Ronin Roundtable: Critical Role – Vestiges of Divergence
As we’re closing in on the finish line for Critical Role: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting, I’m putting the finishing touches on the chapter that deals with the heroes of the land. Part and parcel of that hero experience is, of course, magic items, and Tal’Dorei has some very cool things to offer, in the form of Vestiges of Divergence.
For those not in the know, the Vestiges are holdovers from a powerful magical era. When found, their power is subdued, after long years slumbering. But as the hero accomplishes more and greater tasks, the magic of the Vestiges stirs and begins to rise, allowing heroes to advance these items first to awakened status and finally to exalted status through the performance of great feats or personal development.
For today’s post, I’m going to share with you the Pyremaul, a massive hammer filled with potent elemental power.
Weapon (maul), legendary (requires attunement)
Forged from deep red iron, this massive hammer houses an ever-burning gemstone of orange flame. You have a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with this weapon. When you hit with an attack using this weapon, the target takes an additional 1d6 fire damage.
You can choose to have this weapon shed bright light in a 30 foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. If you kill a creature with an attack using this weapon, the corpse is immolated, turning to ash.
When a character awakens Pyremaul, apply the following changes to the item’s traits:
- Increase the bonus to attack rolls to a +2.
- Increase the additional fire damage inflicted by a hit to 2d6.
- When you score a critical hit with this weapon, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
When a character exalts Pyremaul, apply the following changes to the item’s traits:
- Increase the bonus to attack rolls to a +3.
- Increase the additional fire damage inflicted by a hit to 3d6.
- When you score a critical hit with this weapon, the target must succeed on a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The target also suffers an additional 3d6 fire damage from the critical hit.
(It should be noted that this item is currently in-development, and this draft may not reflect its final description.)