Batgirl III's Thread (A Short Victorious War)

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Postby Riggswolfe » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Ladyhawke as Dark Fantasy? I love that movie but it's more romantic fantasy than Dark Fantasy.
Riggswolfe
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Saisei » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:01 pm

American McGee's Alice is an excellent game. And we're finally getting a sequel! Granted in 2012 but hey.

As far as Dark Fantasy reading I would personally recommened George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones series. The DA developers cited it as one of their influences. And also Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series.

GRRM's books are far more focused on the political intrigue side of fantasy and as fantasy goes this is slightly different. No elves or dwarves just this pervading sense that you're not being told something and there's hints at darker powers.

Joe Abercrombie's is a little easier to read but no less brutal but again no elves and dwarves. Magic is more prevalent though.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Zapp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:14 am

Batgirl III wrote:So, here's my thoughts on what I think a GM needs to do to run a simple game. Its a two step process. Let go of the book and let go of the players.

I take it you don't like Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition much...? 8)

(That game is obsessed about the rules, and obsessed about balance.)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:00 am

I take it you don't like Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition much...?
(That game is obsessed about the rules, and obsessed about balance.)

Actually, I enjoy 4th Edition quite a bit. The rules mostly fade away during play, as 90% of the rules any given player needs are right there on their sheet or power cards, and 80% of what the DM needs are found on his or her screen.

I have no problem with the game designers worrying about balance when crafting the mathematics of the system. Heck, I prefer that they do it for me. But when I am at the table, I put on my "storyteller hat" and try not to rely on the rulebooks, after the game and away from the table my "referee hat" is put on. I can be one of the most fearsome rules lawyers you are ever likely to meet in that mode.

Anyhow, that's my take on things. Each and every edition of D&D has had its own merits and flaws. I have played them all and enjoyed them all. I would appreciate if people refrained from turning this thread into a discussion on the pros/cons od D&D Nth edition.

As far as Dark Fantasy reading I would personally recommened George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones series. The DA developers cited it as one of their influences. And also Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series.

I haven't read these, but I have heard good things. My little list was by no means exhaustive, just a few sources I like to read/watch when I want to get the old gamemastery gears turning.

adyhawke as Dark Fantasy? I love that movie but it's more romantic fantasy than Dark Fantasy.

It can't be both? :wink:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby hortum » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:05 am

Well, I have to say, that is a great introduction to dark fantasy!, congratulations and thanks, I´ll be sure to check out some of those references.

Also I would like to add:

Dark Fantasy is concerned with the personal journey of the hero, often trying to answer the question "what price are you willing to pay for your goals", the hero inevitably must face his jungian Shadow and most of the time, the answer he gets might not be what he expected in the first place.

Of course, the journey is the adventure in itself, in this sense, in dark fantasy the hero (or heroes) have a greater impact on the world (and the world on them) that in other genera (like grim fantasy, where the world itself is the protagonist and the "heroes" are the eyes through which we witness it) or sword and sorcery (where the heroe´s values are seldom explored).

I have personally found two ways in which to exalt these elements in roleplaying games, both of them well presented in the curse of the dalish adventure.

First one I´d call the shadow´s mirror, the hero sees himself reflected on the villain and realizes he would have done the same thing the villain did.

In the curse of the dalish (no spoilers) we can connect with that the villain was feeling and what drove him to do what he did, it could happen to anyone as long as we bare pride and resentment in our hearts.

For additional mirrors DA:O is full of them, a lot of the villains have solid reason to do what they are doing.

The second one is consequences, in fantasy literature we rarely see how the small actions of the hero bare consequences, we are shown the great picture, what role he plays in the universe... in Dark Fantasy the small actions matter, sometimes more, than the great quest itself, the Hero must take responsibility for what he has done and accept it as part of who he is.

Once again in the introductory adventure there is a certain encounter somewhere in the beginning that basically dictates how the epilogue will play out.

In essence, what Dark Fantasy means for the Gamemaster (in my eyes) is to create a sense of doubt on the character values and personal goals in the context of a fantasy adventure.
hortum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:09 am

Riggswolfe wrote:Ladyhawke as Dark Fantasy? I love that movie but it's more romantic fantasy than Dark Fantasy.

It's pretty dark when you consider some of the themes and implications (the tainted preist and his forbidden lust, the sadistic wolf hunter, the corrupt knight who serves the priest, the bleak outlook of the good monk). Not to mention having the most realistic gritty combat in any fantasy film 'till Peter Jackson set down to make a rather famous fantasy trilogy.

Batgirl, you'd better add most of David Gemmel's fantasy to the literature section. The Dragon Age style seems to be highly evocative of his style. Then again, The Witcher seems to be copying Gemmel's style too. Gemmel is particularly well known for his heart warming three dimensional villains or his ability to kill off characters by surprise (and not always the ones you expected to see die). At times his style is reminiscent of old cowboy films with his focus on gritty realism in a fantasy setting but that's definately part of what Dragon Age is about.
Balgin Stondraeg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Drew D Scott » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:13 am

I'll second the recommendation for A Song of Ice and Fire. The brutality and intrigue it depicts has to be read to be believed. The series is my primary tonal inspiration for the campaign I'm currently running.
Drew D Scott
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batgirl III » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:49 pm

This purpose of this notice is to instruct newly initiated templars on appropriate measures for handling the annual visitation by the vile abomination known to the unworthy as Santa Claus.

As the diligent will recall, the incursion occurs regularly every twelve months, roughly corresponding to a lunar year. This trespass has occurred with disturbing regularity since at least the fall of Tevinter Empire, and perhaps longer, as many records were misplaced.

The faithful will recognize the target on sight, as his garb and pariphenlia mark him immediately as an apostate and abominations.

Santa Claus is a corpulent, bloated creature which bears only a faint resemblance to its original human form. It wears a crimson tunic the color of fresh blood, marking him as a possible host of a Rage Demon. It is bearded, mocking the honorable dwarves of Orzammar, and its hair is a sallow shade of grey, betraying its unnatural age. Be advised that despite the creatures fearsome name, no claws have been observed, and the moniker is likely a ruse.

The target has been observed in the company of dozens of elves of unknown clan or lineage. Santa Claus is conveyed by means of a small aravel pulled by eight or nine creates known to the elves as halla. These beings single-mindedly pull the target's vehicle during its yearly invasion. They are outfitted with belled harnesses which are apparently magically imbued with the ability of flight. These creatures have been known to shed a luminous substance resembling lyrium as they move. Templars should take care to avoid exposure.

Perhaps more disturbing is the variable number of the minion-creatures. On occasion, a ninth halla has been observed, placed before the other halla. This singular creature radiates a sickly reddish glow from its snout, as a spiritual beacon to other followers of the abomination.

Santa Claus gains entry to the domiciles of innocent Freemen across Ferelden and leaves small trinkets to tempt the faithful awat from the pure worship of the Maker.

Templars are reminded to confiscate and incinerate these items before any lasting damage is done. By means of unknown magical process some form of temporal distortion field is in effect around the abomination, and Santa Claus is able to deposit his trinkets into the homes spread far across Ferelden in a single night. The senior enchanters of the Circle of Magi swear that such magics are impossible, but the evidence of this abomination's activities is clear. Templars shoudl be advised to enter homes in their localities before the freemen become aware of the heresy that has been visited upon them, to confiscate and incinerate these leavings.

In other cases, removal of the items after the freemen have discovered them is possible. In such cases, small children are occasionally loath to surrender the items, as the tainting of the juveniles has already begun. Executions of the above are to be handled in the most expedient manner possible.

Santa Claus enters the homes of the freemen be way of cimneys, fireplaces, and ovens. The size of the opening is not a factor, as the creature can adjust its weight and size by means of blood magic manipulation of its own form. Laying traps in these opennings - such a a furrier might lay for bear or wolves - has proven successful.

The abomination leaves the home by the same means, after ritually caressing his nostrils. No mucus has ever been recovered.

Although all previous attempts at the destruction of Santa Claus have failed, Templars are urged to make such an attempt whenever possible.

