Characters in Dragon Age

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Characters in Dragon Age

Postby Caomgen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:49 pm

So, I understand that the setting in dragon age is supposed to be dark (whatever that means), but how many people see the darkness as a reason to play heroic characters that truly stand out?

Not heroic in the abilities sense, of course, heroic in the sense that they're decent people, trying to do the right thing and make a stand for good even in a world where such behavior is strange.

That's how I generally make all of my characters, what about ya'll?
Caomgen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby psychodrive » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Personally, I prefer characters that are a little more morally grey.

The monk that distributes money to all equally and without judgement; that sort of thing.
psychodrive
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Maliki » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:07 pm

IMC I prefer heroes over adventures, and in a "darK" setting heroic characters really have a chance to shine.
Maliki
Booster
Booster

Postby Gairten » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:52 pm

I'm a big fan of morally gray, also known as vaguely realistic. Very few people are 100% good or 100% evil, and playing one (or GMing for one) in an RPG, for me, would be insanely boring.

I think this setting and the rules support somewhat normal people put in extraordinary situations and rising, however clumsily, to the occasion. I find that far more interesting. To me, the "dark" setting is what allows those challenging situations to be nuanced and not have the happy easy answer all the time.
Gairten
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Caomgen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:27 pm

Well, yeah, nothing's more fun to roleplay than a good guy who has to make a choice between two options that aren't really that great.

Gairten wrote:I think this setting and the rules support somewhat normal people put in extraordinary situations and rising, however clumsily, to the occasion.

This. I just like it better whenever the end result is "good guy".
Caomgen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:31 pm

My opinion is that 'grey' characters are often just an excuse to 'do as I lease' Not saying that is always the case, but too often.

'heroic do gooders' in a 'dark' setting is my favorite.

'evil' charcters usually ruin the game eventually.

Just my opinion.
Bill
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby angel_lord » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:17 pm

I usually like characters with good intentions, but campaigns where the moral choices are not always cut and dry. If the decision isn't hard to make, then it has less impact on the character's development imo.

By the same token, I have played in a few black and white, good versus evil campaigns, and they can be fun for a season.
angel_lord
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Gairten » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:22 pm

angel_lord wrote:I usually like characters with good intentions, but campaigns where the moral choices are not always cut and dry. If the decision isn't hard to make, then it has less impact on the character's development imo.

By the same token, I have played in a few black and white, good versus evil campaigns, and they can be fun for a season.

My thoughts exactly, well said. I also agree with Bill's point. Hopefully everyone's character has enough of a background and personality to account for the decisions they make and not just playing a gray character so that they can get away with constantly doing evil things. If that's the case, they should just be hunted down and dealt with in-game for their actions.
Gairten
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG