Judge Dredd AGE

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Judge Dredd AGE

Postby Superior1200 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 pm

I know its kind of a weird question, but with the movie coming out on Friday, has anyone given thought to doing a Judge Dredd netbook similar to the Star Wars, Firefly and Mass Effect?

I wished I new more about it so I could give it a shot...

Somethings that came to my mind...

Classes:
Adept (Replace Mage), Rogue (Maybe go with Scoundrel), Warrior (Or Soldier)

Backgrounds:
Mega City Street Judge, Psi-Judge, Mega City Citizen, Rogue Psyker, Mega City Robot, Mutant Outcast

Modified Weapon Groups:
Melee Weapons, Grenade Weapons, Pistol Weapons, Rifle Weapons, Heavy Weapons, Exotic Weapons

Specializations:
(Judges) Med-Judge, Tek-Judge, SJS Judge (Special Judicial Squad), The Wally Squad Judge, (Citizens) Assassin, Bat Burglar, Blitzer, Bodyguard, The Nark, The Superhero

Just some thoughts, what do you guys think?

Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Judge Dredd AGE

Postby sloblock » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 am

sounds quite an interesting concept, after seeing the film the other week in the UK I have been trawling Ebay for the old GW version to play.

never thought of using AGE
sloblock
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Superior1200 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm willing to put something together, just need to understand a bit more about the AGE system.

I've made several netbooks for the cinematic unisystem (various genre) and they turned out nice, so I'll put some serious thought into it, but it would be great if I could get some seasoned help for the AGE system.

Hmm, a lot to think on
Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Superior1200 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:02 pm

MEGA-CITY STREET JUDGE (Background)

Street Judges are the elite of the Mega-Cities. They are highly trained from the age of five. It takes fifteen years to train, fifteen years in the toughest academy on earth. Fifteen years of iron discipline, rigid self-control and concentrated aggression. By the time a judge hits the streets, he is no longer truly a man–he is a machine.
They are granted the very best equipment and then take to the streets to bring law and order to the citizens. They are enforcers of peace and stability. Without constant presence of the ever watching judges, Mega-Cities would tear themselves apart in hours.
Street Judges have the reputation of being almost super-human. Their superb range of abilities makes it difficult to match and any one judge is easily the equal of several common perps. However, the streets of Mega-Cities are dangerous places and a judge needs all of his training and equipment just to survive the patrols he makes each and every day. Often seen as dour, faceless and humorless individuals, there are in fact many different personality types within the ranks of the judges, but all share a common goal - to eradicate crime from the streets of the city.

PLAYING A STREET JUDGE
If you choose to play a Street Judge, modify your character as follows:
• Add 1 to your Cunning ability. Street Judges are academically trained for fifteen years.
• Add 1 to your Strength ability or your Constitution ability. Physical specimens.
• Pick one of the following ability focuses: CUNNING (LAW) or WILLPOWER (SELF-DISCIPLINE).
• You can speak and read Mega-Speak
• Choose Class. You can play either a expert or a warrior. Represents the different training methods.

Roll twice on the accompanying table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the results together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.

2D6 Roll Benefit
2 +1 Dexterity
3-4 Focus: Strength (Intimidation)
5 Focus: Communication (Investigation)
6 Focus: Dexterity (Pistols)
7-8 +1 Perception
9 Focus: Perception (Searching)
10-11 Focus: Dexterity (Riding)
12 +1 Constitution

This is my attempt a Homebrew Background, thoughts?
Ron
Last edited by Superior1200 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Superior1200 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 pm

MEGA-CITY PSI-JUDGE (Background)

Cadets with psi-talent are identified early during training in the Academy of Law, and endure rigorous tests designed to bring their unique talents to the fore.
Whilst every psi-judge is expected to perform the duties of a street judge on patrol, their psi-talent, carefully honed after years of training, makes them a vital resource to any investigation carried out by the Justice Department.
Often faced with the pressure of both conducting the duties of any other judge alongside harnessing their growing talent, psi-judges often seem to be highly-strung individuals, possessing a life and humor that would mark any other judge for disciplinary action from his Sector Chief. Psi-judges fulfil a vital role within the Justice Department and are relied upon to solve crimes and investigations where traditional law-enforcement methods prove inadequate and thus are afforded a greater deal of latitude in their behavior. A psi-judge is rarely as tough and aggressive as a street judge, but they are able to supplement their Justice Department training with the ability to probe directly into a suspects mind, peer into the future or mindblast an escaping perp.

PLAYING A PSI-JUDGE
If you choose to play a Psi-Judge, modify your character as follows:
• Add 1 to your Psi ability. Psi-Judges endure rigorous training for fifteen years.
• Add 1 to your Cunning ability or your Willpower ability.
• Pick one of the following ability focuses: CUNNING (PSIONIC LORE) or PERCEPTION (EMPATHY).
• You can speak and read Mega-Speak
• Take the Adept Class. Represents the specialized training of psi-judges.

Roll twice on the accompanying table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the results together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.

