Did the Dalish Curse confuse demons with darkspawns?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Did the Dalish Curse confuse demons with darkspawns?

Postby extrakun » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:18 am

Looking at the Dalish Curse, I see the Bloodcrows are given the label of 'Hunger Darkspawn'. That there is Hunger demons I know, but does Darkspawns take on the titles of rage (like Mythallen), hunger, pride and etc.?
extrakun
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batgirl III » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:49 am

Yes, although such designations are pretty much used only by very rare scholars.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby DangerAbe » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:30 am

Yes. That reallly annoyed me. Also Mythal isn't the elven god of vengenance. Elgar'nan is!
At least according to the Dragon Age wikipedia:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Elven_Pantheon
DangerAbe
Bystander
Bystander

Postby discuit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:37 am

Hmm, weird i thought that Bioware had looked over all the books before they were released to ensure stuff liek this didnt happen. ? :oops:
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby NathanGPLC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:24 am

Well, if it's on the level of errata/a typo/poorly chosen wording, add it to the errata thread; they may still be able to fix that before printing (dunno, but maybe)!

Blessed be,
~Nathan
NathanGPLC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Saisei » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:29 am

Well I'm fairly sure in the game anything that has been tainted by the Blight is sometimes referred to as darkspawn. But I agree, this both confused and bugged me.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aldaris » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:37 am

Yes, but the blight has nothing to do with this.
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Fishoutofwater1985 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:53 am

DangerAbe wrote:Yes. That reallly annoyed me. Also Mythal isn't the elven god of vengenance. Elgar'nan is!
I read that in the Codex, too! But the shield you can find called "Mythal's Blessing" has a description that says "The symbol of Mythal, God of Vengeance, is eerily vivid on the face of this shield." So not even Bioware knows who the god of vengeance really is. :green:
Fishoutofwater1985
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NathanGPLC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:09 am

That's another good point---a video game like Dragon Age has a big team behind it. Writers and editors may not only have different ideas, but even if they theoretically agree on the details, they might have trouble remembering/spotting them all themselves, let along in another related product.

Blessed be,
~Nathan
NathanGPLC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batgirl III » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:09 am

The elven god's most likely have overlapping spheres of influence. Athena and Ares, for example, were both Greco-Roman gods of war.

SPOILER WARNING

"Darkspawn" also seems to be a catchall term for anythign evil and nasty, not just broodmother-spawned hurlocks (human), genlocks (dwarf), ogres (qunari), and sheirks (elves). For example, blight wolves are classified as "darkspawn," despite being 'merely' tainted wolves.

The broodmother-spawned "true" darkspawn are demonic souls born into souless living bodies created by the broodmothers. The second type of darkspawn are tainted natural creatures (e.g. blight wolves). Strictly speaking, a demon that posseses the body of a living host is an "abomination," and one that posses the body of a dead host is some form of "undead," demons that enter Thedas without a body are "shades."

Although some magi and templars may care about the subtle differences between a rage demon-possessed foe and a sloth demon-possessed foe, to the vast majority of Thedas they are evil, foul, monsters. Demon, darkspawn, undead... proper taxonomy isn't a concern when it is attempting to chew your face off.

They're all darkspawn.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Saisei » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 am

Maybe ones the God of Vengeance and the other is the god of Revengeance!

No?

.. Fine... *slinks away*
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aldaris » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 am

Uh... where did you get all that info on Darkspawn? Is that in the codex? Because I wasn't aware that there was this much info on Darkspawn.
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby discuit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 am

The game, the codex, 2 novels and the wiki is where i have garnered most of my info, and Batgirl speaks the truth. ;)
discuit
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Batgirl III » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:02 am

I recently transcribed almost the entirity of the in-game Codex into a PDF for player handouts. I left some entries out of it on purpose, as I felt thay would ruin potential surprises for players. The Broodmother [Entry #7] which is received upon your first encounter with it in the Dead Trenches portion of "A Paragon of Her Kind" was exactly the sort of thing I wanted to keep up my sleeve...

The rest is gleaned from other codex entires, general assumptions beased on the rest of the world, and good old fashioned appreciation for fantastic worlds.
Batgirl III
Cohort
Cohort

Postby chameleonshin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Batgirl III wrote:The elven god's most likely have overlapping spheres of influence. Athena and Ares, for example, were both Greco-Roman gods of war.

I agree with this insofar as "solving" the Mythallen problem. according to that wiki, Mythal is a patron of justice, and sometimes revenge IS justice.
chameleonshin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aldaris » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:37 am

Especially as far as Mythallen is concerned.
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Dragon Age RPG