Magic Item Generator v.3 Download

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Magic Item Generator v.3 Download

Postby cKerensky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Jump ahead to page two for a message from me! Change logs remain as below!

Here's the beta for you guys to test. Feel free to send me feedback at bigwal@hotmail dot com.

Use at your own risk, always virus scan. It shouldn't damage your computer, but always be safe!

Updated to Version 3 as of April 3rd

From Easy Share:
http://www.easy-share.com/1909737800/DAItemGenerator.rar

Beta 4, Upcoming changes

* Fixed a crash when someone tries to save a crafted item to a text file (via double clicking on the item description)
    * Added the ability to put an optional filter on to only generate items for several optional archetypes/classes (such as warrior, rogue, mage, archer, ranged(such as throwing axes), tank, Support Mage, and Damage Mage)
    * Got rid of the Weapons file. Weapons are now in the Items file.
    * Put in the Set Item creation tool. For real, this time.
    * Changed some default values around.
    * Added preliminary saving to HTML files with formatting(note: this may not make the release)
    * Beginnings of random generic NPC generation. Will create stats, name, and fill out with items, based upon certain parameters (such as Warrior/Archer, rogue/assassin, etc..)

Beta 3 Changelist:

* Fixed the title.

* Added Penalties, as a flat %. The more Enchantment Effects, the more chance of a penalty to appear. Of course, the percentages and penalties themselves are editable.

* Added fields for Advanced Magic Enchantments, but not enabled....yet

* Colour Coded: Black is nothing special, Gray is a trash item, Red is a higher quality item, Green is a Magical item. Orange is an Artefact, and Violet is a Grand Artefact.

* Added ability to randomize Artefact items. Artefacts and Grand Artefacts are much more powerful regular items, but much much more rare, and usually have just as many penalties as they do bonuses.

*Item Crafting: You can now craft items using a drag and drop interface, adding penalties and enchantments with ease. You can even set the description (and name) of the item to whatever you want. Right down to the price!

*Introducing Slotted weapons and items (Some items cannot be slotted). Runes come in two flavours, and items can have 1, 2 or 3 slots on them. Regular runes are just like normal items, but Ancient runes are much more rare, and more deadly....to the user and opponent alike!

*Fixed the item pricing system. It worked mostly fine before, so you shouldn't notice a huge tweak, but with the introduction of artefacts and other more powerful items, I had to find a better way to balance everything. Regardless: Everything is still changeable through varibles. What you should see now, is items with one enchantment aren't too expensive, but artefacts with 4 or 5 become worthy of their power. Use sparingly, this isn't D&D ;)

A few notes:

Double Click on the Item generation report to save the item out as a Text File.
If you make a selection, and you want it to NOT be randomized, be sure you click the LOCK option.

Also, feel free to toy around with the Variable section, to see what each one does, they'll reset on program reload so you can't mess it up for too long.

The Data files are in the \Data directory. I recommend Open Office, but Excel or even Notepad can open the files. All the files are COMMA delimited, except for the Magic file, which is Semicolon (;) delimited.

Most important, post your feedback! If you're downloading it, Let me know!

Ps:
Try and break it to find bugs!
Last edited by cKerensky on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.
cKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Adonis Rai'Lok » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:45 am

Well we had a session of DA last night and it went wonderfully the entire group was so excited to accually get items to sell rather than just gereric silver and copper. The program worked perfectly, all i had to do was upgrade my .net framework

Thanks so much for making this program. Maybe for an encore you could make a generic NPC generator...hehe
Adonis Rai'Lok
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cKerensky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 am

Edit: New version Relased. Go get it!
Last edited by cKerensky on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Magic Item Generator Beta Download

Postby Timberboar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

cKerensky wrote:The installer *should* take care of installing everything, if not, you'll need at *least* Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5, which can be downloaded for free

Apparently not. I tried to run it and was told I needed .Net Framework 4.0. I'm currently running 3.5 SP 1.

Alas, I can't find a link to the 4.0 RC anywhere... My google-fu is weak, apparently.
Timberboar
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cKerensky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 am

Updated the file to the new release version. Shouldnt need RC4 anymore, will work on .net 3.5. No need to install anything with this version, just extract and run.

The Semi-colon delimited file doesn't like excel too much, so either use the In-App editor, notepad, or Open Office. Excel will work with the other files.
cKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Magic Item Generator Beta Download

Postby Adonis Rai'Lok » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Timberboar wrote:
cKerensky wrote:The installer *should* take care of installing everything, if not, you'll need at *least* Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5, which can be downloaded for free

Apparently not. I tried to run it and was told I needed .Net Framework 4.0. I'm currently running 3.5 SP 1.

