Talent Requirements in Character Generation

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Talent Requirements in Character Generation

Postby Radioactive Ape Colin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Quoting Baumi on RPG.net:

I bought the PDF and created a few characters wich was really fun so far (even if it is quite unbalanced because of all the randomness), but I have a question about the Talents. The Classes lets you pick one ore more Talents, do you have to fulfill the Requirements at this stage or not? It thought you need it, but most characters would be greatly limited in their starting Talents and I even had one who could take no Talents at all because of the Requirements....

My hunch is that requirements are requirements, whether at character creation or later, but I could be wrong, and an official word on this wouldn't go amiss.

Colin
Freelancer: AFMBE, A|State, Atlantis, C&C, Faery's Tale Deluxe, Godlike, Hellas, Hollow Earth Exp., Iron Kingdoms d20, No Quarter, Omni, Talislanta, UnMet, Waste World, Wild Talents, etc.
Radioactive Ape Colin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Technically speaking, you do have to meet the requirements. A GM who wants to wave them for starting characters isn't going to break the game though.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Re: Talent Requirements in Character Generation

Postby Zapp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:07 am

Radioactive Ape Colin wrote:I even had one who could take no Talents at all because of the Requirements....

Hmmm... wouldn't this indicate a very mediocre stat array?

I'm inclined to use this as a mulligan rule instead: you do need to fulfill the requirements, but if you can't get any talents, you get to re-roll your stat array and start over!
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:54 am

What I might do for a player than can't qualify for a talent is to give him an extra level of Health or something like that. depends on if the player wants the talents or not. if the player is feeling cheated, probably ok to let them have a talent they can't qualify for. But watch the other players get greedy :)
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Radioactive Ape Colin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks, Chris. I'd post this on but Zapp has already done so. :)

Colin
Freelancer: AFMBE, A|State, Atlantis, C&C, Faery's Tale Deluxe, Godlike, Hellas, Hollow Earth Exp., Iron Kingdoms d20, No Quarter, Omni, Talislanta, UnMet, Waste World, Wild Talents, etc.
Radioactive Ape Colin
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG