Varric PDF

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Varric PDF

Postby Elfie » Wed May 23, 2012 6:18 am

http://greenronin.com/2012/05/faces_of_thedas_varric_pdf.php

If your players liked Varric in DA2, this is a must-buy. It fills in a TON of background for him and his family. If you're not into Varric himself, it's still a pretty good buy. It's got some great suggestions at ways to give a lot of depth to the Contacts Talent and provides info for upgrading equipment (not buying new equipment, but upgrading existing equipment), which I definitely plan to use, as well as suggestions for making unique items tailored to your players.

The only thing that disappointed me was that "game statistics for The Hanged Man tavern in Kirkwall" didn't actually mean "here's a bunch of NPCs to interact with, tavern inventory and prices, and a map." It was more a description of how this particular locale might adjust certain RP-related tests. Though that is useful information, particularly how it's tied with the new Threshold rules in the set 2 GM guide, it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Also, there are some typos on Varric's stats that you will probably notice if you compare what's written to what is given in the separate equipment section (which I also plan to use). Will emailed me and said they'd get it fixed ASAP, but it's totally still worth buying pre-fix. (UPDATE: This has been corrected.)

Overall, glad to have spend the $1.50 on it.
Last edited by Elfie on Fri May 25, 2012 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Varric PDF

Postby jgladeb » Wed May 23, 2012 7:30 am

Added information on the Contacts talent and upgrading equipment sounds really interesting. I'll probably get this. Hopefully the more we support Green Ronin the more we can expect to see from them in the content department. Glad to hear that this is worth it! Thanks!
- It's always darkest before it goes pitch black...

My custom Dragon Age miniature related downloads: http://www.daddymonsterstudio.com/downloads.html
jgladeb
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ghostdanser » Wed May 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Elfie pretty well covered it all...

All I add is that IMO it's definitely worth the price of admission.
TTFN,
Ghostdanser
"Reality is perception...and perceptions lie."
Ghostdanser
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Andferne » Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Agree that it is definitely worth the price.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Saisei » Thu May 24, 2012 2:50 am

I love Varric but I wasn't gone on the Tallis one that was released so I wasn't going to get this.

Think I'll pick it up now!

(Elfie you need to contact GR about some money for PR and publicity ;) )
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Scott McFarland » Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 am

Love this. Wish we could have kept to the Tallis formula though and seen Varric's stats at 1st and 10th level. And will a corrected PDF be made available for people who've paid for the current version? Im assuming the bianca damage and bayonet corrections will be made...?
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Elfie » Thu May 24, 2012 4:59 am

The corrections would certainly be available to people who already purchased it. You can just log into your account to re-download anything you've already purchased.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Andferne » Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 am

Scott McFarland wrote:Wish we could have kept to the Tallis formula though and seen Varric's stats at 1st and 10th level.

Same!
However I think the reason we did not get Varric at 10th level is so they could avoid giving him a specialization. Seeing as he would not fall into any of the published ones, as Marksman is still just in beta stage and might be subject to change.
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Elfie » Thu May 24, 2012 11:47 am

Varric PDF has been updated to version 1.1. Anyone who purchased it previously can get it by logging into their account and re-downloading.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Scott McFarland » Thu May 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Andferne wrote:
Scott McFarland wrote:Wish we could have kept to the Tallis formula though and seen Varric's stats at 1st and 10th level.

Same!
However I think the reason we did not get Varric at 10th level is so they could avoid giving him a specialization. Seeing as he would not fall into any of the published ones, as Marksman is still just in beta stage and might be subject to change.

As a storyteller, he's got to be a Bard surely?
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Scott McFarland » Thu May 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Elfie wrote:Varric PDF has been updated to version 1.1. Anyone who purchased it previously can get it by logging into their account and re-downloading.

That would be wonderful but my account doesn't register as having bought it, so I can't. GR admins help please?
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Andferne » Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Scott McFarland wrote:As a storyteller, he's got to be a Bard surely?

Maybe it is just me then. I just do not see him as a Bard. I see his storytelling ability to be covered from the persuasion and/or performance focus than the actual class.
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Lynata » Thu May 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for the review, Elfie - that was pretty informative. :)

Scott McFarland wrote:That would be wonderful but my account doesn't register as having bought it, so I can't. GR admins help please?
I recommend opening a ticket with customer support - go here and select "PDF Customer Service", that should do it!
current campaign character: Niamh MacCarrain, Templar Apprentice, L4 human warrior
Lynata
Booster
Booster

Postby Bardwulf » Fri May 25, 2012 12:49 am

Yeah the Tallis one didn't blow me away so I certainly wasn't going to spend money buying this one.

Releases like this are needed but I just don't personally like this Faces of Thedas thing. I don't want to involve the computer game too much and if they are going to release them, they should make them free, after the long wait we've all endured for new module content of any kind...sorry to troll but I'm just saying what I think of this product in an honest way.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zapp » Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am

I'm generally fine with this even though it isn't my interest. After all, if they sell it means = more DA stuff... (and not just Faces) and if it doesn't, well, then having lots of Faces won't be a problem will it? :)

Anyway GR can keep the Dragon AGE flame alive 's good. A game without a steady stream of releases is a dead game in the minds of many a gamer (just stating a fact, not saying I necessarily agree with it).

Sure adventure scenarios would be best but anything that keeps "green ronin dragon age" popping up in the news channels and rss readers is better than nothing. :)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Admiral Yacob » Fri May 25, 2012 5:37 am

I wasn't going to buy this one (didn't buy Tallis or the Wyvern) but with Elfie's review of the non-character content, I'm interested enough to buy. Plus Varric was one of my favorite characters. That being said, I too am trying to stay away from the events of the computer game so I'd rather see non-game specific content, such as a Places of Thedas instead of a Faces of Thedas or more of the general AGE expansion stuff.
Admiral Yacob
Booster
Booster

Postby Scott McFarland » Fri May 25, 2012 5:58 am

For me it wasn't so much Varric as the extra rules stuff - weapons and armour that scale as a character levels.
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Bardwulf » Sat May 26, 2012 12:22 am

Zapp wrote:I'm generally fine with this even though it isn't my interest. After all, if they sell it means = more DA stuff... (and not just Faces) and if it doesn't, well, then having lots of Faces won't be a problem will it? :)

Anyway GR can keep the Dragon AGE flame alive 's good. A game without a steady stream of releases is a dead game in the minds of many a gamer (just stating a fact, not saying I necessarily agree with it).

Sure adventure scenarios would be best but anything that keeps "green ronin dragon age" popping up in the news channels and rss readers is better than nothing. :)

Yeah but what about the time Bioware is spending okaying this instead of what they need to be doing? And they'll be doing it on all the other faces series.
Bioware, get your priorities straight.

Yes, places of Thedas would be great for us as an example.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Return to Dragon Age RPG