So what did you play before - and bring in to DA?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

So what did you play before - and bring in to DA?

Postby Tiger's Heart » Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 pm

I noticed a few people comment in the Dawn of the Seeker Thread about their previous games and the surprise that there were some similarities. So rather than hijacking that thread, I thought I'd start a specific one here.

In reality as gamers we have probably all played a number of systems, but I thought it would be interesting to see just how much we all had in common... if anyone else is game :D

My two previous longest running campaigns were WFRP 2nd ed and Dark Heresy (which started with playtesting for Black Industries); both of these I was a player with Hellebore as my GM (for DA its my turn to GM).

I have previously run several Robotech games, and played Cyberpunk, D&D (AD&D), Supernatural and other cortex games as well as brief experiments with other games including Gamma World.

From WFRP I brought a love of the mundane and gritty to DA; Heros are NPC's - it's the deeds of ordinary people that make a story epic, and create legends... maybe. :) Oh and there will always be a wooden cutlery set to be found if you look hard enough :lol:

From Dark Heresy the concepts of corruption and insanity (also in WFRP) which add another dimension, especially when DA lends itself so well to these ideas. an Apostate who really wants to learn blood magic will be open to influence from a sexy demon offering his heart's desire >:)

I am interested to know who else has similar background, or what different paths you have trodden on your journey to Dragon Age.
Beware what lies beneath, The Tiger's Heart in the Woman's Hide; The Iron Fist in the Velvet Glove.

Completed Esoterica from Thedas Volumes 1 to 3
Tiger's Heart
Cohort
Cohort

Re: So what did you play before - and bring in to DA?

Postby Andferne » Fri May 18, 2012 10:26 pm

A little over a decade ago I started off with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. That lovely grey box. From there I went to D&d 3rd edition to 3.5 and even 4.0 for a short duration. Besides these I have also run two Star Wars systems both based off the d20 stuff. As well as doing the d20 Modern game for a while. Besides all of those I have toyed with one d10 system based off Buffy the vampire slayer(Believe it is also referred to as the uni-system?).
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Woodclaw » Sat May 19, 2012 3:41 am

Honestly I don't know exactly what brought me to DA, over my 15 years of gaming (man I'm starting to feel old) I tried a ton of systems and settings so I can't really point out one or the other.
"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?"
[i]'Gentleman' John Marcone[/i]
Woodclaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bardwulf » Sat May 19, 2012 8:07 am

WFRP 2E then Dark Heresy. I was a player in both of those but I decided I wanted to GM a game and chose this because I fancied the mechanics system more than anything.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby shonuff » Sat May 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Mainly AD&D campaigns -- 2E and Skills & Powers mainly. Tried converting to 3E but it seemed like a step back, IMO. Also, some Serenity, Mechwarrior/Battletech, and some Buck Rogers.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I've played video games and board games for nearly 20 years now and I've had a lot of inspiration to bring me to DA. The main one of course being the actual video games of Dragon Age Origins and DA2, though I tend not to talk about the later of the two, but there have also been many other things that brought me to where I am today. I think the main thing that got me into tabletop and pen and paper RPGs was probably World of Darkness, a dark fantasy role-playing game based in the modern day where magic and mythological creatures like demons and werewolves exist. I remember really liking the systems and the way the game was played and decided after a couple of years to purchase my own RPG and get my friends involved, and that's where Dragon Age came in. I haven't added much to my campaign that was inspired by WoD but I have been adding my own personal flair to the story, setting, and world. So far I haven't gotten a single bad word from any of my players, so I must be doing something right.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Loswaith » Sun May 20, 2012 8:08 pm

I cut my PRG teeth (so to speak) on the Original D&D basic set (the 1983 edition). Having played many systems since then.

Though Dragon Age: Oragins and an interest in gaming systems is what got me to notice Dragon Age RPG. Being made by green ronin (having enjoyed a few of their games before) made me look into it further, and it not being d20 sealed me in getting it.

While our group plays many game systems, WFRP 2nd ed tends to be our fantasy system of choice (for the lower fantasy games), so we tried out DA:RPG and play it for a slightly bit more heroic games, as opposed to the high heroic fantasy games like Arcana Unearthed, Castles and Crusades or Earthdawn offer.
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby 5trangeCase » Tue May 22, 2012 3:03 am

Longest campaign was AD&D...I think. We've been playing one-off Call of Cthulhu scenarios - with the same characters, minus death and insanity of course - every now and then for quite some time so I'm not sure whether that's added up to longer than the AD&D.

We've tried D&D 3.5 as well...VERY briefly WoD, one player was planning to GM a campaign but he is the laziest so-and-so ever and never got around to it...

