Quick Question

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Quick Question

Postby Zaki » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am

I couldn't seem to find it anywhere but if you make a ranged attack with a throwing axe, do you use dex or str? I would say dex but it doesn't say so anywhere
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Quick Question

Postby phantom » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Reading the rules, you should use Strength.
phantom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zaki » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Okay. Thanks!
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zapp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 am

Yes it's strength.

What's tripping you up is probably that in this particular regard, DARPG is different from many other games: all axes are covered by the same "skill" in this game.

Specifically, there's a weapon group and a focus for "axes" and if you find it you'll see this is where ALL axes go, including the ones you throw. And this is governed by Strength.
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby shonuff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 am

Although I could see that as being easily changed by a house rule, and perhaps it should with rogues, IIRC, being able to add Perception to ranged damage.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Zapp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:08 am

shonuff wrote:rogues, IIRC, being able to add Perception to ranged damage.

Bows (Shortbows, Crossbows, Longbows etc) add Perception to damage. For everybody, not just Rogues.

Or that wasn't what you meant?
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby shonuff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Hmmm. Not it. Maybe it was Dex? I might just be completely off balance, too, I don't have my manuals in front of me. However, I thought that rogues added an additional stat to ranged damage.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Loswaith » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 pm

For throwing I think the bonus for the attack is based on its type, in the cases of axes its strength, for daggers its dex, while strength adds to the damage of everything but the bows weapon group which adds perception (though uses dex for the attack).
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Andferne » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:01 pm

shonuff wrote:However, I thought that rogues added an additional stat to ranged damage.

The play test rules set it up where Rogues can add their Cunning to ranged damage at level 7 or 9, forget which of the two it was.

Which could make for some nice rogue archers if they build for that. Making sure that Perception and Cunning at up to a 5 by then would give you a 1d6+13 damage for longbows. Pretty nice chunk.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby NickMiddleton » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 am

Andferne wrote:
shonuff wrote:However, I thought that rogues added an additional stat to ranged damage.
The play test rules set it up where Rogues can add their Cunning to ranged damage at level 7 or 9, forget which of the two it was.

Err, its in the published version of set 2; Rogue Level 9 Class Power:
Set 2 Player's Guide Page 36 wrote:Lethality: You use your wits to hit enemies where it hurts. You can add your Cunning to your damage when making ranged attacks.

Note that it says ranged - so a Rogue gets to add Cunning to Thrown Knives, Spears and Axes as well...
Which could make for some nice rogue archers if they build for that. Making sure that Perception and Cunning at up to a 5 by then would give you a 1d6+13 damage for longbows. Pretty nice chunk.
Hmm, suddenly Rogue snipers look a lot more plausible... :D

Nick Middleton
NickMiddleton
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby phantom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 am

Andferne wrote:

Interesting! Think I read rogues can add CUN instead of PER/STR to ranged damage... Much better now. :D
phantom
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 am

NickMiddleton wrote: Err, its in the published version of set 2; Rogue Level 9 Class Power:
Set 2 Player's Guide Page 36 wrote:Lethality: You use your wits to hit enemies where it hurts. You can add your Cunning to your damage when making ranged attacks.

Note that it says ranged - so a Rogue gets to add Cunning to Thrown Knives, Spears and Axes as well...
Hmm, suddenly Rogue snipers look a lot more plausible... :D

Nick Middleton

That's what it is. And adding Cunning and Strength would be easy for a rogue to do, as Strength isn't a primary stat. Of course, it might be a moot point, because how many throwing axes could someone realistically hold? Maybe a half dozen given a specially designed harness?

phantom wrote:Interesting! Think I read rogues can add CUN instead of PER/STR to ranged damage... Much better now. :D

I read it to be an additional bonus, although I could also be misreading the rules.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Andferne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 am

shonuff wrote:And adding Cunning and Strength would be easy for a rogue to do, as Strength isn't a primary stat. Of course, it might be a moot point, because how many throwing axes could someone realistically hold? Maybe a half dozen given a specially designed harness?

Stacking Cunning and Strength is not so hard, especially if you build the Rogue in mind as a range combatant. As you mentioned the problem with thrown weapons is how many you can carry, on top of this their ranges kind of suck to. Bows and Crossbows however, Mmm now we're talking.

As Nick was kind enough to point out, Lethality is the level 9 ability. So let's just assume you have a 0 starting point for those two stats.
2nd level: Per-1
3rd level; Cun-1
4th level; Per-2
5th level; Cun-2
6th level; Per-3
7th level; Cun-3
8th level; Perc-4
9th level; Cun-4
So with that in mind, even starting with a 1 in each of those stats will put you at the sweet spot. (What I refer to 5 as for this game.)
Argue could be made that only increasing those two stats would gimp you elsewhere, but keep in mine we started with them as 0's and even if you use the generic point buy, you are going to have at least a 2 there. I would think, if not more. But on top of this adding to Perception as a Rogue is a sweet deal. Not only is it boosting your damage from level 2 and beyond, but it also helps with all those Focus you might use a lot as a scout.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby shonuff » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Egads, I need to quit posting LOL. Cunning isn't a primary stat for rogues.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Return to Dragon Age RPG