New video series

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

New video series

Postby Disemvowel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 am

There is a new video series coming online piecemeal, but they are well done and show off the Dragon Age game very well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertJFreemantle/featured

The owner said he had issues trying to register on these forums, so I am hooking him up. These are all well worth the watch and I wish there were more groups doing actual play podcasts/videos or even just talking about Dragon Age in the same manner. These guys are heroes.
На войне, победе. В мире, бдительность. В смерти, предлагая
Disemvowel
Groupie
Groupie

Re: New video series

Postby shonuff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:26 am

Checked out a little bit. It might be a good video to show people who are new to RPGs.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Bardwulf » Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 am

Disemvowel wrote:There is a new video series coming online piecemeal, but they are well done and show off the Dragon Age game very well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertJFreemantle/featured

The owner said he had issues trying to register on these forums, so I am hooking him up. These are all well worth the watch and I wish there were more groups doing actual play podcasts/videos or even just talking about Dragon Age in the same manner. These guys are heroes.

It has taken a very long time, but this forum has finally allowed me to join up! Hurrah! The OP is a viewer who kindly took it upon himself to post a link to me on here.

What I will say as an update on this, is that I have now a playlist of 37 (and counting) Dragon Age related videos on there! I'm championing this game to the world with the medium of video.
Playlist link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

I've covered all sorts now. 1 to 1 prequel solo stuff to build character history, how to roll a character, product unboxing, class description videos, how to play the game, pre campaign thoughts, actual campaign recap vidcasts and even some captured live play sessions!

Thanks to any who tune into this series and please get behind it, as the more this gets out there, the more Dragon Age will be bought and the more popular (hence supported) it will surely become.
I know for a fact that it has done some good already, as I've had viewers write to me telling me the videos inspired them to purchase DA RPG.

See you at the table!
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lynata » Fri May 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Looking good! I shall investigate this in more detail - and likely abuse it as promotional material for certain colleagues and acquaintances of mine. :P

+1 for your efforts at spreading the word!
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Sat May 05, 2012 1:17 pm

His/Bardwulf's ideas of taking low fantasy and adding something to it reminds me of a few things I've done in my campaign. Some would say I've done a bit too much but in the end I've gotten nothing but good responses from my players, each of whom is a fan of the video games, so it can't be that bad.

Keep up the good work with your vids Bard!
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rschweik » Wed May 16, 2012 8:31 pm

oy, BARDWOLF

I just mentioned your stuff on this forum like 3 min before i read this thread! I noticed some odd picture blocking on your videos. Is your camera broken?

In another thread, streamlining the Dalish Curse, i asked others what you meant by...
When the players are told of the "Warden" of Vintiver, Tarl Dale, the players ask if he is a retired Grey Warden. Now, this always bothered me when I read the Dalish Curse adventure, knowing that Grey Wardens go into the Deep Roads to die.
So I ask, what the frell does the title of "Warden" mean within Ferelden?

haha, yeah i understand one of your players is camera shy. It's a shame b/c my vision goes right to it. I hope i don't get a seizure from that. I am trying just to listen to it, but since its a bloody video, i want to watch it too. And I am also learning to understand your friend's accent, who sounds like the old man, PC something-or-other, from Hot Fuzz (film) always with the explanations of the sex jokes, and your friend is pretty funny as well. That Avvar is pretty sneaky, too (played by guy with glasses-can't remember name).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
rschweik
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Kalias » Wed May 16, 2012 9:43 pm

rschweik,

I think that when they say Tarl is a "Warden" they mean it in a more usual sense of the word, ie a sheriff or a guardian.

I agree with you though, when I first read The Dalish Curse I found it confusing too. They could have just called him the village Sheriff and made things much simpler.
Kalias
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bardwulf » Wed May 16, 2012 11:58 pm

rschweik wrote:oy, BARDWOLF

I just mentioned your stuff on this forum like 3 min before i read this thread! I noticed some odd picture blocking on your videos. Is your camera broken?

Not as far as I'm aware, unless you mean Lory's face, that kinda gets in the way and blocks vision :P
Here's a link to my latest DA video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUw86v7O ... plpp_video
which worked fine for me. Not sure why you are having error. Maybe your flash player.
If it is green in colour, that happens to me when I have too many YT vids open at once.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Bardwulf » Thu May 17, 2012 12:02 am

Yeah the word warden I took to mean an old overseer role, police of the village so to speak. The word grey wasn't there so I didn't worry about it.

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Elfie » Thu May 17, 2012 6:00 am

Yeah I changed the word to sheriff in my game, particularly because that tern is also used in Amber Rage.
Last edited by Elfie on Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Warden

Postby rschweik » Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 am

if Warden equates more to sheriff, what do you think the hierarchy of ferelden would be?

Example in Amber Rage: Bann Karel Dusic > Ser Gelda, a blackhaller (a royally appointed arbiter) > Ser Vilem, Fort Knight Commander > Sheriff/Warden Milo Kovic (very Russian sounding) > old Stoyanka (apostate, also Russian sounding) > Bogdan the blacksmith > other freemen
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
rschweik
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Bardwulf » Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am

And here is something on my mind from this. If the Blackhaller is the arbiter, what about Seekers, as seen in DAO2. The one doing interrogation. Which has highest authority, as they are chantry appointed aren't they?

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Kalias » Thu May 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm not sure about the Blackhaller, but the different groups that make up the Chantry have a fairly well established hierarchy. (Pretty much all of this is taken from DA2, the wiki and the Asunder novel)

The Chantry is made up of 4 different groups:
The priests and priestesses (what most people mean when they refer to the chantry)
The Circle of Magi
The Templars
The Seekers of Truth

The priests and priestesses spread the faith to the all the citizens of Thedas. All of the other groups that make up the chantry ultimately defer to them (or at least to the Divine).
Their established ranks are (in ascending order):
Lay Sister/Lay Brother - essentially the initiates of the faith (e.g. Leliana is one of these when she is first encountered in Origins).
Sister/Brother - a slightly more senior rank for more dedicated members.
Mother - A more senior rank for older more experienced priestesses.
Revered Mother - Typically the most senior rank one holds at a Chantry. They will preside over an individual chantry and the people who serve there (e.g. the Revered Mother in Lothering who you must convince to release Sten).
Grand Cleric - A very senior priestesses, who presides over an entire country, and acts as the revered mother for the chief chantry in said country (e.g. Grand Cleric Elthina in DA2).
The Divine - Grand Cleric of Orlais, and head of the Andrastian Chantry, she has ultimate authority over all religious decisions and is one of the most influential people in Thedas.

The Circle of Magi is the lowest ranked of the four groups. They deal with the training and control of Mages, and are typically associated with the Templars.
Apprentice - Someone who has been brought to the tower to learn how to control their power (Mage Warden starts out as one of these).
Tranquil - any apprentice who is deemed unsafe to partake in the Harrowing, their connection to the fade has been severed, rendering them both powerless and emotionless, used as administrators by the mages and Templars.
Mage - The rank earned by an apprentice upon passing their Harrowing.
Enchanter - A more senior mage, who teaches the apprentices how to control their magic.
Senior Enchanter - The most experienced mages within their circles, they aid in the running of the tower its affairs (e.g. Wynne is one of these in Origins).
First Enchanter - The head of the mages in any given circle, elected from the senior enchanters (e.g. Irving in Origins).
Grand Enchanter - The head of the college of Magi. They are essentially the chief mage of the Andrastian Chantry and the mages representative to the Divine (e.g. Fiona in the novel Asunder).

The Templars are the warrior arm of the Chantry. They are charged with watching over the mages, protecting the citizens of Thedas from magic, and protecting the mages from their own power. They are regarded as heroes by most of the common folk, protecting them from evil demons and dangerous mages.
Templar - Any knight who has joined the order.
Knight-Corporal - A more experienced knight who might oversee a small group whilst in the field.
Knight-Lieutenant - A more senior knight who may command a larger number of Templars.
Knight-Captain - A senior knight, who serves directly under the knight-commander, carrying out their orders. (E.g. Cullen in DA2)
Knight-Commander - The head of the Templars in any given area, usually at a circle tower (E.g. Meredith in DA2)
Knight-Vigilant - The Knight-Commander at the White Spire in Val-Royeaux, and effectively the head of the entire order.
Knight-Divine - A member of an elite group of knights who serve the Divine directly, making up most of the rules followed by members of the order (Please note, I'm not 100% certain about the last 2 ranks, but from what I can find, these are their roles).

The Seekers of Truth are a secretive order within the Chantry. Little is known about them, and they serve directly under the Divine herself. They tend to investigate what went wrong whenever the Templars have failed, and may also carry out any duty considered too large or too important for the Templars. Because of the nature of their duty, the Templars typically dislike and mistrust the Seekers.
Seeker - Any member of the order who carries out the will of the Divine (E.g. Cassandra in DA2)
Lord Seeker - A senior member of the order who commands other seekers. Whether they are the head of the order, or if there are other, more senior ranks, is unknown. (E.g. Lambert in Asunder)

There is a character in Dawn of the Seeker called High Seeker Aldren, though what exactly his rank means is unknown. He could either be more, or less senior, than a Lord Seeker.
Kalias
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bardwulf » Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for that great information! Very kind of you to go to the effort.

Have you guys played A Bann Too Many yet? We just have. My new video was the first half of running it recapped as usual. The session 8 video will be the concluding part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQPJtN8 ... plpp_video

That's the link if anyone is interested in seeing what happened, explained.

Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Return to Dragon Age RPG