Cardboard Standups?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Re: Cardboard Standups?

Postby Arimmus » Tue May 22, 2012 6:28 am

Im pretty much doing the same thing, except I am using more of the top down type rather than the stand up type. Loving what you did here though with them.

Here are my Darkspawn so far

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/Spazthoma_2007/Ogre1.png
Last edited by Arimmus on Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arimmus Thoma

" I has a maptool framework coming along for DRAGON AGE! "
Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Elfie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:35 am

I'll just throw out that my group has started using the monster tokens from Betrayal at House on the Hill. There's a bunch of different tokens and they're all numbered which makes it really easy for me to keep track of hit points and status effects for individual creatures. It's also got some great boss tokens, and all the creature tokens can be flipped over to show that an enemy is down.

Even the player stand-up tokens could be used for PCs if they wanted, though we actually use DC Heroclix for our PCs. heheh To be fair, we're not sticklers for tokens accurately representing the enemies as long as it's clear that "zombie tokens are blood mages" and "Frankenstein's Monster is the Flesh Legion."

Also Betrayl is a great game and you should get it anyway :) I totally plan to use it as a mini-game for our campaign at some point by throwing the PCs into a haunted house.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby jgladeb » Tue May 22, 2012 7:13 am

Arimmus wrote:Im pretty much doing the same thing, except I am using more of the top down type rather than the stand up type. Loving what you did here though with them.

Here are my Darkspawn so far

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/Spazthoma_2007/Ogre1.png

Very cool!!! Top down certainly has it's advantages. I already had the plastic stands so I just ran with what I had. My players enjoy knocking them over when an enemy falls in combat. Haha
- It's always darkest before it goes pitch black...

My custom Dragon Age miniature related downloads: http://www.daddymonsterstudio.com/downloads.html
jgladeb
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Arimmus » Tue May 22, 2012 7:01 pm

That is an advantage to the stand ups. I wish i had a Cnc machine to create true dragon age minis.
Arimmus Thoma

" I has a maptool framework coming along for DRAGON AGE! "
Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Dustin » Tue May 22, 2012 7:33 pm

that is pretty coolio, Arimmus.
Dustin
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby shonuff » Tue May 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Elfie wrote:I'll just throw out that my group has started using the monster tokens from Betrayal at House on the Hill. There's a bunch of different tokens and they're all numbered which makes it really easy for me to keep track of hit points and status effects for individual creatures. It's also got some great boss tokens, and all the creature tokens can be flipped over to show that an enemy is down.

I've pretty much always used old Hero Quest figures, but seeing how much they are going on eBay, that might not have been the smartest plan... lol

Currently, I'm using the new D&D board games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizz't) figures. Good variety and good quality, and somewhat parable to DA. Decent games, too.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Omegawolf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 am

These are awesome. I wasn't going to use maps/minis for this game since it's not required, but after my first session I believe I will, especially after seeing these. I think my group is too used to a visual element (we played a lot of 3.X and 4e D&D, as well as original Mechwarrior/Battletech), but I was hesitant to use my D&D or Warhammer miniatures and tokens for Dragon Age. To me (and my group feels similarly) a game's 'flavor' when using miniatures should be unique. The miniatures (or stand ups) should have a specific look to them. So thank you to jgladeb for these, and when you have the chance and oppurtunity, please, more!

If you want ideas/suggestions/requests - specifically Shrieks, random elven (Dalish & City) and dwarven NPCs, as well as Circle Mages, Chantry priestesses (or priests for those that follow Tevinter's Black Divine), Orlesian NPCs, and maybe a male/female version of the specializations for each race that can take them...okay I know, a lot, but again they are just ideas/suggestions/requests. If you never make another one, that is perfectly fine too, the ones that you have made are just fine and will serve for a long time.
Omegawolf
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jgladeb » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 am

Omegawolf wrote:If you want ideas/suggestions/requests - specifically Shrieks, random elven (Dalish & City) and dwarven NPCs, as well as Circle Mages, Chantry priestesses (or priests for those that follow Tevinter's Black Divine), Orlesian NPCs, and maybe a male/female version of the specializations for each race that can take them...okay I know, a lot, but again they are just ideas/suggestions/requests. If you never make another one, that is perfectly fine too, the ones that you have made are just fine and will serve for a long time.

Thanks Omegawolf! I really have put a fair amount of time and effort into them. I put up some more today (cultists and Mother Brianna from the beginning of 'A Fragile Web' adventure in the 'Blood in Ferelden' adventure collection). I do plan on updating over time and adding more, but the process has slowed somewhat recently as I usually only add creatures and whatnot as I need them for my adventures. My group has had a hard time getting together recently, so that compounds the problem somewhat. Still, your suggestions are great, and I will certainly look at adding more and use your suggestions as ideas and a bit of a guide. Thanks again!

My custom Dragon Age miniature related downloads: http://www.daddymonsterstudio.com/downloads.html
jgladeb
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Omegawolf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Awesome, will download as soon as I finish this post, since I do have Blood in Fereldan, and I am planning on trying to run all the adventures in it (after Curse and Bann), so I am sure I will get use from them. Seriously, again, great work. I feel for you on your group having a hard time getting together, we have problems with that as well sometimes, but it usually passes, so here's to hoping that you have many more gaming sessions in your future!
Omegawolf
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jgladeb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Another quick update. Finally got around to gaming with my group and have uploaded a small variety of Tevinter Mages to the mix of encounter cards. One could use them for a PC as well. You can find them on the download page of my website.

jgladeb
Bystander
Bystander

Previous

Return to Dragon Age RPG