The Dalish Curse (Very Minor Spoilers)

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

The Dalish Curse (Very Minor Spoilers)

Postby discuit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I just have a little question regarding the Advanced Test with the village mob.

What exaclty is the purpose of making this an Advanced Test? I mean there is no time pressure on the scene and no consequence for failure as it is written. Now i know i can wing and make up a lot of things but i just ask this as the game is written and intended for new GM's no?

I mean any of the following would work i guess:

1. You havd 5 minutes (each time unit listed as 1 minute in teh adventure) to convince the mob before they attack;
2. If you fail 3 (or 4, or 5, whatever) checks they attempt to forcefully take the elf.
3. Etc etc

I only write this because unless i missed something, players can just keep rolling until they reach the Threshold.....indefinately, now not only could this get a little boring, but removing any consequence for failure basically makes the whole thing pointless no?
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby asayami » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am

It would seem that ultimately failing this encounter and allowing harm to befall Eshara could derail the rest of the plot. I think you are right, it's not clear what Steve intends as the outcome if the situation is not diffused.

From a pure roleplaying experience, perhaps there is some merit in not rolling anything at all for the encounter, relying on the players acting skills to convince the mob. This could go on for as long as is necessary, with the players presenting arguments as to why the elf should not be harmed.

Failure to win their point, however, could result in violence which might set them at odds with the village, perhaps even leading to arrest by Warden Dale when he returns from his patrol.

For those players who have less confidence in roleplaying such a volatile situation, it looks like it would be best to shorten this sequence, perhaps letting them get involved with limited fighting before some circumstance intervenes before things get very messy. I'd certainly tend to limit the number of tries before someone in the crowd tries to punch one of the pc's, but I'd hold back from using lethal force and hope that the players would do likewise considering the consequences if they kill one of the villagers or allow the villagers to harm the elf.

A shoot first and ask questions later group is going to come really unstuck with this encounter, and you might have to do some quick thinking to stop it turning into a blood bath.
asayami
Bystander
Bystander

Postby discuit » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:31 am

asayami wrote: it's not clear what Steve intends as the outcome if the situation is not diffused.

This...especially as the adventure is meant for new GM's.

Calling Steve? Or Mr Pramas?
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 am

discuit wrote:Calling Steve? Or Mr Pramas?

First off, try and give us more than 24 hours to address questions, please. I know the Internet age is one of instant response, but GR is a small company and we all have a lot on our respective plates.

That out of the way: my idea with the Advanced Test to defuse the mob in Vintiver was to introduce the concept of Advanced Tests to the players, provide a roleplaying opportunity, and set up the following scenes. There aren't specific consequences for failure but the important thing (and the reason it's a bit of a spoiler) is the player's don't know that. Essentially, if they make an effort, they can defuse the situation, given time.

The GM is free to handle a severe botch—like the party outright attacking the villagers—any way that seems appropriate. If the party has to flee ahead of a howling mob, then so be it. It may well "derail" the later parts of the adventure, but there's no adventure outline that's immune to those sorts of disruptions.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Krovikan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:20 pm

for my campaign, I would change the mood of the crowd based on the dice rolls, when he got the crowd really mad a pitch fork was thrown at the player and an angry dwarf had to be held back by an elf (they were hiding in the shadows to not try to spook the humans.
Krovikan
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby discuit » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Steve Kenson wrote:First off, try and give us more than 24 hours to address questions, please. I know the Internet age is one of instant response, but GR is a small company and we all have a lot on our respective plates.

Easy big fella, i didn't mean now, it wasn't about time, it was more about that only you guys could clarify it, as you wrote it. ;)

My point was more that inexperienced GM's could find themselves in a bit of a loop with it as written, and as the game line, as we are repeatedly being told, is aimed at new blood, i thought i'd raise the issue.

No matter, it is still a great adventure, with lots of cool stuff, so it's all good in the long run.
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby discuit » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Just as an aside, we finished up to the fight with the Revengers.

So far everyone is really enjoying the adventure, and i'd be lying if i didn't like throwing around the terms "shem" and "knife ears" a lot, great fun!

No glaring issues so far (i used a modified version of option 1 above, that being basically after 5 minutes the villagers would force the players from the village....it wasn't needed as they succeeded in 3 minutes). All of the fights have been pretty easy so far, especially if you play Coalan and his ambushers as smart folks who dont want to die. ;)

Other than that all good.
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Dragon Age RPG