However, of more importance is the suppression of cultist activity associated with the yearly incursion. The heretics have been known to erect shrines in their homes in the form of shrubbery adorned with baubles and lights (Note: the shrubbery is often highly inflammable, and offers discrete method of executing the offending heretics without calling undue attention to the templar). Other warning signs include: hallucinations involving sugered candies during slumber (evidence of Sloth Demon activity); excessive singing (evidence of Pride Demons); obessive playing of drums by little boys in the presence of infants (a sure sign of Rage Demon possession); the performance of lustful rituals while underneath plant clippings (clear sign of a Lust Demon); and the construction of effigies made of snow (in mockery of the works of the Maker).

Once again, executions should be handled in an expedient manner.

--Excerpt from a letter sent by a senior templar in Redcliffe to his initiates, 7:73 Storm
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby danbuter1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:09 am

That was awesome! I'm sure if Santa Claus was depositing toys at the Chantry, they might be a bit more lenient. :lol:
danbuter1
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batgirl III » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:02 am

At Basilisk Fort will be how I kick off my first campaign, and is the first time I've ever shared an adventure I wrote with the public... Normally, I just run from a few pages of notes. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?wmgoqejzfnz
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zapp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Drew D Scott wrote:I'll second the recommendation for A Song of Ice and Fire. The brutality and intrigue it depicts has to be read to be believed. The series is my primary tonal inspiration for the campaign I'm currently running.
Yes, it's interesting to see how Green Ronin has ended up publishing two so similar fantasy settings in short order.

Take myself as an example: I was a potential SIFRP customer until I was lured away by Dragon Age... If I will ever run an adventure in Westeros, why not use the AGE engine?
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Saisei » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 am

Zapp wrote:Take myself as an example: I was a potential SIFRP customer until I was lured away by Dragon Age... If I will ever run an adventure in Westeros, why not use the AGE engine?

I can see where you're coming from but I think you'd struggle to run ASoIaF in the DARPG (Woo acronyms!). I see DA as a far more action movie RP system where as I imagine ASoIaF would need far more skills and the like. I haven't actually seen GR's rules for GRRM's world but I do have the leather bound collector's edition of the Guardians or Order ASoIaF RP and though there were a hell of a lot of rules it seemed to fit the world.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be a customer for GR's book due to the fact that no-one in my group is interested in A Game of Thrones :(
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Drew D Scott » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:22 am

Zapp wrote:
Drew D Scott wrote:I'll second the recommendation for A Song of Ice and Fire. The brutality and intrigue it depicts has to be read to be believed. The series is my primary tonal inspiration for the campaign I'm currently running.
Yes, it's interesting to see how Green Ronin has ended up publishing two so similar fantasy settings in short order.

Take myself as an example: I was a potential SIFRP customer until I was lured away by Dragon Age... If I will ever run an adventure in Westeros, why not use the AGE engine?

Agreed. The more I read (and run) DA the more I appreciate how adjustable it is. The background mechanic is a masterstroke for creating templates appropriate to one's setting of choice without fumbling around creating new character classes. Skills (i.e. focuses) can be added and subtracted without needing to bother with subsystemic balancing. Increasing lethality simply requires an across-the-board reduction of health points. Producing a SOI&F variant is eminently possible with a few simple tweaks.
Drew D Scott
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Caomgen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:04 am

The Santa Claus reminds me of the Rare Exports videos on YouTube.

Very nice DA take on the spirit of Christmas.
Caomgen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jekias » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:43 am

Batgirl III wrote:At Basilisk Fort will be how I kick off my first campaign, and is the first time I've ever shared an adventure I wrote with the public... Normally, I just run from a few pages of notes. Enjoy!

Thanks Batgirl, I like the added touch you have with the pictures in there. And a good little adventure too :)
Jekias
Booster
Booster

Postby Aldaris » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:14 am

I really liked the beginning with the dwarf conman, the climax could've used a bit of a twist though. As it is it's a little straightforward for my taste. But hey! Well written, nice ideas, and it can be fleshed out if one wants a bit more in there. Thanks for the effort!
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Batgirl III » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:56 am

I really liked the beginning with the dwarf conman, the climax could've used a bit of a twist though. As it is it's a little straightforward for my taste. But hey! Well written, nice ideas, and it can be fleshed out if one wants a bit more in there. Thanks for the effort!

