Dragon Age Box Set 3

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dragon Age Box Set 3

Postby Zaki » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:12 am

I've been away from Dragon Age RPG for 1 year and came back to see that box set 3 still hasn't been released. Any news on when it will be released?
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Dragon Age Box Set 3

Postby Lynata » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 am

It is currently in open playtest. No final release date has been announced yet.
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Zaki » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 am

Nice! So it probably coming out this year?
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Lynata » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 am

That's what people around here seem to expect, at least. This "beta" has been out since February ... so, yeah. :)

I think general expectation was centered on sometime around this year's Summer, iirc?
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Zapp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:35 am

Remember Dragon Age is a licensed property.

Everything could be prepared and done for and still there could be a year-long delay, simply because the licensor not giving the go-ahead (for any of a host of unrelated reasons).
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby kronovan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 am

Something else worth considering; the Dragon Age box set 2 playtest concluded months earlier in the year than this one and the final box set wasn't out until summer - late summer in my area. I won't be surprised if boxset 3 isn't out until mid -to- late Fall.
kronovan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Scott McFarland » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 am

Indeed, I suspect Set 3 will be an Xmas release.

Bioware are preoccupied with Dragon Age 3 at the moment so signing off RPG material will get a lower priority.
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby shonuff » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Scott McFarland wrote:Indeed, I suspect Set 3 will be an Xmas release.

Bioware are preoccupied with Dragon Age 3 at the moment so signing off RPG material will get a lower priority.

Maybe not. AFAIK, DA3 doesn't even have a project release date (or season). It could depend on whether the QC people at Bioware have other responsibilities.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Elfie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 pm

DA3 probably hasn't even been started yet. BioWare has said they're actively soliciting opinions from fans at conventions as to where they'd like to see DA go next. They seem to have NO idea what they're doing with the property next.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Tiger's Heart » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:06 pm

I think this clearly indicates Bioware have some ideas.
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/10/biow ... -pax-east/

Some of which were elaborated on by David Gaider here http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/13/dacustomization/

David Gaider has also made some definite world directions in Asunder.

So there are quite a few hints, but back on to the original topic - Box set 3 will arrive when it does, until then I am sure there will be plenty of lively discussion on this board. :P

Think happy thoughts and the wait won't seem so long. :D

Tiger's Heart
Beware what lies beneath, The Tiger's Heart in the Woman's Hide; The Iron Fist in the Velvet Glove.

Completed Esoterica from Thedas Volumes 1 to 3
Tiger's Heart
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Disemvowel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:09 am

Tiger's Heart wrote:David Gaider has also made some definite world directions in Asunder.

Tiger's Heart

Yes he did...holy hell, it can change campaigns entirely.
На войне, победе. В мире, бдительность. В смерти, предлагая
Disemvowel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Scott McFarland » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Asunder made some big changes indeed, and the revelations at PAX and cancellation of further DA2 work strongly suggest that DA3 is in progress.

I'd say they'll announce it officially at E3 in June.
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby exef » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Now that set 3 is on the testing phase. What about the chances of getting the 3 sets in a pack. Or better yet, What about the compilation of the three books into one (players and masters, of course)
exef
Bystander
Bystander

Postby si1vergecko » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Personally I don't think they will announce anything close to a compilation of all of the sets in one book at all until the 3rd set is released. I seem to recall at some point that GR stated that were would look into it down the line but I don't think they want to hurt sales to the three sets by announcing anything like that at the moment.

As for getting all three in a pack, I have no idea.
si1vergecko
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zapp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:37 am

You can count on that any possible one-book DA compilation will not be (officially) discussed before the sales of box set 3 have come and gone. Why would you buy the box sets if you knew you could get a more traditional rpg tome (with all the convenience of not having stuff scattered in three places)...
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

Set 3's gonna be great and all I'm sure of that, but I would like to get another side book. Something like a bestiary or a book detailing Tevinter, Antiva, and the like.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby skywalker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Guardian of the Peak wrote:Set 3's gonna be great and all I'm sure of that, but I would like to get another side book. Something like a bestiary or a book detailing Tevinter, Antiva, and the like.

A Bestiary and an Adventure Compilation for Sets 2 and 3 would be great. I get the feeling Set 3 will cover Tevinter, Orlesia and other lands in the Players Book given the mechanical options in the playtest document.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 am

skywalker wrote:A Bestiary and an Adventure Compilation for Sets 2 and 3 would be great. I get the feeling Set 3 will cover Tevinter, Orlesia and other lands in the Players Book given the mechanical options in the playtest document.

Oh I'm sure they will. I'm looking for somewhere else to take my players anyway. Ferelden's great and all but I need to know more details about Orlais and the other nations before they head there. Besides I need to know more about them so I can find out how to factor in the minor changes I've already made for my campaign.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bardwulf » Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 am

It's put me in a dilema, this slow release schedule.

I like many of you don't mind coming up with original material to fill tier 2 in with, but once they get round to bringing it out, if my party is too high, it'll be a pain having to alter every little thing up in scope - and you'll always have a wavering sense of not quite balanced to concern yourself about. I would rather run it for them when appropriately at the tier 2 levels for it.
That of course means slowing down my DA campaign and making it an insert only affair, so that one of the other players in our group can run something else additionally (at the moment that is Dark Heresy Warhammer 40k).

Rather than a wait this long, I would have preferred 4 blimmin' box sets over the stated 3, because of the above concerns.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby shonuff » Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 am

In regards to the slow release schedule, it would be less of a problem if DA had a feel of being a complete game system before any of it was released. Instead, you get immediate fixes like the abilities advancement that obviously don't work at later levels.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Bardwulf » Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 am

Have any of you ever tried getting contact with Green Ronin? I've done so twice in my time and they never got back to me...

I took a look into contacting Bioware to tell them to hurry up but you always end up being forced into pre-set topics that are about the computer games only - that's because it all comes from EA's ownership of them now, who let's face it are a satanic force on gaming and doing us no good whatsoever.

HOWEVER - I managed to fin Bioware's twitter page!

https://twitter.com/#!/bioware

So you could do what I did and ask them to hurry up with approving the Deep Roads for Green Ronin! We want set 2 modules before set 3 release and we want it now!
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby shonuff » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 am

I don't think they're being slow on purpose. :)
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby 5trangeCase » Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 am

shonuff wrote:I don't think they're being slow on purpose. :)

Unless you define "on purpose" as they could be going faster. Which I'm certain that they coudld.
5trangeCase
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Loswaith » Wed May 09, 2012 3:31 pm

I'd say that the RPG bearly rates as a blip on the Bioware radar, so is not of any great importantce to them. This is unfortunate for GR, which we can expect would want a faster turn around on approvals much like the rest of us.

Unfortunatly its well likely that the set 3 wont be seen (in full) until DA 3 is shipping, though I'm only guessing on that based on the experience with set 2.
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby seppun1 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Concerning Set 3's release, who actually gives the go/no go on Green Ronin's material? Sorry, I never paid attention to such things. If Bioware was really on top of their game, they would have something from the rpg releasing to go along with the Dawn of the Seekers movie. :)

Maybe it won't take as long as DA3 comes out. It's not like it has to be cleared with the programmers. :D I'm sure they just want to make sure what GR is putting out goes with their definition of the DA universe. That or making sure that they don't release any secrets or information that is important to the future games.

Plus, Bioware isn't Lucasarts. They probably don't have a giant division that they can pass it through quickly. :)
seppun1
Bystander
Bystander

Next

Return to Dragon Age RPG