Alas, I can't find a link to the 4.0 RC anywhere... My google-fu is weak, apparently.

It took me a while to get it to work as well, if you go to microsoft.com and search for .net framework 4.0 beta you can download it for free and the program will run just fine.
Adonis Rai'Lok
Bystander
Bystander

Postby solaris » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Awesome Job to both Firallon and cKerensky!

I downloaded and am testing it out to see how well it works for me.

thanks!
solaris
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cKerensky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Next version is up
Last edited by cKerensky on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Postby JasperAK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:00 pm

nice work :D
JasperAK
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cKerensky » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Version 3 is up!
cKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Magic Item Generator v.3 Download

Postby cKerensky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I've been working silently behind the scenes, though not as much as I would have liked (work and all that), on a new version of the Magic Item Generator.

This new version will have Stores (so that a DM can generate or set a pre-set list of items), pre-set items (so if you "just" want an iron sword, you can do just that), unique items (not quite artefacts, maybe not even magical, but with a small story to go with it. Maybe as an interesting quest point?), NPC character generation (Your party suddenly attack a store keeper and his two mercs? Didn't plan for it? 5 seconds and you're set!).

Most importantly, I have three questions for the community!

1) Would you like this to become more of an active GM tool? The scope is now much larger then I had planned originally.

2) Is there a desire for such an application? Would you guys like/use something like this?

3) If yes, to the above, what would you like to see in it? Map Generation? Random diddy quests? Anything!

Thanks guys!
cKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Postby IzualTheMighty » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Oddly just last night I was wanting a random NPC generator and Item generator.
-IzualTheMighty
IzualTheMighty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Arimmus » Mon May 16, 2011 4:01 pm

I had downloaded this a while back and I wish I kept this. And Now I can't get this... This makes me sad panda. On the other hand I am Currently Working on a conversion guild for D&D to the ageless system. I was hoping to use this as a reference.
Arimmus Thoma

" I has a maptool framework coming along for DRAGON AGE! "
Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nazgul » Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 am

If some one has this, it would be great if you share it.

And I would really like to see this work continued!
"That is not dead which can eternally lie. And with strange eons even death may die."
Nazgul
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mxninja » Thu May 19, 2011 7:31 am

cKerensky wrote:I've been working silently behind the scenes, though not as much as I would have liked (work and all that), on a new version of the Magic Item Generator.

This new version will have Stores (so that a DM can generate or set a pre-set list of items), pre-set items (so if you "just" want an iron sword, you can do just that), unique items (not quite artifacts, maybe not even magical, but with a small story to go with it. Maybe as an interesting quest point?), NPC character generation (Your party suddenly attack a store keeper and his two mercs? Didn't plan for it? 5 seconds and you're set!).

Most importantly, I have three questions for the community!

1) Would you like this to become more of an active GM tool? The scope is now much larger then I had planned originally.

2) Is there a desire for such an application? Would you guys like/use something like this?

3) If yes, to the above, what would you like to see in it? Map Generation? Random didly quests? Anything!

Thanks guys!

I use this program all the time in my games. First, a BIG kuddos to you CK for making it. :P As for your questions......

1. Yes, this would make a great GM tool. The ability to make-up shop supplies on the fly would be GREAT!

2. See above intro. :wink: I would use it. I have all the pdf files on my laptop and access them during the game, this would be an extra tool that I would use.

3. I'm not sure what else you could program into it..... not being a programmer. Though an idea other than random quests could be random rumors/quests on boards.... such as for the Chantry Board, or Blackstone missions and Mage's Collective....

So, hope this helps. And again, thanks for the wonderful program.
mxninja
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sync » Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Followed the link in the first post...

...says File is Deleted...? :(
Tell a man there are a hundred billion stars in the Universe and he'll believe you. Tell a man the bench has wet paint on it and he'll touch it just to be sure.
Sync
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Arimmus » Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Makes me sad, It was good too, and now its gone... If anyone has it , please re-up!
Arimmus Thoma

Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Scion of Haven » Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm

I also seem to be unable to download the generator. I get the same "file was deleted" message.
Scion of Haven
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby rebaf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I have magic item generator v3. Here is the link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/80521288/DAItemGenerator.rar

Too bad the project to expand the tool was abandoned.
rebaf
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Arimmus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 pm

I am working on something like it, although my coding skills need work. I'm putting it in my Framework for maptools.,
Arimmus Thoma

Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Return to Dragon Age RPG