Thansk a bunch!

This adventure is meant to flow into my next, which I'm calling A Short Victorious War, and as a result the climax really isn't cinematic. A Short Victorious War will take place shortly before and during the Battle of Ostagar.

I've got only the roughest of outlines for it, but in a nutshell, the heroes will get to meet King Maric and Teyrn Loghain as the armies of Ferelden pass through the Basilisk Fort region en route to Ostagar. This will, hopefully, give them a chance to feel involved in the greater events of DA:O without having to ape the plot. Meeting King Maric will give them a chance to legitimize their ownership of the keep, get a taste of politics, and (I hope) make news of his "murder and betrayal" hit home.

The later half of A Short Victorious War will be a "set piece" sort of scene: a big battle between the heroes, a few NPC soldiers detached to the keep, and a warband of darkspawn attempting to get in behind Ostagar's eastern flank.

A Short Victorious War will, in turn, be the set up for my third adventure... about which I know even less at this point! But it'll involve poltics, elves, romance, kidnapping, and a little less combat.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Aldaris » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:58 am

King Cailan, not Maric. Maric was the daddy.
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Batgirl III » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:03 am

Aldaris wrote:King Cailan, not Maric. Maric was the daddy.

What, did I forget to mention the Tardis sidequest? :lol: Fair cop, I got the name of the king wrong...
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Aldaris » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:05 pm

You did, but the ideas as such seem pretty good. I'll propably wait and see how to continue when the GM screen (which contains an adventure if I am not mistaken) and the "Blood in Ferelden" supplements come out. Despite being a GM and player for almost 20 years, I suck at coming up with my own adventures. I am, however, very good at modifying materials to my taste and needs.
So if I can somehow integrate that stuff with the published materials that will come out, consider some of your ideas nicked.
:wink:
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Now whilst I only skimmed your GM's notes (I'll get 'round to a propper readthrough later) I'm under the impression that you've got some pretty nasty killer combats in there at the end. I generaly wouldn't want to pitt that many genlocks against a first level party let alone the hurlocks. Especialy as some groups are overlooking others (on the wall above a gate, for example).

I hope you aren't running it for new roleplayers. Experienced roleplayers could enjoy the thrill of carefuly scouting out an area and dealing with it apropriately but newer players are more likely to be a bit less cautious. Anyway, I'll probably roll up a bunch of brand new characters and run them through it to see if it's as overwhelming as it looks or if that was just a first impression thing.
Balgin Stondraeg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Batgirl III » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:57 pm

My groups averages five years experience, and most are used to the intensity of Living Greyhawk and other Living campaigns. That said, although I am prepared for my group to approach things tactically, however having never run a combat it is guesswork and I'm more than ready to adjust things on the fly.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah, about 23 years roleplaying experience here, but I haven't played in any living campaigns so I've no idea what style of play most convention gamers go for.
Balgin Stondraeg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Batgirl III » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:55 am

Just to mix things up a bit, I thought it might be fun to have some fighting style talents focuses on specific styles of weapon, rather than simply how one is weilding them. Needless to say these have not been playtested and GM's ought to keep an eye on how they interact with the existing fighing styles. I recommend that GMs not allow them to be combined.

BARUK KHAZÂD STYLE
Classes: Warrior.
Requirement: You must be a dwarf with Strength 2 or higher or a human or elf with Strength 3 or higher, and be trained in the Axes Group.

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu! "Axes of Dwarves! The Dwarves are Upon You!" are the last words ever heard by many enemies of the dwarven people. You have studied the traditional dwarven fighting style and are deadly with melee weapons from the axe group.

Novice: Fighting with a "slow" weapon such as an axe demands increased awareness of one's opponent. If you take the activate action, you gain a +1 Defense bonus until the end of the encounter while fighting in this style.

Journeyman: You can strike fearsome blows with your weapon. You can perform the Pierce Armor stunt for 1 SP instead of the usual 2 SP when wielding a weapon that belongs to the Axe Group.

MAUL OF THE TITANS STYLE
Requirement: You must have Strength 2 or higher, be trained in the Bludgeons Group, and have the Strength (Bludgeons) focus.

You can fight with brutal effectivness when weilding the massive weapons of the Bludgeons Group.

Novice: The weight of your weapon and the power of your attacks forces foes to yield ground. When you hit with a melee attack with a weapon that belongs to the Bludgeons Group, you can move the target 2 yards in any direction.

Journeyman: Your blows can lay low the toughest opponents. You can perform the Knock Prone stunt for 1 SP instead of the usual 2 when attacking with that belongs to the Bludgeons Group.

HONORABLE SWORD STYLE
Classes: Rogue and Warrior.
Requirement: You must have Perception 2 or higher, be trained in the Heavy Blades Group, and have the Strength (Heavy Blades) focus.

The Honorable Sword Style teaches its practicioners to study and predict their opponent's movements in battle, as well as how to perform many powerful sword techniques. Masters of the style are said to be able to drawn a sheathed weapon and eliminate an opponent with a single sword stroke, before anyone else has have time to react.

Novice: Practicioners of the heavy blade style learn to predict their opponent's movements. If you take the activate action, you gain a +1 Initiative bonus when fighting with a weapon that belongs to the Heavy Blades Group and not weilding any other weapon or using a sheild.

Journeyman: You and your blade move as one. You can perform the Seize the Initiative stunt for 3 SP instead of the usual 4 when attacking with a weapon that belongs to the Heavy Blades Group and not weilding any other weapon or using a sheild.

LEAF ON THE WIND STYLE
Classes: Rogue and Warrior.
Requirement: You must be an elf with Dexterity 2 or higher, and be trained in the Light Blades Group, or a human or dwarf with Dexterity 2 or higher, trained in the Axes Group, and with Dexterity (Light Blades) focus.

You practice the ancient elvish fighting style where a light weapon in each hand can be as deadly as the most massive blade in the hands of someone less skilled as you dance among your enemies.

Novice: Your swiftness of foot and nimble blades can aid you in attack or defense. If you take the activate action, you can gain either a +1 bonus on your melee attack rolls or a +1 Defense bonus against melee attacks until the end of the encounter. You must be weilding two weapons that belong to the Light Blades group. You can switch the bonus you are taking with another activate action.

Journeyman: Dancing like a leaf on the autumn wind, you make your opponent a part of your dance. Unlike the leaves only one of you will fall. When you perform the Skirmish stunt, you can move yourself and the target of your attack 2 yards in any direction for each 1 SP you spend.

GUARDIAN SPEAR STYLE
Requirement: You must have Strength 1 or higher, Dexterity 1 or higher, and be trained in the Spears group.

Novice: The length of your weapon and the skill of your attacks allows you to better hold your ground. When you make a melee attack you may target enemies up to 2 yards away not just those adjacent to you.

Journeyman: You can create a hurricane of biting steel with your weapon, defying all attempts to close you with. If you take the activate action, you gain a +2 Defense bonus until the end of the encounter while fighting in this style.

HUMBLE STAFF STYLE
Classes: Mage or Rogue.
Requirement: You must have Perception 2 or higher, and be trained in the Staves Group.

Novice: When weilding a quarterstaff and no other weapon or shield, the length of your humble weapon and your skill with it can aid you in attack or defense. If you take the activate action, you can gain either a +1 bonus on your melee attack rolls or a +1 Defense bonus against melee attacks until the end of the encounter. You can switch the bonus you are taking with another activate action.

Journeyman: Your defenses defy all enemies. You can perform the Defensive Stance stunt for 1 SP instead of the usual 2 SP when wielding a quarterstaff and no other weapon or shield.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Maliki » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:18 am

Batgirl III wrote:At Basilisk Fort will be how I kick off my first campaign, and is the first time I've ever shared an adventure I wrote with the public... Normally, I just run from a few pages of notes. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing, looks like a good way to kick off a campaign.
Maliki
Booster
Booster

PreviousNext

Return to Dragon Age RPG