The funny thing is, our regular GM is 20 years older than we are (and has been RPing an equal amount of time) and we started when we were teenagers, and apparently he prefers some fantasy systems that we've never played to AD&D but he thought that would be a "simple system" for us to start of. No idea how he came to that conclusion.

But he isn't our GM for DARPG. The resident Dragon Age nut is. I think he's probably taken a lot from Call of Cthulhu. AD&D was really interesting (it was city-focused) but CoC (1920s) is just a lot of cheap, old-fashioned fun. Shockingly, it can be hilarious at times, mostly due to us basically creating comedic larger-than-life characters. A crazy Austrian inventor with replaced body parts was one and a fascist pigmy-hating Lord was another. We sometimes take it seriously.
5trangeCase
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zaki » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am

I started 10 years ago(When I was only 12 year old) playing a forgotten realms D&D 3rd game. We played that for a little while and switched to 3.5 Dragonlance game. After that I've played Werewolf(The Apocalypse), Vampire Dark Ages, Project Twilight, Mutants and Masterminds 1st edition, Werewolf(The Forsaken), Pathfinder. I had a break from RPG's for 2 year between 2006-2008

As a GM I started around the age of 14 with my own Dragonlance game(which ran for nearly two years), then when I returned to I had a Star Wars Saga Edition campaign(ran for a year or so) and now I am nearly finished with my Short Pathfinder campaign(4 months) after which I will start planning for my very own Dragon Age campaign.

What I like about Dragon Age RPG is the simplicity. As I GM you have alot of freedom to be creative. I like how it takes around 15 min to roll a character(game mechanic wise). Overall I like the system and The Dragon Age Setting(Thedas)
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knightwolf64 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 am

I started my fledgling roots when I was just 12 and have continue onwards until present age of 35. I started traditionaly with D&D 2nd ED. I whent into the military where I found a lot of gamers who played RIFT, GURPS, and World of Darkness. That was the second off shoot of gaming experience. It was until BESM or big eyes small mouth that I started to branch off and seek out other systems in which the choice of creating characters seemed appealing to me. I never lost love for D&D or the other systems. But with advent of online gaming and a trend setting in with video games and table top games coming head on. Dragon Age seemed destined for me to play it on the PS3 and the DARPG. Ihave found the stream line books refreshing compared to some books that have every conceivable physicist laws when it comes to dice mechanics known to modern science lol. I have seen many a game system popularity rise and fall I hope DARPG will not be one of them.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RenoGM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:59 pm

I've ran quite a few campaigns over the past 25+ years; D&D (Basic, Advanced, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), Shadowrun, Star Wars (d6), Warhammer (3rd), most of the old TSR box RPG's (Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Gang Busters, Gamma World), Alternity, Ghostbusters, Twilight 2000, Savage Worlds (Shaintar, Deadlands, Interface 0), Warhammer 40K RPG's (Dark Heresy, Deathwach, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade), Serenity, various FATE games, as well as half a dozen others that escape my memory.

No matter what I run I'm always drawn back to running a fantasy game. DA attracted my attention for its elegant system and it's "dark fantasy" feel. My fantasy games have always been on the dark side so DA was a natural fit. Mechanically I like the system a lot and unlike many other "rules light" or "simple" systems, DA doesn't feel simplistic or lacking nor does it feel as though I need to add rules to make it complete like some generic rule sets.

I'm currently preparing my next campaign. I had laid out the framework for a Ravenloft campaign a few years back but never got around to using it. Now I'm "resurfacing" the campaign for Dragon Age but keeping the gothic horror elements.
RenoGM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Knightwolf64 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 am

Intresting idea it could work. In DARPG undead are more like possessing the bodies. I love the idea of gothic horror and DA mixed.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RenoGM » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 am

One of the things I love about Dragon Age is the supernatural "origin" of the undead (insane demons possessing corpses), puts a whole new spin on the concept of the necromancer/diabolist!
RenoGM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kronovan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 am

Like many here, my 1st experience was with AD&D which I played and DM'd. I also played d6 Star Wars for a few years, before I took a long sabatical from PnP's due to family obligations. When I returned it was mostly modern and futuristic settings via D20 Modern. DAGE was my 1st Fantasy setting since AD&D, but since reopening that can I've also run Iron Dynasty and Beasts & Barbarians campaigns with the Savage Worlds sytem.
kronovan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby zanwot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 am

I feel like the odd one out...

Started young as a player with mostly Traveller but also some D&D. Played various since, I am keen on Sci Fi, but GM with 7th Sea and a bit Amber DRPG.

Got into DA because of my lack of classic fantasy games. I needed one with light rules and a bit of a gritty twist to start a new group with some beginners. No regrets!

I imported from 7th Sea a sort of drama points, although adapted and simplified. Generally speaking compared to many here Ifeel influenced by my free-form experience.
zanwot
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Dragon Age RPG