tzeentch's curse

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

tzeentch's curse

Postby JRR » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:33 am

Anyone have an idea on how to convert tzeentch's curse to DA? DA seems to have a flavor similar to the Warhammer world, and I'd dearly like to use tzeentch's curse with DA.
JRR
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aldaris » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:55 am

I guess Tzeentchs curse is a Warhammer adventure module? I don't know the adventure as such, but if the name is any indication, the lack of the Chaos Gods in the DA setting might be a bit of a problem. Just including them wouldn't work very well, they're the major, world threatening evil of the Warhammer world. The major, world threatening evil of the DA world are the Darkspawn and the Archdemons. You can't have them both in my opinion without trivializing either.

But perhaps you could provide a brief summary so we'd know what we have to work with?
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby lordmalachdrim » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:36 pm

When casting spells in Warhammer if roll doubles you roll on a table of unintneded effects. (from curdled milk to a portal opening up and a deamon taking your soul)
lordmalachdrim
Bystander
Bystander

Re: tzeentch's curse

Postby YourSwordisMine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:51 pm

JRR wrote:Anyone have an idea on how to convert tzeentch's curse to DA? DA seems to have a flavor similar to the Warhammer world, and I'd dearly like to use tzeentch's curse with DA.

I dont think Tzeentch's curse would work well with DARPG as it is. At least not with the same mechanics that WHFRP2e uses. Rolled doubles in DARPG give you stunt points to buy to give you neat spell effects. You could always change that out for Tzeentchs curse but I think you would lose a lot of the neatness factor that is inherent to the system.

Now, in later sets they will be releasing rules for Corruption that all mages must fend off as they draw upon stronger magics. This might work better once these rules are released. As it stands though, the spells in Set 1 are very basic and I wouldnt penalize casters for casting them.
YourSwordisMine
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Aldaris » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Aaaaah! THAT curse of the scheming, feathered and interfering little bugger.

Hm. I imagine that there could be some chance in the DA world to inadvertedly tear the veil when casting a spell, although a lesser one than in the Warhammer world. The adaption as such should be easy. Make rolling a triple the triggering factor. Then go over the table of effects and adapt what needs to be adapted for rules, flavor and world plausibility. Done.
Aldaris
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: tzeentch's curse

Postby JRR » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:55 pm

YourSwordisMine wrote:
JRR wrote:Anyone have an idea on how to convert tzeentch's curse to DA? DA seems to have a flavor similar to the Warhammer world, and I'd dearly like to use tzeentch's curse with DA.

I dont think Tzeentch's curse would work well with DARPG as it is. At least not with the same mechanics that WHFRP2e uses.
Right, you'd have to use a different mechanic. I don't want to change the DA system, I'd just like to meld tzeentch's curse in as seamlessly as possible without affecting the stunt system. Maybe adding yet another die to the roll, this die only applies to tzeentch's curse. But a 1 in 6 chance is a bit harsh, plus there'd be no option for a major chaos manifestation.
JRR
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:59 am

Tzeentch is the Warhammer Chaos God of Magic. "Tzeentch's Curse" in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition) is how that game implements the risks of (arcane) spellcasting - there are no mana or fatigue points in WFRP, so Tzeentch's Curse is what's supposed to hold a wizard back from solving every problem by casting magic at it.

In summary, it manifests as a small risk of every spellcasting that something bad, strange or spooky happens (regardless of whether the spell succeeds or not). This could affect the spellcaster directly, but its most important impact is indirect - these curse effects can reveal a character as being a spellcaster, and if clearly supernatural effects are happening... well, in the Warhammer world superstitious and uneducated peasants and rabble are known to take matters in their own hands, by hunting down and burning "witches" and "chaos sorcerers".

Now, Dragon Age appears to be more open about magic, so this aspect of Tzeentch Curse is probably not wholly appropriate for this game. Instead, it seems to be more a matter of corruption - somewhat like how you get nasty side-effects from casting dark magic in WFRP or how your Corruption score in Dark Heresy increases with exposure to the Warp. Mental breakdown and physical mutation, in other words.

I'm sure this is something we will learn more about in coming box sets. In the meanwhile...

Because Dragon Age generally wants you to roll doubles, I'd use a different triggering mechanic for curse/corruption effects.

Perhaps if you roll a series? Like 1, 2, 3 or 3, 4, 5...? The Dragon Die would still be the important one, indicating the severity of the curse/corruption effect:

Dragon Die shows '1' (a roll of 321): ...
Dragon Die shows '2' (a roll of 432): ...
Dragon Die shows '3' (a roll of 123 or 543): ...
Dragon Die shows '4' (a roll of 234 or 654): ...
Dragon Die shows '5' (a roll of 345): ...
Dragon Die shows '6' (a roll of 456): ...

Fill in Catastrophic Manifestations or Profane Corruption as you please :)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Return to Dragon Age RPG