Game plot idea

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Game plot idea

Postby Andferne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

I wanted to share this idea and get some feedback on it. Always looking for ways to improve stories and build upon them. ^^

Blight's have plagued the land numerous times throughout history. No one is really sure how the Darkspawn find the old ones, or even the details in how they become an Archedemon. It is only know that the various darkspawn spread across the underdark like locus, searching for their masters.

But now the truth has been uncovered, but are we already too late to stop it? It has been recovered that during the hiatus of a Blight there are Four Riders (Name is still in debate). Special Generals of the darkspawn who are even more feared than their emissary's. These four Generals are who hold the darkspawn together while the Archdemons slumber. They are the ones who blood awakens the beast in a dark and sacred ritual.

These four riders are all powerful in their own rights. In the journals uncovered they are often referred to as the Four Rider of the Archdemon. Not much is known of them save that all four are uniquely different.

Rider of Conquest is the strongest and more feared of them. A terrifying Ogre who even towers over his own kind.

Rider of War is the most bloodthirsty of their kind. A Genlock who wears the heaviest of armor stained in the blood of dwarves.

Rider of Famine is the powered by supernatural magics, a dark master in the rites of blood. This Hurlock possesses an intelligence that would even rival the greatest Mage or Bard.

Rider of Death is a Shriek covered in darkness. Death laying in wake where ever it shows.

It is through these four efforts that the darkspawn are not completely wiped out after a Blight ends. It is also their efforts that keep them organized in attempts to uncovered the Old Gods. Can you find these fiends and stop them before they release the next Archdemon?
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Saisei » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:08 am

That's quite an interesting hook. I like the whole 'Rider of...'. Very apocalyptic ;)

So would there be 4 of these riders in each country? Can't specific countries (Such as Orlais, or anywhere there are Grey Wardens) have their own Blights? I can't remember... (There's an excuse to play the CRPG again!)

As far as the riders themselves go I'm not sure about having the 4 darkspawn types always be a specific rider. I think you should try to change it up with something akin to a darkspawn Revenant or Abomination. A bastardisation of 2 twisted creatures. Or maybe something like a Brood Mother (Or even a Brood Father) for one of them

And my final suggestion is that one of the riders be a former Grey Warden who has gone into the Deep Roads. They are corrupted by the blight already and it's continually mentioned how powerful the Grey Wardens are. Why shouldn't a Warden keep that power when they turn into a darkspawn? If they can whoop darkspawn butt when they're human/elf/dwarf with a bit of the taint why shouldn't they become even more powerful when they completely succumb to the taint?

.. ok I've gotten the gears going in my own head now... off to brainstorm!
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Andferne » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks.

I felt that the coming of a Blight should feel very apocalyptic so the concept seemed sound for the horseman/riders. Though I am still not settled in calling them the Riders.

I don't think each country got their own Blights, seeing as there are only so many of the Old Gods. It is just that each time they rise up in a different location. I could be wrong however so don't quote me on that.

Originally the Four Generals were set up like this.
Conquest: Qunari Beserker
War: Fallen dwarven Grey Warden
Famine: Elven Blood Mage
Death: Human Assassin
But then opted to change it to darkspawn as I wrote that out last night. At the time it seemed more fitting. But I do love the idea of changing some of them around, beyond the norm. Such as one being a Revenant, perhaps the Elven Blood Mage is an abomination. Lots of ideas.
Not too fond of a Brood Mother or Father being one though. I'd like for them to be mobile and unless I am mistaken the brood mothers are kind of limited on where they are located.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Return to Dragon Age RPG