Demonic Possession Rules?

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Re: Demonic Possession Rules?

Postby Loswaith » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm

shonuff wrote:
Loswaith wrote:Though the grey area is that of corpse possession, which seems to be more mage like possession than non-mage possession.

I think it's actually the reverse... that possessing a corpse is more like possessing a tree than a mage. It's a form without a will to resist; however, it still has the uses of a humanoid form.

Thats a good point, though the lines I was thinking that were different is that demons seem to be able to posess a corpse even in areas where the veil isn't weakened or torn (whether thats directly from the fade or areas with alot of corpses weaken the veil, is uncertain, though it could just be my fuzzy memory from the game that undead were about in other areas). The actual process of course would be much the same, in that it's an uncontested form.
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Zapp » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:36 am

Now that we've established that demons can possess all sorts of characters in your campaign if you want them to, and only mages if that's what you want, or perhaps something in-between if that works best for you ("mostly mages except in rare cases" or "everybody possessed by a demon has magic power even if she doesn't know it" perhaps?)...

...lets get back on track, shall we? No matter who's being possessed, I would like some rules to govern the activity. :) We've already gotten useful suggestions for houseruling the basics, but no suggestions of existing games so far. So:

Anyone know of an interesting/useful/curious existing ruleset (another rpg that is; preferably some sort of fantasy) which we could use for Dragon Age to make possession, resisting possession, and exorcism into something else than "the adventure said so" or "that's what the story needs"?
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby shonuff » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:41 am

Loswaith wrote:Thats a good point, though the lines I was thinking that were different is that demons seem to be able to posess a corpse even in areas where the veil isn't weakened or torn (whether thats directly from the fade or areas with alot of corpses weaken the veil, is uncertain, though it could just be my fuzzy memory from the game that undead were about in other areas). The actual process of course would be much the same, in that it's an uncontested form.

My interpretation is that most demons who cross over, which would necessitate some damage to the veil (or summoning -- which might do the same thing), would exist as shades of some sort. Once in the world, they could travel fairly at will, although they would have to possess something in order to remain. I would assume that if a demon came over, possessed a corpse then walked a thousand miles, it could then repossess something else if necessary.... kind of like that one Denzel Washington movie... Fallen?

Zapp wrote:
...lets get back on track, shall we? No matter who's being possessed, I would like some rules to govern the activity. :) We've already gotten useful suggestions for houseruling the basics, but no suggestions of existing games so far.

If the situation were to arise in my campaign, what I would do would be the something along the following (obviously incomplete thoughts):

1. Outside of the Fade, a demon cannot possess a sentient being forcefully (except a boss-level demon who does so for story's sake).
2. There must be some sort of deal or tit-for-tat.
3. Once the deal has been struck, I'd allow the demon to start gaining power (i.e., every gluttonous act while possessed by a Hunger demon would count).
4. I'd make some sort of "possession" counter. As the counter moved along, the character would get more abilities... damage bonus, more health, something along those lines. An insidious Pride or Lust demon might even be able to disguise itself to be more positive throughout.
5. There would be Willpower checks to resist sliding along further down the counter, or crossing counter milestones. These would come at increasing negatives, however.
6. As the demon gains power, there would be times where the character would not be in control, as determined by the possession counter.
7. At full possession, the character would become unplayable.
8. At any time, a rescue mission could be mounted in the Fade to free the afflicted. I would also rule that the possessed character may be able to assist.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby denizen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Possession Modifiers (all modifiers are cumulative):

+6 The target of a possession is in a magical circle of protection or otherwise has a supernatural immunity to possession.
+5 The target of a possession is currently within a sanctuary, sacred place that is believed to provide provide protection or is otherwise dramatically opposed to the possessing entity.
+5 The target of possession is extraordinarily strong-willed.
+4 Character has been previously possessed in the past, and successfully fought it off.
+4 The character or ally possesses a weapon, form of magic or bit of lore that is believed to be useful against possession.
+3 The target of a possession knows that if he becomes possessed, he will become a danger to his loved ones.
+3 The target of a possession is surrounded by strong-willed allies who are skilled in defeating possession or knowledgeable about the subject.
+2 The target of a possession knows that if he becomes possessed, he will become a danger to his allies.
+2 Character has been warned that he might become a target of possession.
+2 Character is the opposite alignment as the possessing entity (i.e the entity is evil, and the person is good).
+2 The character is surrounded by friends or allies.
+1 The character is not alone.

-6 The target of a possession is in a coma, catatonic, or brain-dead (i.e an empty shell).
-5 The target of a possession is a genuine willing worshiper, servant or ally to the entity.
-5 The target of a possession is holding or otherwise in direct contact with the entity's former host (person, place or object), and making direct eye contact with it or ingested or been infected by some magical pathogen designed to induce possession in the target.
-4 The target of a possession is standing directly within the center of the entity's place of power, the place where the entity is present and at its strongest (altar, throne room) or where it has been imprisoned.
-4 The target of a possession is extremely weak-willed, has low self-esteem, is clinically depressed, suicidal, or otherwise mentally unbalanced with more than three different insanities.
-4 The target has a phobia of being possessed, or is deathly afraid of possessing entities such as ghosts or demons, and is now being confronted with the prospect of possession.
-4 The character has been in possession of a magic item, bit of lore believed to be sacred to the entity and through which the entity may channel its power, and has repeatedly touched, looked at, examined or otherwise been in frequent contact with it for at least the last 24 hours.
-3 The target of a possession has been offered something valuable by the entity and has been successfully tempted by its promises (not necessarily accepting, but is fascinated and is considering it).
-3 The target of a possession has just seen some especially impressive or horrifying manifestation of the entity and has failed to save vs its awe/horror factor.
-3 The target of a possession is a child.
-3.The target of a possession attempt was in the middle of committing an evil act (murder, rape, desecration) or is an unhallowed or desecrated area and has been calling attention to himself.
-2 The character has recently failed a save vs horror factor within the past 24 hour or in general is frightened or jumpy due to recent events.
-2. The target of a possession attempt is the same general alignment as the possessing entity (I.e both the entity and the person is evil).
-2. The target of a possession has a minor insanity.
-2. The character is distracted, dazed or hypnotized.
-1. The target of a possession is alone.
-1. The target of a possession attempt is a (non-combatant) woman.
-1 The target has been surprised attacked or otherwise hasn't been forewarned that he might be possessed or that the entity exists.
-1. The target of possession has just seen a minor manifestation of the entity's presence, and while may be surprised, has not failed to save vs its awe/horror factor.

Various. The character is lacking sleep or is exhausted. -1 if the character has gone 12-18 hours without sleep, -2 having gone without 24-36 hours; -3 having gone 48-72 hours without sleep, and -4 having gone 80 hours or longer without sleep.

Various. The character is seriously wounded, tortured or ill: When a character’s Hit Points are down by 50% or more, concentration is difficult (feels weak, tired in pain, etc) and the pain and fatigue are distracting -3 to save vs possession. The penalty worsens to -4 when the character has less than 25% of his Hit Points. Illness, especially fever, can cause similar penalties. Debilitating illness will usually indicate skill penalties ranging from -2 to -4 to save vs possession.

-Various. The target of a possession has been repeatedly the subject of various rituals, drugs, spells or other actions to render him vulnerable to possession over a long duration of time (-3 days, -4 weeks, -5 months, -6 years or since birth). In the alternative, the target has been subjected repeatedly to spells by the entity designed to control their will, and failed to save against them (-1 for each time that this has happened in the last 72 hours).
denizen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zsgothpunk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:07 pm

A question was raised during our last game session. Can a mage deliberately give up and allow a demon to possess his body? It was an apostate in our game who was captured and I came up with the idea of committing suicide in this specific way to avoid interrogation. He would allow a demon to possess his body, thus his capturers must fight an abomination. Has anybody read anything on this option?
zsgothpunk
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tiger's Heart » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm

There are various sources that cite this type of case including the movie Dawn of the Seeker iirc

From a GM point of view there is plenty of flexibility in the realm of the Fade and Demons to justify pretty much whatever is needed to facilitate your story. However without any prior communication with a demon, or blood magic getting an instant response and therefore quick suicide would be unlikely. If he were to call out while under pain and torture - he would be more "attractive" to an entity out to experience human emotion.

Tiger's Heart
Beware what lies beneath, The Tiger's Heart in the Woman's Hide; The Iron Fist in the Velvet Glove.

Completed Esoterica from Thedas Volumes 1 to 3
Tiger's Heart
Cohort
Cohort

Previous

Return to Dragon Age RPG