[Update] Mass Effect AGE Revised 1.03

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Re: [Update] Mass Effect AGE Revised 1.03

Postby seppun1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:26 am

Sorry, I've been away from the forums and didn't see the update! Alright! You got ship combat rules! :) I really like the tour of the Normandy (and you did mention the difference between it and standard Alliance frigates.) I also liked that you add some stats on Fighters. I can see that they will be engaging them far more in the beginning since Pirates and Mercs used them.

Also, I liked that you added some specializations! I haven't had a chance to look through them yet, but it looks great so far!
seppun1
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:28 am

Woodclaw wrote:
Estoirtoh wrote:No feedback at all?

Right now I have almost no time to answer, since I'm wrapped into too many projects at once. Also I'm not a big fan of having the stats of each character aimply because my idea can be radically different (e.g. why is Anderson only Lv5? I thought he would be a little higher).

Hey. I set Anderson to level 5 because I figured in P&P terms the first Mass Effect game would be a campaign from level 1 to level 5, then Mass Effect 2 taking the characters from 5 - 10 and ME3 finally from 10 - 20. Saren, being the final "boss" and main antagonist in the campaign, would be around level 8, to provide the characters with a challenge. Anderson is good, but he's not on par with Saren, otherwise he'd be the one chasing after him. That's why he is 5. But after all, that's just my very own opinion. If you as a GM would alter the stats, you are of course free to do so. I'm only handing out a suggestion.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby ReaperX5 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey,

I was reading the PDF and my and my friends are much bigger fans of mass effect than dragon age.

but we were having a problem with the ammo usage per attack. Does one attack use the entire clip or just some of it? becuase the burst fire says it only uses 5 ammo, so we got really confused. If anyone could help me out that would be really great.

Also I made a character sheet for the MEAGE if anyone is interested. I just dont know how it put it here :oops:

If anyone could help with that, that would be great also.
ReaperX5
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Saisei » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:58 am

Not sure on the ammo pack thing, but for the PDF you could open a mediafire account (http://www.mediafire.com/), and upload it there, then paste the link to it on the forums.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Woodclaw » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 am

ReaperX5 wrote:Hey,

I was reading the PDF and my and my friends are much bigger fans of mass effect than dragon age.

but we were having a problem with the ammo usage per attack. Does one attack use the entire clip or just some of it? becuase the burst fire says it only uses 5 ammo, so we got really confused. If anyone could help me out that would be really great.

Also I made a character sheet for the MEAGE if anyone is interested. I just dont know how it put it here :oops:

If anyone could help with that, that would be great also.

The default assumption is that each attack use 1 shot from the clip, unless it's a burst attack which uses 5.

I hope this helps.
"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?"
[i]'Gentleman' John Marcone[/i]
Woodclaw
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 am

Woodclaw wrote:
The default assumption is that each attack use 1 shot from the clip, unless it's a burst attack which uses 5.

I hope this helps.

That is indeed correct. As for how many shots can be fired with one clip, that's depending on the weapon you are using and is described in the weapon table.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby ReaperX5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 am

I can see how that would make sense for the pistol, shotgun and sniper rifle, but for automatic rifles and SMGs, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not sure how you guys played ME, but I usually emptied whole clips into enimes with my Assault rifles.

Maybe there could be an option for automatic weapons where you could either use a sustained fire, using up half a clip as an standard attack, or a "empty the clip" attack where you used an entire clip, got a bonus to attack roll and damage for the sheer amount of you're shooting, but it makes reloading a major action. Or something like that, just throwing it out there...

Also heres the character sheet I made, let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pof6xc6gv8ogp7r
ReaperX5
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

ReaperX5 wrote:I can see how that would make sense for the pistol, shotgun and sniper rifle, but for automatic rifles and SMGs, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not sure how you guys played ME, but I usually emptied whole clips into enimes with my Assault rifles.

Maybe there could be an option for automatic weapons where you could either use a sustained fire, using up half a clip as an standard attack, or a "empty the clip" attack where you used an entire clip, got a bonus to attack roll and damage for the sheer amount of you're shooting, but it makes reloading a major action. Or something like that, just throwing it out there...

Things like that are actually in the game already. Suppresive Fire is an action gained by the Assault Rifle (Expert) talent, that allows you to spent up to 3 ammunition to add +1 per ammunition spent to your allies defense until your next turn. Burst Fire is an action only usable when wielding sub-machine guns or assault rifles - when taking that action, you spend 5 ammunition in order to add +1d6 to your damage roll, but suffer a -3 penalty to your attack roll.

Also heres the character sheet I made, let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pof6xc6gv8ogp7r

Thanks for your effort, it's looking pretty good. I'll add the link to the first post.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby ReaperX5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 pm

That makes a lot more sense thanks. Also you spelt my name wrong on the on the first page. It's X5. Not X3.

Our first session went really well and we wait for all the new things you add to the rules.

Thanks for making a totally awesome way to play Mass Effect.
ReaperX5
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 am

Oh, sorry about that. I'll correct that right away.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knightwolf64 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello i have DL you PDF an i like to say that it is very unique and thought out for the world. I was woundering if I could borrow the ideas and expand on them in a Space type game simular to Phantasy Star or Star Ocean type game.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:48 am

Sure, go ahead.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knightwolf64 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I have read this document i have to say nice job. I Love the asari race but i have one question and it is seririous one. When i have read the wiki on mass effect i understand the asari race is all female and quite exquised in beauty at least in human perception. But the the picture i looked up on google and the percpetion i got from the picture is that asari are for a lack of better words loose with there morals when it comes to sex or sluts. Is it just me or am i thinking to much into the picture and race lol. I absolutely love this race and there background and wanted to know if anyone would start up an online of this rpg.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:52 am

That depends very much on the Asari and what age "she" is. As you might have read, an asari goes through three major stages in life: the maiden stage, the matron stage, and the matriarch stage. Most asari outside asari space are maiden - they are biologically driven to gather new wisdom and experience new things in the galaxy. That's why they often work in dance clubs, where they can meet a huge variety of people. And that's why asari are often percieved as "sluts" by other races. The matrons and matriarchs however don't act like that. Matrons are focused on founding a family and often live monogamous, whereas matriarchs left exploration and family behind themselves to guide their people with the wisdom they collected throughout their lifes.

So, while they may be percieved as such due to lack of other experiences, not all asari are sluts. If you played the Mass Effect video games, take Liara T'soni or Samara as an example. Liara, even though in her maiden stage, decided to learn new things through archeology, rather than through dancing in a strip club. Samara, though dressing quite ostentatious, offers only platonic love, not physical.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knightwolf64 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

I guess it was just me lol. I have not played the game yet nor have I played the others. I just read the wiki and read about the race more indepth. You are quite right. Other races, often perceive this, from what I gather because it is THEIR perception from their diffrent cultural views. I agree totally with you. But I am sorry for using the word slut to best describe that term of loose morals. The rasce to me sounds quite wise when gathering information and so many different applications could be used or misused with that gentic ability lol. I would dare say criminal if she wanted to lol. Why is it there are no males and could an Asari mate with another female of a species and create a child just asking for a character idea is all?
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tlurker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:14 pm

First I wanted to say fantastic job, a few friends and I are working on starting a game very soon. Need more/varied enemies to fight though heh.

Now on to the reason for my post: Drell Willpower(Memory) focus.
Honestly I'm not sure it should even be a Focus so much as a straight up Race Ability.

From http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Drell:
The drell possess eidetic memory, an adaptation to a world where they must remember the location of every necessary resource (vegetation, drinkable water and prey migration paths) across vast distances. The memories are so strong that an external stimulus can trigger a powerful memory recall. These recalls are so vivid and detailed that some drell may mistake it for reality. Thane Krios, for example, remembers every assassination he has ever performed and can describe them in flawless detail, and says he prefers to spend a lonely night with the perfect memory of another. This process can be involuntary.

Having been a GM for over 15 years I can see how the Total Recall could be game breaking, however, if you added the downside it mentions in the above paragraph then it could be workable.

Perhaps whenever they access their memory in that fashion it has a chance to overwhelm them for so many rounds. Also, since random things can trigger memories, you could set conditions for various actions(like combat) where there is the chance they will suddenly get lost in a memory. It can be an involuntary process, after all.

Just a thought, it's perfectly serviceable as it is, though.

Assault Rifles & Shotguns: I saw that you had them as STR originally, even explained why(which is exactly why you would need STR) then changed it to Perception(Assault Rifle) and Dexterity(Shotgun).
Yes the high tech weapons have lowered recoil etc. but if you've played the games then you know the weapons DO have recoil. In fact there are a whole list of Stabilizers and Recoil Suppression mods for the various weapons.
Having fired many shotguns and several semi automatic rifles(which don't have near the recoil of full auto rifles) I can say that strength is a must. And manual Dexterity never enters the fray when deal with shotguns, which is why they are often given to the less skilled when firearms are needed. Point and Fire is a phrase that is dead on with shotguns(even when firing solid slugs).

Again, it's perfectly serviceable as is, I just wanted to throw it out there that it seemed correct the first time. *shrug*

Well, those are my thoughts. You can take'em or Leave'em. The game is still coming along fantastically, keep up the good work!
Tlurker
Bystander
Bystander

Postby exhominem » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Just wanted to give this my 'official' sanction and thumbs-up. Thanks for picking up where I left off!

If it's helpful, here's the player's handbook and character sheet I put together. It was originally submitted to go to http://dragonageoracle.com/, buuuut I don't think they're going to post it any time soon.
exhominem
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby gizmomechanic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Hey
So there are misconception with the class choice on the group I play. For example salarian has tech and combat. Some of us say he can be vanguard and sentinel along with other classes besides adept and others are saying they can only be soldier, engineer or infiltrator. So can you help us out on which is right?
gizmomechanic
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 am

First one is correct. Salarians can choose any class from the Tech branch (Engineer, Infiltrator, Sentinel) and from the Combat branch (Soldier, Vanguard, Infiltrator), so a Salarian can pick any class except Adept.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Knightwolf64 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:15 am

I had played ME3 before ME2. I was woundering how does a character like Katsumi fall into the classes or even Jack's character. There seems to be more of a branching out of classes other than just the main classes from the game series. Katsumi is a thief as she describes herself in the game. Jack is a convict. Can there be more than just the soldier,biotic, and tech character types. Maybe create another class type? Just a thought. Not to crossbreed one game system into another. The d20 mass effect d20 forum has sever diffrent classes and a plethora of other info, such as infections and Quarians. That could transposed into this game system. I am trying to convert some of it as i am writing this now. Would it be a form of plagurism to use that material to create a ME book in this system?
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Estoirtoh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:24 am

Kasumi would fit into the Infiltrator (Phantom) class, Jack into the Adept (Commando) class. Kasumi's speciality is theft, which can be simulated by picking according foci and talents like Dexterity (Ledgerdemain, Sneaking), Tech (Stealth) or Electronics. Jack's a convict, which isn't necessarily is a class more than a background story. The most fitting background for Jack would probably be Earthborn (Under Class) considering her upbringing, or Colonist, as she was actually born on Eden Prime. Personally, I tried to stick as close to the original AGE system as possible, rulewise. Adding 3 more classes was already a big step away, so I don't feel comfortable adding even more, which may not be even necessary. I've also tried to have the draft filled mostly with rules and not as much background info, because you can easily gain access to a lot of information about the Mass Effect setting via the games, books and wikis that are out there.

Concerning your second request, I'm not quite sure what's the problem. Are you going to use material from the d20 froum to make an alternative Mass Effect system in AGE? Then you should ask permission on the d20 forums. If you want to use parts of my system: Go ahead, as long as you give credit I've got no problem with people utilizing my script as inspiration.
Estoirtoh
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Spedoinkel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:57 am

Hi!

I was thinking about running a ME game in AGE, and am so happy and impressed with you doing a lot of the prep work for me. Big kudos, but I do have some notes.

The Asari interbreed with other species as a way of bringing in new traits and knowledge in order to strengthen the species. In order to reflect this I would suggest that you change one of the values on the Maiden chart to "One once on any other species background chart". I'd suggest either the "Communication (Performance)" or the "+1 Cunning" values. You might also want to put in a "Pure Asari" value which gives +1 Biotic over the innate racial bonus.

On the Spacer chart, I don't think Quarians should have access to a Constitution bonus due to the species' relatively weak immune system even before their exile. This was explained in the codex:
Rannoch has no insect life. As a result, its pollinating plants evolved to rely on animals for propagation. This symbiosis between flora and fauna is responsible for the quarians' weakened immune systems, which made colonization of other planets extremely difficult after their exile from Rannoch. For many quarians, reclaiming their homeworld from the geth is a matter of both cultural and physiological necessity.

But since a third Ability is necessary for the chart, I'd change it out to Perception.

Also, I'd switch out the "Dexterity (Sneaking)" for "Communication (Etiquette)" to reflect the breadth of different cultures Quarians are exposed to on the Pilgrimage.

I think a Human Biotic background wouldn't be amiss.

The first line of the Krogan section should read "In these times, a Krogan giving birth is a rare thing to see." as opposed to "a Krogan being birth", because...ew.

On the Krogan chart I'd exchange the "+1 Dexterity" for "+1 Cunning". Some Krogan have shown themselves to be very canny, e.g. Wrek, Eve, Okeer, however they haven't really been shown to be all that maneuverable. As long as the barrel of the gun is pointed away from them, they are to waste ammo. On the Tankbred chart I think the Dex bonus could work because you can put whatever you want into the genetic soup, but change out the Perception ability for Cunning.

Ah! I see there are two Quarian charts. I'm not sure why they need a two, since they should really all share the same background. I think what I said above still applies.

Under Turians you might mention that the society is based around a meritocracy. It gives a bit of flavor into how Turians see themselves and those around them. Value is placed more heavily on accomplishment than in other races.

That's all I've got at the moment. I need to get some sleep and will go over the rest later.
Spedoinkel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby seppun1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am

While I have read over Spedoinkel's suggestions, I don't think some of the changes are necessary. While making a character, though, I got to thinking....how would you make a pilot character? Would a new class need to be created? For example, how would I make a Turian pilot? Would I have to wait until I level up to purchase Dex (pilot)? So far, I have allowed that if you rolled the +1 Dex on the background chart, you can take the pilot focus instead.

And now a question to everyone. Has anyone played around with the Starship info? Anyone worked on stating out new ships? I was curious what everyone's opinion would be for stats on a cruiser.

I am still very much enjoying these rules, though. I am very much happy to be able to tabletop rp Mass Effect. :)
seppun1
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Knightwolf64 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Hey everyone, I'm back after a long school year almost done. I have undertaken a HUGE project since my last post in here. I have been making a complete Mass Effect revamp of what has already been done. I am just going over the final details of it. It will be posted sometime in the next two weeks. I cannot figure out how to upload files to the forum, so anybody that wants it will have to gime there email. Unless there is some way of doing such. I will be giving credit to those I adopted there ideas from in the PDF. Anyone else whom gives feedback, creates new stuff or playtests it will go in the books credit page as well. Be on the look out for this PDF coming soon. As always happy gaming.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Knightwolf64 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Just wanted to update the status of the pdf. Books 1&2 are almost done. Just finalizing the pics and proof read for spelling and grammatical errors. If someone would be so kind as to allow me to put a pdf in the forum please, or some where else I could host it that would be much appreciated.
To Life Love and Loot
Knightwolf64
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Dragon Age RPG