2D6 Roll Benefit
2 +1 Willpower
3-4 Focus: Cunning (Law)
5 Focus: Communication (Investigation)
6 Focus: Willpower (Self-Discipline)
7-8 +1 Perception
9 Focus: Perception (Searching)
10-11 Focus: Dexterity (Riding)
12 +1 Constitution

My Second Hombrew Background...
Ron
Last edited by Superior1200 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Superior1200 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 pm

The Three Classes I'm using in my Judge Dredd AGE

Adept
PRIMARY ABILITIES
Perception, Psi, and Willpower.
SECONDARY ABILITIES
Communication, Constitution, Cunning, Dexterity, and Strength.
STARTING HEALTH: 20 + Constitution + 1d6.
PSI POINTS: 10 + Psi + 1d6 (Psi + 1d6 each level there after).
WEAPON GROUPS: Brawling plus one more.
TALENTS: Start with PSI SENSE (Novice) and PSI TRAINING (Novice), plus any other two. Gain one more each level.
PSI POWERS: Start with three powers, gain one every even-numbered level (2, 4, 6, and so on).
FAVORED STUNTS: Gain one favored stunt (only psi stunts) at levels 3, 6 and 9.
PSI POWERS: Alter Memory, Daze, Force Field, Levitate, Lightning, Mind Blast, Mind Bomb, Psi Bolt, Pyrokinetic Blast, Repulsion Field, and Shock.
PSI TALENTS: Astral Projection, Aura Perception, Clairvoyance, Psi Sense, Self Awareness, Shaping, Telekinesis, and Telepathy.

Expert
PRIMARY ABILITIES
Communication, Cunning, and Perception.
SECONDARY ABILITIES
Constitution, Dexterity, Psi, Strength, and Willpower.
STARTING HEALTH: 25 + Constitution + 1d6.
WEAPON GROUPS: Brawling plus two more.
TALENTS: Start with any three at Novice degree. Gain one more each level.
FAVORED STUNTS: Gain one favored stunt (any type) at levels 3, 6 and 9.

Warrior
PRIMARY ABILITIES
Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength.
SECONDARY ABILITIES
Communication, Cunning, Perception, Psi, and Willpower.
STARTING HEALTH: 30 + Constitution + 1d6.
WEAPON GROUPS: Brawling plus three more.
TALENTS: Start with any three (Novice degree), but at least two must be weapon style talents. Gain one more each level.
FAVORED STUNTS: Gain one favored stunt (only combat stunts) at levels 3, 6 and 9.

I await your replies...
Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 am

Regarding Psionics I put these draft rules up on my blog a while ago. Hopefully they may be of some use!

http://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2012/03/09 ... cs-in-age/
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Superior1200 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 am

To be honest, your rules are what I'm using, lol.

Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

Awesome! I'm being useful!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Superior1200 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:50 am

Yep, so any thoughts or suggestions?

Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Looks pretty good so far! You've added Psi Powers in addition to the talents, which is fair enough because the Adept class is basically replacing the mage. And Psi Points replace the psi-strength that I had - which is again quite reasonable given that it's now a class whose powers are its key thing.

The main thing, I would think, is that the Psi powers should reflect the actual abilities of the Psi Judges in the comic. It's been quite a while since I read any of those, so I'm probably not best qualified to judge (har har!) I had the impression that psi-judges were regular judges with psionic powers, rather than psi-sensitives with guns and a badge.

I like the simplification of classes gaining stunt bonuses at certain levels. In the Dragon Age RAW, characters get talents every other level, so these classes would be overpowered - but that would probably suit the style of a Mega-City campaign!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Superior1200 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:17 am

I thought about that aspect too (gain a new talent each level), I might go with every other level...

I'm Not sure at the moment, but we are supposed to be playing today, I'll see how things go and let you know..
Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Superior1200 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Well, the game didn't actually take place, we've been hammering out the rules through discussions and what not.

I'm not sure how I want this to play out, the system is great but trying to make things work according to the world is proving a little distressing, I'm sure there's simple solutions, but I guess I'm not actually seeing them right away.

As far as the Psi-Judges, they are trained exactly like the Street Judges, but somewhere through their training, they are tested for Psi-Talent, if they are tested positive, they are then recruited by the Psi-Division where they begin under going Psi training to learn how to manipulate their talents with control, this seperates them from the typical citizen (mutant) that exhibits psi-talent.

I'm still not a 100% on the classes (one reason I dislike regular d20), I understand their purposes, but I tend to like the idea of free forming it, any suggestions on this?

I await your replies....
Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Superior1200 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:53 am

Think I might just go ahead and go back to unisystem and build on the rules for it.

Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:29 pm

I could certainly see that - for a Judge Dredd game - you may not need classes. If all the players are judges, then they are just differentiated by their talents (heavy weapons, psi, whatever). if you were going to use classes perhaps a better set would be: Judge (aka Warrior), Perp (aka Rogue) and then some kind of Tech/Science guy (for the 'mage')?
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Superior1200 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Totally, I actually started a "Hotdog run" last night using the Unisystem and the group had a blast...

We'll see, but for now I think I'm going to just stick with the unisystem..

Ron
Superior1200
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG