander

Postby discuit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 pm

The system itself is awesome, i just know that 2 out of the 4 ppl i GM for will spot this "issue" immediately.

We play tomorrow night so i'll see what they say then i guess.

Inverting is a possibility too i guess, as it isn't like we are new to rpg's or anything so doing so shouldn't confuse us or anything. ;)

First though, like we do with all rpg systems, we'll play through it as written a few times and then decide if we need to change anything. :)
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Warchylde » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 pm

I see the Dragon Die issue, which keeps getting mentioned, as not a failing of this game system (AGE) but a failing of the game master.

The first thing: the Dragon Die doesn't matter unless it matters.

And B): The problem with the Dragon Die exists only if a GM allows degrees of success to matter on a roll which requires the Player to roll a 16 or higher to be successful in the first place . With the way this system is designed a high TN should not ever involve degree of success. Just succeeding matters.

For Example: Bob the elf needs to convince the elf hating human lord to save all the poor elf girls in the Alienage from the depredations of his son. This task is near impossible so an appropriate TN of a lot is needed. This requires Bob the elf to roll 17 or better. He can only succeed at such a task; he cannot, no matter what, do better than succeed. So 5 or 6 on the dragon die does not get the elf hating human lord to become an elf loving hippie.
Warchylde
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zebuleon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Warchylde, then the problem arises "when does it matter"

at what point does the dragon dice kick in? How do you know what should have the chance of succeeding better than normal? I mean when I'm baking a cake is there a chance for me to do better than just succeed? or when I need to pick a lock? or convince a merchant to buy my goods? the list goes on. Degrees of success really don't matter for almost anything you can think of. but then they can also really matter for the same amount.

For me this kind of mechanic should be an all or nothing kind of thing. But I will probably do what someone else mentioned in another thread and that is to have a 4th die that will be the dragon die.
zebuleon
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Brokensoul » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:58 pm

So just wanted to say great job! The system seems simple yet robust!

Seconded.

When I first started thinking about the dragon die and such it kind of botherd me too. But have come to like the idea of rolling by the book.

The only thing I might do as a house rule is limit the number on the dragon die for checks to the amount you roll over the TN.
Brokensoul
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Flurdt07 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:58 pm

[quote="zebuleon"]Warchylde, then the problem arises "when does it matter"

at what point does the dragon dice kick in? How do you know what should have the chance of succeeding better than normal? I mean when I'm baking a cake is there a chance for me to do better than just succeed? or when I need to pick a lock? or convince a merchant to buy my goods? the list goes on. Degrees of success really don't matter for almost anything you can think of. but then they can also really matter for the same amount.

I think that comes in with what was said earlier, its based on the GM, you convince some one that your not a thief ... okay Dragon Dice roll may say you do it well, the GM may say that becouse of this number (whatever) he is keeping a close eye on you, doesnt REALY trust you, or what have you. It comes down to the old rule, a game is only as good as G.O.D. (Games Operations Directer) 8)
Flurdt07
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG