Dual Strike Stunt

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Dual Strike Stunt

Postby Zapp » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:42 am

Am I correct in understanding that you will know your attack test result when deciding whether to take this stunt.

That is, if I'm attacking an Enraged Corpse, and roll 1, 1, 4 (on the dragon die) for a total of 10 (assuming bonuses of +4) I attack it successfully.

Now, imagine there standing a Dragonling next to it. I could use my 4 stunt points to make a Dual Strike.

However, if I've played a bit, I know an attack score of 10 won't hit much of anything (except another Enraged Corpse), so is it okay not to choose the Dual Strike Stunt in this case?

That is, is it okay to only choose this stunt when I suspect it will be effective? In fact, would you recommend the Games Master to tell the player this outright? ("You know Bob, I wouldn't choose a Dual Strike in this case; you're only going to waste your stunt points").
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Dual Strike Stunt

Postby Reef » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 am

Zapp wrote:Am I correct in understanding that you will know your attack test result when deciding whether to take this stunt.

That is, if I'm attacking an Enraged Corpse, and roll 1, 1, 4 (on the dragon die) for a total of 10 (assuming bonuses of +4) I attack it successfully.

Now, imagine there standing a Dragonling next to it. I could use my 4 stunt points to make a Dual Strike.

However, if I've played a bit, I know an attack score of 10 won't hit much of anything (except another Enraged Corpse), so is it okay not to choose the Dual Strike Stunt in this case?

That is, is it okay to only choose this stunt when I suspect it will be effective? In fact, would you recommend the Games Master to tell the player this outright? ("You know Bob, I wouldn't choose a Dual Strike in this case; you're only going to waste your stunt points").

I'd say it's definitely okay not to choose a stunt you suspect will fail. Tactical decisions are important in real combat too :). However, I (as a DM) wouldn't tell a player it would fail. That's the sort of thing they'll learn soon enough.

Note, that when I DM, I generally warn players if a plan likely has a zero chance of success. However, I feel that stunts happen often enough that if they blow one, I'm not going to feel guilty about it. There's always another one around the corner. Just so you don't think I'm a DM who loves watching my players fail :).

Also, all this is based on reading, and not playing DA. If it turns out Stunting is a lot less frequent than I'm imagining, I'd be more likely to warn them.
Reef
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG