Weapon Styles

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Weapon Styles

Postby Andferne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:14 pm

I do not yet have my hands on the rules for this and was wondering if anything has been mentioned yet. Also what everyone thinks about the different styles.

In the game we have styles set up for sword & shield, dual wielding, two-handed, and archery. Where you can specialize in them and gain extra bonuses. Is this the same for the tabletop rpg? has it been mentioned?

I'm also wondering if a single hand style has been covered. That was one of the main things I did not like for the game. You could not specialize in using just a single sword while the other was free. Yes you could do it, but unlike the other styles there was no specializing in it.
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Drew D Scott » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Yes to all of the above. Characters have access to weapon talents which progress in a similar way to those found in the VG. The first set covers the Novice and Journeyman levels. Single-handed style is amongst them, and the benefits it offers are substantial.
Drew D Scott
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Andferne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Awesome, thanks.

Looking forward to seeing what it all entails now. Deep down I'm hoping for mastery or something to have a benefit similar to this. Though I doubt it will.

Single Style Mastery: While in light armor and having nothing in your off-hand you gain an additional defense equal to your cunning. (Now granted I am not sure how things work in this game yet, so that might be over-powered)
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:29 pm

It could very well work that way; at the moment you gain a +1 or +2 to your defense when using a single weapon. It wouldn't be that odd of a game design decision for a third- or fourth-tier power to base its bonus on an attribute rather than a flat number.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Drew D Scott » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:29 pm

It's better than you might think...

Single Weapon Style

Classes: Rogue and Warrior.

Requirement: You must have Perception 2 or higher.
You can fight effectively wielding only a single-handed
melee weapon.

Novice: Fighting with a single weapon demands increased
awareness. If you take the activate action, you
gain a +1 Defense bonus until the end of the encounter
while fighting in this style.

Journeyman: You can create a web of steel with but a
single weapon. Your bonus to Defense increases to +2
while fighting in this style.

A +2 bonus is serious business when facing antagonists in set 1. It's a great style to have.

EDIT: Crossposted with Batgirl III.
Drew D Scott
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Andferne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Yay! I'm happy to see this style implemented. It's by far my favorite for my Elf character. Game wise I made him a City Elf Rogue, specializing in Bard and Duelist. Firm believer that knowledge equals power and to have his sword just as sharp as his wit. lol
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Return to Dragon Age RPG